2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was changing the oil on my 2016 Escape (2.0L AWD Titanium) and noticed oil on the bottom of the oil pan. Looked closer and it looks to be coming from the timing cover. It should be under the powertrain warranty still. Do you guys know if this kind of leak is typically covered? I have 47K miles on it right now. I am going to take to the dealer on Monday when they open to have them look. Thanks in advance. Looking at how tight it is in here really is making me stress about having to do anything major on the motor once its out of powertrain...

20200109_194446.jpg 20200109_194444.jpg 20200109_185828.jpg 20200109_191720.jpg 20200109_192341.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
You may be out of warranty :cry:. My 2015 FE came with a 3 years/36,000 (whichever comes first) warranty.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oil leak? Probably not. It's not a mechanical failure like a rod or main bearing. It's a seal, ancillary.

It looks more like it could be the crank seal, crank angle sensor seal or a combination of both. The sensor itself will have an O-ring that will usually shrink and/or crack and cause a leak. The Crank seal itself should be easy but I've heard the 2.0 Eco boost motors require a special non-traditional tool to remove/install the crank pulley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oil leak? Probably not. It's not a mechanical failure like a rod or main bearing. It's a seal, ancillary.

It looks more like it could be the crank seal, crank angle sensor seal or a combination of both. The sensor itself will have an O-ring that will usually shrink and/or crack and cause a leak. The Crank seal itself should be easy but I've heard the 2.0 Eco boost motors require a special non-traditional tool to remove/install the crank pulley.
Oh joy. This is my first Ford I've had and likely the last if thats the case that it's not covered. :/
I looked up the warranty online (took a second to find it) and this is covered according to the manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-Car-Lt-Truck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_10_2015.pdf

Hopefully this helps someone else out in the future that has a similar issue. I have it scheduled to be taking in next week since the local dealer is booked up. I'll let everyone know what the end result was once I get the info back from them.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Yeah, my 2013 front engine cover leaked early on during my ownership. The whole experience sucked. BTW, they had to lift and tilt my engine to do the work. Needless to say the arseclowns didn't put half of my hardware back (wheel well liner, cowl panel, stuff like that). Totally disillusioned with that Ford dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Yeah, my 2013 front engine cover leaked early on during my ownership. The whole experience sucked. BTW, they had to lift and tilt my engine to do the work. Needless to say the arseclowns didn't put half of my hardware back (wheel well liner, cowl panel, stuff like that). Totally disillusioned with that Ford dealership.
Did they eventually make it right after you brought it to their attention?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Did they eventually make it right after you brought it to their attention?
I replaced all the missing hardware myself. Called Ford and they gave me Premium Care until 75,000 miles. Never had any other problems with the vehicle, per Murphy’s law (Murphy knew I had an ESP). Bought an ESP up to 125,000 mile coverage when that expired but I sold at 122,000. So Murphy didn’t get his chance. Haha

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was changing the oil on my 2016 Escape (2.0L AWD Titanium) and noticed oil on the bottom of the oil pan. Looked closer and it looks to be coming from the timing cover. It should be under the powertrain warranty still. Do you guys know if this kind of leak is typically covered? I have 47K miles on it right now. I am going to take to the dealer on Monday when they open to have them look. Thanks in advance. Looking at how tight it is in here really is making me stress about having to do anything major on the motor once its out of powertrain...

View attachment 76041 View attachment 76042 View attachment 76043 View attachment 76044 View attachment 76045
[/It definitely is covered ( timing cover oil leak) as I just had the work done on my wifes 2015 Titanium AWD with only 34K miles. It is NOT an easy DIY task so I lucked out as only had a week left on the timing portion of the 5 yr power train warranty. Demosan

·
Registered
3 Posts
About three months ago I decided to try to save a few bucks on my wife’s car by changing my own oil. Used all factory recommendations and did it just like the old man taught me 35 years ago without any issues (I thought). I even remembered to put a light coat of new oil on the filter gasket. I may have overfilled it slightly (less than a quarter quart) so I wasn’t surprised when I got a little bit of an oil burning smell for the next couple weeks.

After Covid hit this car wifey started working from home so car is sitting a lot. I started to notice an occasional oil smoke from tailpipe during start up. Again—I wasn’t too worried about it because I thought I’d overfilled the reservoir just a touch and my driveway is on an incline (factor?). The change oil light was on—hadn’t googled how to turn it off since oil changebut because I didn’t know the code to turn it off so I wasn’t concerned about it. I should mention this is the all-wheel-drive 2.0 L from 2015 and has about 67,000 miles on it ( still within the six year powertrain warranty but we are over the 60,000 mile mileage part of the warranty). The car was purchased in Fairbanks, Alaska and was driven for three years in Hawaii before we retired in Texas. I bought a service plan with the car and had done all old changes on schedule religiously because they were paid for until 36,000 miles. Since then have changed every 7500-10k (fully synthetic) or when the sensor prompted me to.

Anyway last week I dumped at least 5 quarts of oil on the highway about a mile from my house and the oil light came on. I limped home and it was still leaking a significant amount of oil in my driveway. I haven’t driven it since other than to put it on the ramps and will post photos today. Reading that timing belt seal could be an issue or perhaps crankshaft seal? Something blew out pretty fast—there was so much oil on the highway that I almost called the fire department. Reading about carbon buildup and turbo—any advice about where to start? Pics forthcoming. I’m fairly savvy w a wrench and have plenty of time to work on it...trying to avoid dealer involvement.
All advice appreciated and welcome here some pics.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It is probably normal for it to blow a bit of smoke if you overfilled it. Also the oil service light will remain on til you reset it. Plenty of info here on how to do that if you do a search.
As far as the car dumping oil we cannot really comment until you find out where it is coming from. The engine sump, transmission or diff? Unlikely to be the timing belt or crankshaft seal but we have no pics at this stage. Perhaps you are unable to post them yet as a new member.
Did you check the engine dipstick as if it came from there it is possible you cross threaded the sump plug or the oil filter wasn't fitted correctly and the seal suddenly let go.

We need more info please...:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem solved—the filter fell off! New filter, new oil, seems to be running fine. I always hand tighten the filters...have never had a problem until now? A bit embarrassed—a lot relieved! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Problem solved—the filter fell off! New filter, new oil, seems to be running fine. I always hand tighten the filters...have never had a problem until now? A bit embarrassed—a lot relieved! Thanks for the feedback.
With such rapid and complete oil (pressure) loss, and then driving home, I'd be very concerned about engine damage to the bearing and other wear surfaces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With such rapid and complete oil (pressure) loss, and then driving home, I'd be very concerned about engine damage to the bearing and other wear surfaces.
I am concerned as well. Fortunately it happened very close to home. Sounds normal (no pings, etc) but we hoped to put another.\00K on this car. We’ll see! Won’t be using the that filter again—it fit snug but didn’t grab as many threads as I would have liked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts