2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
"The grill shutters are likely completely closed at speeds above 30-40 mph "

Don't agree with that supposition because of the highly dynamic nature of the numerous inputs that go into controlling the 16 positions the shutters cycle through.

There are at least two of us here in the forums who have experienced the sudden onset of this "flutter" at right about 80 mph.

#4 · 27 d ago
I'm hearing that in my 2021 HyTi too. At about 80 mph, there's a flapping noise. Going to take it in and see what they say.

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
90 Posts
"The grill shutters are likely completely closed at speeds above 30-40 mph "

Don't agree with that supposition because of the highly dynamic nature of the numerous inputs that go into controlling the 16 positions the shutters cycle through.

There are at least two of us here in the forums who have experienced the sudden onset of this "flutter" at right about 80 mph.
if your Escape was built in the following TSB time frame, this may explain the hood flutter and flapping noises coming from the engine compartment.

Some Escapes were built with an apparently defective grille shutter assembly since the TSB only covers a narrow date range. If it was a design flaw, all model year vehicles would be affected.

Again, my expectation is that the shutters are incorrectly opening at highway speeds due to a manufacturing defect in the shutters or the controls that operate them.

The shutters should be completely closed above 40 mph especially with low ambient temperatures in northern climates in winter.

Under high engine loads in a hot environment at high speeds, the shutters might open a limited few steps of the 16 total incremental steps available when necessary.

The reason they open at all is to simply keep the coolant temperature and the A/C evaporator temperature (and pressure) within design limits.

The engine compartment has close out panels that restrict the volume of airflow that can pass through it. At high speeds above 60 mph, if the grille shutters are wide open, the substantially increased air flow may pressurize the engine compartment beyond the maximum design intent.

This pressurization may force the hood upward causing the hood fluttering. It may also cause the close out panels under the engine to bend and flap due to this unusual pressure increase.

Note that you will also loose a few mpg in fuel efficiency at highway speeds with fully open grille shutters since open shutters degrade the aerodynamics by increasing air turbulence at the front of the vehicle.

Font Screenshot Number Electric blue Document

· Registered
40 Posts
I'm resurrecting this discussion from about a month ago - I took a nice 1200 mile round-trip road trip with my Escape, returning home yesterday. I did get that hood "flutter" along with a small amount of noise, starting around 75-76 MPH driving into a moderate headwind. So air speed, probably over 80 mph most of the time.

Has anybody had any success with adding bumper stops at the back (towards the windshield) end of the hood? Is it a matter of needing more "exit" airflow capacity at those speeds? Hood stiffening, perhaps? I'll keep a watch since I generally set the cruise at 75 on the interstate, and this is going to remain my travelling car since the F-150 only gets around 20-22 on the highway, mileage-wise.

· Registered
90 Posts
I have installed hood stops at the back of the hood that appear to calm down the harmonic vibration that occurs at the back edge of the hood at high speeds.

The hood stops just snap right into two existing unused rectangular holes in the fenders for a perfect fit. No modifications, drilling or cutting is required on the vehicle. The hood stops can just as easily be removed by depressing the two plastic spring latches.

The plastic bumper of the hood stop presses nicely against a flat, horizontal portion of the hood inner reinforcement. See the attached pictures for the installed hood stops which can be bought from Amazon for under $20 for the pair.

The top edge of the plastic bumper should be about 6 to 9 mm above the adjacent top edge of the fender for proper adjustment. Please start the adjustment low and slowly raise the plastic bumper head in several small incremental steps closing the hood each time. The goal is to get the plastic bumper head to press against the hood reinforcement with a little but not too much force. You can risk bending the hood if the hood stops are initially set substantially too high.

If adjusted just slightly too high, the back top corners of the hood will begin to raise up and become over-flush (high) with the back top edge of the fenders where the two line up. Back off slightly when this begins to happen for the optimal adjustment. The thread adjustment is somewhat loose so I put some silicon caulk on the shaft to keep it from rotating after adjustment was complete.

Why this possibly happens: If you prop open the hood and push on the hood where the hood hinge attaches to the aluminum hood reinforcement, there is some substantial elastic flex in the hood reinforcement attachment surface for the hood hinge. This hood reinforcement could have been designed to be stiffer with stiffening ribs added to the local geometry. I believe this flex can cause a harmonic vibration at the back edge of the hood when the hood is excited by variable wind forces at high speeds.

By adding hood stop supports near the back of the hood, the slight force applied to the hood reinforcement will increase the resonant frequency of the hood which should reduce the magnitude of the vibration.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Tire Font Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Automotive tire White Hood Light

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grille

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have installed hood stops at the back of the hood that appear to calm down the harmonic vibration that occurs at the back edge of the hood at high speeds.

The hood stops just snap right into two existing unused rectangular holes in the fenders for a perfect fit. No modifications, drilling or cutting is required on the vehicle. The hood stops can just as easily be removed by depressing the two plastic spring latches.

The plastic bumper of the hood stops presses nicely against a flat, horizontal portion of the hood inner reinforcement. See the attached pictures for the installed hood stops which can be bought from Amazon for under $20 for the pair.

The top edge of the plastic bumper should be about 6 to 9 mm above the adjacent top edge of the fender for proper adjustment. Please start the adjustment low and slowly raise the plastic bumper head in several small incremental steps closing the hood each time. The goal is to get the plastic bumper head to press against the hood reinforcement with a little but not too much force. You can risk bending the hood if the hood stops are initially set substantially too high.

If adjusted just slightly too high, the back top corners of the hood will begin to raise up and become over-flush (high) with the back top edge of the fenders where the two line up. Back off slightly when this begins to happen for the optimal adjustment. The thread adjustment is somewhat loose so I put some silicon caulk on the shaft to keep it from rotating after adjustment was complete.

Why this possibly happens: If you prop open the hood and push on the hood where the hood hinge attaches to the aluminum hood reinforcement, there is some substantial elastic flex in the hood reinforcement attachment surface for the hood hinge. This hood reinforcement could have been designed to be stiffer with stiffening ribs added to the local geometry. I believe this flex can cause a harmonic vibration at the back edge of the hood when the hood is excited by variable wind forces at high speeds.

By adding hood stop supports near the back of the hood, the slight force applied to the hood reinforcement will increase the resonant frequency of the hood which should attenuate the magnitude of the vibration.
View attachment 80675
View attachment 80678
View attachment 80676
View attachment 80677
I knew if we kinda figured out the problem people would chime in. I did install hood struts. Did not really help but calmed it down. placed order for the little rascals just now! Thank you for the update!

· Registered
40 Posts
I received and installed the bumper stops the other day. Haven't had the Escape over 65 since, but I should be able to get it out for a test run this week since I just finished up night shifts at work this morning. I may give them a final adjustment first, to make sure that they are putting a small amount of tension against the bottom of the hood (I mean, just pushing a tiny bit, not too much).

EDIT: Update, I had a chance yesterday to drive for a mile or two at 75-85 MPH. Didn't want to go too long as while I support the local sheriff, I don't want to support them THAT much. Anyway, I didn't hear/feel any "rumble" or vibration, though I did see a tiny bit of shake on the hood at those speeds. I think it'll require some additional testing. I have the bumper stops adjusted very lightly against the bottom of the hood, deciding to err on the side of caution. The plastic/rubber top on these stops is fairly hard, so not much give.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have to add an update. I got the vibration yesterday, driving about 74 into a headwind. So this morning, I raised the hood stops about 1/2 turn (I don't know the thread pitch, but I raised it 1/2 of the space between threads, maybe 1/16 of an inch or so, 1 mm. Anyway, drove it 75, even 85 MPH into the wind today and had no vibration. Again, time will tell, but if the hood stops work long-term, I'll share that information here.

As you can see, I used a wing nut as a locking nut so that I could loosen and readjust the hood stops as needed. I would have used a regular nut, but these happened to be the right thread. They're either brass or copper, which doesn't matter.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well tried this and it worked!

set it dead center. No vibes at all.

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
I reckon I'd better reply - my experimentation with the hood stops resulted in a reduction of vibration, but I could still induce it. Mostly dealing with a headwind, or close to a headwind while driving at speed. I got it to vibrate going about 80 a couple of times, when the wind was right.

Anyway, after reading Dude1967's post, I ordered the garage wall protector foam material, and will be doing what he did to see if that dampens out the vibration. Seems that a center-hood location would be helpful. I'll report my results.

· Registered
20 Posts
I reckon I'd better reply - my experimentation with the hood stops resulted in a reduction of vibration, but I could still induce it. Mostly dealing with a headwind, or close to a headwind while driving at speed. I got it to vibrate going about 80 a couple of times, when the wind was right.

Anyway, after reading Dude1967's post, I ordered the garage wall protector foam material, and will be doing what he did to see if that dampens out the vibration. Seems that a center-hood location would be helpful. I'll report my results.
Has anyone gotten this problem addressed with the above mentioned TSB yet?

I have my car scheduled with Fox Ford in Chicago on July 14th...

Uploaded a short vid taken a few months ago. May be hard to hear, but it most consistently happens when I get to 80 mph.

With somewhat decent speakers you can hear the rapid "dududududuh" sound disappear as I slowed below 80 and then return as I sped back up.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, did the recall helped a ton. I still left the small bumper pad in the dead center of the hood also helped. Its been nut picky things on this Escape, but its one of my favorites!

· Registered
90 Posts
I just had this TSB done by the dealer:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10208819-0001.pdf
The hood shake at speeds ove 65 mph that plagued my car for several months is now completely gone. I removed the extra rear hood supports I had added previously as they are no longer necessary since the TSB parts were installed. Two hood air ducts between the front grille and the radiator were replaced under this TSB.

· Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
79 Posts
I just had this TSB done by the dealer:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10208819-0001.pdf
The hood shake at speeds ove 65 mph that plagued my car for several months is now completely gone. I removed the extra rear hood supports I had added previously as they are no longer necessary since the TSB parts were installed. Two hood air ducts between the front grille and the radiator were replaced under this TSB.
I had the exact same experience. BTW, my car was actually not within the build dates specified by the TSB, but they performed it and it fixed the problem. No more hood shake and no more buzzing/vibration.

· Registered
20 Posts
Yes, did the recall helped a ton. I still left the small bumper pad in the dead center of the hood also helped. Its been nut picky things on this Escape, but its one of my favorites!
Thanks.

The Service rep I talked to today was decidedly noncommittal. There was dissembling about having to wait until the 4th quarter of 2022 before it could be fixed.

And that is -IF- they can replicate the problem in order to initiate the repair.

She even said that the tech may not be able to get on the highway here in the city and get fast enough to do that!

Really?!?!? That triggered me a bit.

If they want business, would seem to me that when a customer comes in with an issue they could at least say, "We are sorry to hear that and will do our best to make things right"

How hard is that?

· Registered
90 Posts
Thanks.

The Service rep I talked to today was decidedly noncommittal. There was dissembling about having to wait until the 4th quarter of 2022 before it could be fixed.

And that is -IF- they can replicate the problem in order to initiate the repair.

She even said that the tech may not be able to get on the highway here in the city and get fast enough to do that!
This happened to me at my original dealer. They refused to fix it because they couldn’t reproduce the noise since they could only go 65 mph on the expressway and the noise starts at 75 mph. The service tech did acknowledge observing the hood shake but it was his opinion that the hood shake was normal and he wouldn’t do the TSB.

The second dealer I went to ordered the part right away with no hassle and installed it when it came in. The hood shake and noise completely went away with the TSB fix. The original dealer’s service tech was completely wrong in his diagnosis, assessment and conclusion.

Needless to say, I have switched dealers for my service.

I believe that the hood air ducts replaced by the TSB were out of spec and interfered with the automatic grille shutters preventing them from closing at high speeds as they are designed to do and that is what caused the noise and hood shake.

Note that this issue, if not fixed, will reduce aerodynamic efficiency when driving over about 50 mph, reducing your electric range and reducing your fuel mileage.

· Registered
20 Posts
I received and installed the bumper stops the other day. Haven't had the Escape over 65 since, but I should be able to get it out for a test run this week since I just finished up night shifts at work this morning. I may give them a final adjustment first, to make sure that they are putting a small amount of tension against the bottom of the hood (I mean, just pushing a tiny bit, not too much).

EDIT: Update, I had a chance yesterday to drive for a mile or two at 75-85 MPH. Didn't want to go too long as while I support the local sheriff, I don't want to support them THAT much. Anyway, I didn't hear/feel any "rumble" or vibration, though I did see a tiny bit of shake on the hood at those speeds. I think it'll require some additional testing. I have the bumper stops adjusted very lightly against the bottom of the hood, deciding to err on the side of caution. The plastic/rubber top on these stops is fairly hard, so not much give.
This vid does a much better job at capturing the flutter sound...which in my case at least you can also noticeably feel:

· Registered
90 Posts
This vid does a much better job at capturing the flutter sound...which in my case at least you can also noticeably feel:
That is the exact same sound that I would hear when going 75-80 mph on a cross country trip. However, The sound would start up or stop depending on the direction a strong cross wind was blowing at the time. The TSB eliminates that very annoying noise.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts