2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perform a emissions on a 2020 escape, test failed due to no communication to there analyzer. Ford told me that they disconnect battery for 5 min to reset system, and i retest it again, now monitors not ready, Ford said if it is the same problem after performing drive cycle or try a different brand of analyzer. ( I am like no that is not going to work no emission inspection stations are going to buy a new machine to fix no communication). Took to several emission testing stations, same problem .i am going to take to ford again. see what happens .any thought.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Perform a emissions on a 2020 escape, test failed due to no communication to there analyzer. Ford told me that they disconnect battery for 5 min to reset system, and i retest it again, now monitors not ready, Ford said if it is the same problem after performing drive cycle or try a different brand of analyzer. ( I am like no that is not going to work no emission inspection stations are going to buy a new machine to fix no communication). Took to several emission testing stations, same problem .i am going to take to ford again. see what happens .any thought.
Warranty???

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a known issue with 2020 Escapes and emissions testing due to faulty communications with the module. It happened on mine. In MA, there is a state-directed procedure for an override until Ford fixes it with a software or hardware update. It also affects the 2020 Corsair.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
32 Posts
There is a known issue with 2020 Escapes and emissions testing due to faulty communications with the module. It happened on mine. In MA, there is a state-directed procedure for an override until Ford fixes it with a software or hardware update. It also affects the 2020 Corsair.

I guess that explains why I can't get OBD emissions readiness status on the vehicle. It doesn't even connect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter has a 2020 Escape platinum in Clark County, NV that won't pass emission inspection because it won't connect through the OBD port for analysis. Two shops there couldn't connect to the car and she took it to a Ford dealer in Vegas that said the OBD port was working. Sooo, she took it back to a state emission inspection station and it wouldn't connect. State DMV did give her a pass for one year on emission inspection, so she can get the vehicle plated (it came from SC). A clerk at the DMV did say they thought there was a Ford TBS on this issue, but I have yet to find anything. At a loss what to do now. Go to another Ford dealer in Vegas? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
603 Posts
I just had my 2020 in to have codes read. The technician was unable to get in using old Ford shop software. He had to use new software, and then had no issues. Is it possible the shops didn't use the new version?

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,431 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they needed to update their OBD II software.
The dealers have to use FDRS for the 2020MY+ Escapes\Kuga\Corsair anything prior uses IDS.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Already a thread on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Interesting about MA. Do you have any reference for this override procedure that my daughter might show the LV folks?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting about MA. Do you have any reference for this override procedure that my daughter might show the LV folks?
I don't have anything specific. As noted above. It affects 20+ Escape and Corsair. MA RMV was aware of the issue in February and told inspection shops to override and pass the vehicles. My Ford dealer was also aware and did the override after a local shop failed to. Surprisingly, I spoke with RMV Field Director and got a refund from the local shop that didn't pass my vehicle.

Dealer write-up only says:

STATE INSPECTION SYSTEM IS AWARE OF ISSUES WITH ESCAPE COMMUNICATION PROBLEM WITH REGISTRY COMPUTERS AND IS WORKING WITH FORD TO FIX ISSUE - WAIVER ISSUED ON VEHICLE FOR INSPECTION

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm in TENNESSEE and i went to 3 different emission test sites. The third one the manager came over and said that the 2020/2021 Fords/Lincolns of this series need to get tested via the tail pipe til the software issue is resolved. apparently some of the test stations here knew that and some didn't. he mentioned escape, ranger, mkc and corsair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts