2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem. Hood starts to vibrate at speeds of 50 plus MPH. Yes I have been to service and the body shop. Yes the little adjusters under the hood were adjusted, there was a little play from the factory. Seemed to help a little. Now going on the interstate it starts doing the vibrate dance to where you turn off the radio and it is humming and vibrating pretty bad. If anyone else has had this problem and had it fixed it would really help keep my sanity!!!!

Thanks a million!

· Registered
2,762 Posts
That's ridiculous in a new car. The dealer should be able to sort it out with a combination of adjusting the hinges and rubber stoppers, adding rubber packing or whatever.
Surely they can feel movement in certain places of the hood by pressing on it to see where the problem lies.

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
90 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire White Hood Light

My hood also vibrates at higher speeds. Only the very back edge of the hood moves up and down a few tenths of an inch when driving over 55 mph. it’s not real noticeable but it is visible. I noted that the hood only has two rubber hood support bumper pads at the front sides of the hood. There are no rubber bumper pads at the back sides of the hood at all. All the other cars I’ve owned also have rubber support pads at the back sides of the hood.

the hood does not feel loose at all when I pull up and push down at the back edge with my hand. The only vertical movement is from the force of my hand flexing the hood.

The wind-induced resonant vibration is a result of the aluminum hood flexing at the back edge due to the long span from the rear hinge attachment points to the rear center hood edge.

Clearly, locating hood support bumpers at the back edges of the hood would suppress this wind-induced resonant vibration.

there are two rectangular open holes in the back of the front fenders right where a rear rubber hood support bumper could/would be placed.

can someone who doesn’t have the hood vibration issue look to see if there are any rubber rear hood supports on the 2021 Escape close to the windshield. See photo attached of the rectangular fender holes.

· Registered
3 Posts
Mine does the same thing...you are not alone. It drive me nuts too. I've had a little bit of success adjusting those rubber stops but there is nothing in the back. As previously mentioned that far back reaching hinge does not help the situation. I'm concerned about long term metal fatigue will stress fracture the hinges after warranty is up!

Gramps

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine does the same thing...you are not alone. It drive me nuts too. I've had a little bit of success adjusting those rubber stops but there is nothing in the back. As previously mentioned that far back reaching hinge does not help the situation. I'm concerned about long term metal fatigue will stress fracture the hinges after warranty is up!

Gramps
Hopefully some one will chime in with a " I fixed it" post!!

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem. Hood starts to vibrate at speeds of 50 plus MPH. Yes I have been to service and the body shop. Yes the little adjusters under the hood were adjusted, there was a little play from the factory. Seemed to help a little. Now going on the interstate it starts doing the vibrate dance to where you turn off the radio and it is humming and vibrating pretty bad. If anyone else has had this problem and had it fixed it would really help keep my sanity!!!!

Thanks a million!
take it back again, until its fixed. thats waht new car warranty is for.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Same issues on the Bronco Sport as well..

· Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
79 Posts
I'm seeing this on my 2021 Hybrid. Haven't taken it in yet, but plan to do so.

I'm so conflicted about this car. I love the design and all the thoughtful touches throughout (like the duplicate audio controls, the button that turns the screen off, the light in the tailgate that illuminates the ground, the clever hood release etc. etc. There's a level of attention to usability that you don't find in Hondas or Toyotas (my wife's Highlander is an ergonomic nightmare). But the quality of the materials and workmanship is so disappointing. Some of the cockpit controls feel great when operating; others feel like they're going to fall off. There are sloppy welds visible when you open the liftgate. Buzzes and rattles on rough pavement. And the hood problem.

· Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
17 Posts
There shouldn’t been that much vibration and air passage in the engine compartment during highway speeds as the active grill shutters should be closed to slow a lot of it down. I’m thinking that there is rubber baffles that surround the radiator and each side that maybe are out of place or there is a shield of some sort missing.

· Registered
20 Posts
There shouldn’t been that much vibration and air passage in the engine compartment during highway speeds as the active grill shutters should be closed to slow a lot of it down. I’m thinking that there is rubber baffles that surround the radiator and each side that maybe are out of place or there is a shield of some sort missing.
Affects mine too. Car build date Aug. 2021, SEL Hybrid. Vibration starts right as the speedometer hits 80, so I suspect it has to do with the grill shutters. Now thats in calm winds. Have noted if winds are gusty, or if behind a truck, it may start about 75.

I am not on the highway at those speeds too often, but its been very consistent.

· Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
17 Posts
Another thing is too, these hoods are made of aluminum now so there’s going to be some flexing but I suspect some are having air flow in places where there shouldn’t be. But be certain your hood isn’t going to fly up.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About to take a road trip on the Interstate in a couple hours. Will attempt to record it...
Awesome, i would but i also posted a link from the Bronco sport forums. There is a video there as well, same stuff. I ordered hood struts from Red line. Going to install this weekend to see if it helps. (y)

· Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same thing all the time. I've had it at the dealership more than once. The last time, they reflashed the communication module, and it worked fine for a few days. But now it is back to doing it regularly. BUT, my car has never not manually started by me getting in and pressing the start button. It's only been in "deep sleep mode" as far as the app was concerned. But never actually dead dead. I expect you'll get the under-the-hood rattling noise soon...if you haven't already...
Whats the fix for the under hood rattle?

· Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
7,550 Posts
Whats the fix for the under hood rattle?
I moved your post to a more applicable thread. If this is not your issue. Please let me know.

· Registered
20 Posts
Awesome, i would but i also posted a link from the Bronco sport forums. There is a video there as well, same stuff. I ordered hood struts from Red line. Going to install this weekend to see if it helps. (y)
So I did go on that ride, but it was busy so I couldnt really get the car up to a consistent 80 mph except for brief periods. My recording also suffered as I couldnt concentrate on that in the traffic, but the hood did visibly start its vibration, and it briefly did start the rhythmic larger scale "flutter".

Will post the vid after I download it for any limited value it might have.

One issue may also have been (and I'm sticking with the hypothesis of the involvement of the shutters here) is the air temperature. When I first noted the issue, the temps were in the 60s- low 70s', and the other day they were 40's. The grill shutters move through 16 different positions, and are controlled by the PCM based on a number of factors, all related to engine and other component temps. With it being a colder day, the shutters may not have been swinging to full open for instance and shoving as high a volume of ram air through the engine bay. Again, a hypothesis at the moment....

[edit- paraphrased from the service manual not quoting directly so hoping to avoid copyright worries of Vader] The grill shutters move through 16 different positions, and are controlled by the PCM based on a number of factors, all related to engine and other component temps. Elements are: vehicle speed, coolant temp, ambient temp, a/c system pressure, and others...

Dont know anythiing about FORSCAN but wonder if there is a way to capture what the grill settings are when driving?

Anyway, will be doing a trip from Chicago to Cincinnati week after next, so will try and replicate then.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, installed hood struts. Like the idea of no prop, easy to install. It made a slight change on the hood shuddering. Less than before. Going to do the adjusting on the hood stops to see if it helps. Talked to my service manager and yes it is a common problem with the Edge, Bronco sport and our beloved Escapes. If anyone finds a fix please post here. Ford will respond after enough people are over it.

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
90 Posts
The grill shutters are likely completely closed at speeds above 30-40 mph except in high engine load driving conditions such as driving up a long steep grade on a very hot day. This is especially true in winter with low ambient temperatures.

The grille shutters are used to improve vehicle aerodynamics at higher speeds when closed. The shutters improve gas mileage and EV range when they are closed by reducing air turbulence at the front of the vehicle.

The shutters open when added airflow through the radiator or A/C evaporator is required to maintain proper operating temperatures.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts