2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5L SE AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have joined this forum and am posting the below in an effort to gain some guidance and advice regarding my girlfriend's present situation with her 2017 Ford Escape SE. She purchased the car new in August 2017, and initially had issues with the head unit, which was replaced under warranty without issue, and did not have any other complaints or issues for several years.

Last October, at approx. 50,000 miles however, the transmission failed (no drive whatsoever) as she was on the Staten Island Expressway, which was very concerning as you could imagine. We were able to push the car off of the closest exit, park it, and have it picked up several hours later to be taken to Premier Ford in lower Brooklyn. A diagnosis came a few days later, and it was determined that the car needed a new transmission. The work order didn't specify if it was a complete trans replacement, or just the torque converter, which after reading a few threads on here, seems to be a common problem point.

Long story, short, Premier Ford did not have the car repaired until January 2021 because they were apparently waiting on parts. I have no reason to dispute that, nor were we necessarily upset as we were provided with a loaner - a Ford Ecosport, which btw I would not recommend as it's far too cramped and seriously low on power.

Several months then pass without issue. Now, almost two weeks ago, at 55,000 miles, her transmission seems to have failed again! - This time as she was just about to get on the Staten Island Expressway. The car is still waiting for a diagnosis for an official cause, but again, no drive whatsoever. We therefore texted one of the service personnel that we were dealing with previously at Premier Ford, and we were told that they wouldn't even have a transmission tech to look at the car until NOVEMBER! WTF! In addition, when we asked if they had any rentals, the same person never responded.

We therefore had the car towed to Dana Ford on Staten Island as we were advised that they would have a transmission tech in about a month, and a diagnostic before the end of the month, which is still an absurd amount of time. On top of that, Dana doesn't have any loaners due to the ongoing chip shortage, and neither do the most immediate dealerships in the surrounding areas.

So, here's where we are: it looks and sounds like whatever the issue is with the transmission will be covered under the powertrain warranty as the car is 5,000 mi. shy of the 60,000 limit, and just under 4 weeks shy of the 5 year limit. Nonetheless, as you can understand, we no longer have any confidence in this car, even if the trans is repaired again, and we are quickly losing faith in Ford's customer service as they have not been able to secure a loaner in almost two weeks. My girlfriend absolutely NEEDS her car for work, as well as to babysit her nieces and nephew from time to time.

As such, we are considering asking Ford to buy the car back once it's fixed, or asking the dealership that performed the initial transmission repair for a stellar deal on a 2021 Escape given this massive inconvenience in less than a year. But, what would you do in this scenario? Are there any Ford reps on here that can help? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the bump, but we're still looking for any insight anyone can provide. We're just about two weeks since the car was brought to Dana Ford, and we still don't have a diagnostics done on it. What's better is that the emails to Dana Ford, as well as the Ford customer service rep, Enoch, have gone unanswered for the last week. And still no loaner available.

This is absurd at this point. Not a single person at Dana Ford, or at Ford's customer service seems willing to provide any assistance to move this towards a resolution.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE FWD, 1.5L
23 Posts
I know that a LOT of dealers are having hard times even getting someone qualified to look at things right now (and this could be a lingering problem for the next while).

Make sure to be polite, we’re all human on the other end.

It sucks to hear what sounds like unresponsiveness from your dealer. Do you have the ability to go there in person? That may help get some traction. (as sad as that sounds)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that a LOT of dealers are having hard times even getting someone qualified to look at things right now (and this could be a lingering problem for the next while).

Make sure to be polite, we’re all human on the other end.

It sucks to hear what sounds like unresponsiveness from your dealer. Do you have the ability to go there in person? That may help get some traction. (as sad as that sounds)
Thank you for your reply, Chris. And certainly, we've been polite this whole time - but we've been met with nothing but radio silence, which is now unacceptable.

I understand being short-staffed. However, I don't understand why Ford CS can't simply authorize a third-party rental.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,714 Posts
Have you checked
Thank you for your reply, Chris. And certainly, we've been polite this whole time - but we've been met with nothing but radio silence, which is now unacceptable.

I understand being short-staffed. However, I don't understand why Ford CS can't simply authorize a third-party rental.
Have you checked reviews for other Ford dealers in your area? Maybe a third dealer trip is needed at a higher rated dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked

Have you checked reviews for other Ford dealers in your area? Maybe a third dealer trip is needed at a higher rated dealership.
Hey Vader, yes, and sadly they're not that great in our immediate area. But, we have an update, Ford CS has reached out to us and let us know that they're reached out to several other dealers, most of them in NJ not too far from us. One of them seems to be able to get the car diagnosed in 2 days, and thereafter have a loaner ready within a week.

As such, tomorrow, we're going to coordinate with the Ford rep to see if the car can be brought to that new dealer in NJ tomorrow or Friday so that we can get the ball rolling on at least a diagnosis at this point. Fingers crossed!

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,714 Posts
Hey Vader, yes, and sadly they're not that great in our immediate area. But, we have an update, Ford CS has reached out to us and let us know that they're reached out to several other dealers, most of them in NJ not too far from us. One of them seems to be able to get the car diagnosed in 2 days, and thereafter have a loaner ready within a week.

As such, tomorrow, we're going to coordinate with the Ford rep to see if the car can be brought to that new dealer in NJ tomorrow or Friday so that we can get the ball rolling on at least a diagnosis at this point. Fingers crossed!
That’s good to hear. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know this post is a little old but when my 2016 transmission had to be repaired I didn’t get a rental at first but when I pressed further it got repaired within a week. Pushing the rental car seems to help move things along. I would definitely play the “take it as trade today for another” angle as well. Thankfully I had my Mustang to drive but I also didn’t want to push my luck towards a “cannot duplicate” and since then it shifts perfectly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your response, GAford. We are back to square one - the Ford CS rep we had been dealing with has not responded to emails, and has failed to call us back as he said he would. The car is still at Dana Ford without a diagnosis, and All American is now saying that they can't get us a loaner until October 18th.

This whole situation has gone from ridiculous to pure absurdity. Can anyone in the NY, NJ, CT ti-state area provide assistance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the saga continues.

The Ford CS rep we were working with is no longer returning calls or emails. We therefore took matters into our own hands, and reached out to a few dealers. The most promising, All American in Old Bridge, NJ confirmed that they in fact spoke with the same Ford CS rep we were speaking with, and that they had advised him in early September that they would have been able to accept our car on 9/24 and give us a loaner the same day - for whatever ridiculous reason that defies logic, the Ford CS rep never communicated this to us. Rather, the CS rep simply advised that he was still waiting to confirm availability with All American. I hesitate to say that the Ford CS rep lied to us, but if it quacks like a duck.......

As such, the earliest All American can now take the car in and provide a loaner is on 10/27! Deeper down the rabbit hole we go. We are at a loss for words. How can Ford CS be this incompetent? How can they continue to delay our situation? We're at the point where media attention is wholly warranted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts