2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did my first oil change in my 2013 Ford Escape. Pretty straight forward, but messier than I thought when I got to the Filter.

I unscrewed the filter from below (vehicle on ramps). This is difficult because of a few rubber lines that block the access. The filter took some maneuvering to get out, and even hard to get a new filter in.

It seems that the Oil Filter installs onto the Oil Cooler, which has what appears to be an ingoing and outgoing line. One line goes straight into the Cooler with a hose clamp to hold in place. It would seem that by detaching the oil line, it would allow for an easier removal of the Filter, and would also allow for the filter to drain bit more prior to removal.

So far I have not found anything in online tutorials about the do it yourself oil change. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone try this before?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I changed on my old 2013. You are correct, it is difficult but possible to do job. A good filter wrench helps. I would NOT disconnect oil cooler lines to make it easier. Just struggle through or take to dealer. First time on 2013. Did you buy used? How many miles on car? What engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.6 l engine. I purchased in 2015 from my company when it came off lease at 52K. I was getting oil changes done for me but decided I was more than capable to handle some of the maintenance by myself. Has 90K miles now.

It is definitely doable as is, but I just always look for a better way to do things and figured someone else may have tried it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To reduce clean-up due to oil spillage, I shape a piece of HD aluminum foil (to act like a funnel) and install under the filter and above the plumbing. This will help guide the draining oil into a drain pan :)

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
To reduce clean-up due to oil spillage, I shape a piece of HD aluminum foil (to act like a funnel) and install under the filter and above the plumbing. This will help guide the draining oil into a drain pan :)
Now that you mention it, I did that as well. works great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently did my first oil change in my 2013 Ford Escape. Pretty straight forward, but messier than I thought when I got to the Filter.

I unscrewed the filter from below (vehicle on ramps). This is difficult because of a few rubber lines that block the access. The filter took some maneuvering to get out, and even hard to get a new filter in.

It seems that the Oil Filter installs onto the Oil Cooler, which has what appears to be an ingoing and outgoing line. One line goes straight into the Cooler with a hose clamp to hold in place. It would seem that by detaching the oil line, it would allow for an easier removal of the Filter, and would also allow for the filter to drain bit more prior to removal.

So far I have not found anything in online tutorials about the do it yourself oil change. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone try this before? View attachment 76414
they are probably not 'oil lines' but coolant lines/hoses going into the oil cooler - so if you took it off it would be most likely draining coolant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find it a lot easier when removing the oil filter on my 2105 1.6L by hooking a bungee cord around the rubber hose blocking access to the filter and pulling it sideways out of the way, with out removing any hoses..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts