2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after only a month or so, my 2022 plug-in threw the orange wrench. I had to do an errand, and when I came back and started it up, no orange wrench. Called the dealer, took it in, and no code! They said to bring it in if it happens again. It happened again today, same story, turning it off and back on cleared the fault. WTF?

Anybody have any ideas? Should I just ignore it or should I tell the shop to just figure it out?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Farr

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
276 Posts
Drive to the dealer next time it is on and park in a spot outside and leave it running. Talk to the service manager and explain that you cannot turn the vehicle off or the error will disappear. Call and ask if someone can read the code while the engine is on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2022 did the same thing 3 times in the first 700 miles. Then after another 800 miles, it did it once. Has not done that again since then and now has 2900 miles. I believe that it was asociated with the extreme cold weather we had at the time. I never took mine into the dealer and probably never will. No sense in trying to repair something that is not broken at the time.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
276 Posts
Those indicator lights are best not ignored, especially on a brand new vehicle. The light would not have illuminated If the vehicle did not think something was wrong. Things that are wrong or confused can indeed correct themselves.

But we all make our own choices and that's fine..

Just sayin....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have spent my working life in auto dealers. Starting in the late 60's as a mechanic, moving to service manager. Then into sales. I have observed many vehicles come in for a minor problem and leave with 2 or 3 problems. Unless the vehicle quits, it will never go back. For what its worth, my PHEV is the only one this dealer has sold, and I have not yet seen any others. In the past 14 years I have owned 2 Honda vehicles, 2 Toyota vehicles, an 2 GM vehicles. None of them ever had any issues. This is my first new Ford since 1984.
I also have a 2005 Mustang convertible, bought used. Has been excellent so far.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
78 Posts
after only a month or so, my 2022 plug-in threw the orange wrench. I had to do an errand, and when I came back and started it up, no orange wrench. Called the dealer, took it in, and no code! They said to bring it in if it happens again. It happened again today, same story, turning it off and back on cleared the fault. WTF?

Anybody have any ideas? Should I just ignore it or should I tell the shop to just figure it out?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Farr
I just got mine back from the dealer, I have a 2020 Hybrid. The light would come on and off same issue. The problem was corrupt GSM software. They updated the software and cleared the code retested and they say it's fine. We will see if this is the long term fix. The light wasn't on when I dropped off the vehicle, but in the ford app I showed the service advisor the numerous messages about the powertrain module.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. Orange wrench came & went a couple more times. Took it in but no code again. But mechanic recalled that the car will send more detailed info to the mother ship and found that the fault was related to a false error concerning the parking gear solenoid. I’m to touch base in a few days and then bring it in for a fix…

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also had the wrench pop-up. I have the FordPass app installed and it mentioned a drivetrain error. I should have screenshot the specifics but I didn't because after a restart it went away. It did not come on at all today, but did the day before. Unfortunately, I live about 70 miles from the dealer. If the light comes on again, I will make sure they know about it and bring it in ASAP, but most likely it's not going to be the same day. I think I can at least report the exact issue from the FordPass app so that should be helpful. Will update with more info if it happens again.

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
102 Posts
I have always been under the impression that a warning light on means find the problem and fix when you can. A flashing warning light means fix right away. I have never had a light flash but i have had lights come on steady that i would fix at my leisure. mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Right, but it shouldn't come on at all on a new vehicle and the real issue is that the issue is the same for however many people including the ones bringing it here. So something is buggy and needs to be addressed in a TSB with a warranty fix. My dealer knew nothing about it or how to fix it. So now I have to go back in (a 180 mile round trip) and show them it's a common issue for many new buyers. Also, one person said there was an update for it but when I asked, no updates available and they said because it's an intermittent issue there is nothing they can do until it's on all the time. The real issue is, that if this comes on and you are driving it then what exactly is the problem and can driving with it on make it worse? Nobody really knows anything right now and we are the guinea pigs... $25-40k guinea pigs...

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
102 Posts
I
Right, but it shouldn't come on at all on a new vehicle and the real issue is that the issue is the same for however many people including the ones bringing it here. So something is buggy and needs to be addressed in a TSB with a warranty fix. My dealer knew nothing about it or how to fix it. So now I have to go back in (a 180 mile round trip) and show them it's a common issue for many new buyers. Also, one person said there was an update for it but when I asked, no updates available and they said because it's an intermittent issue there is nothing they can do until it's on all the time. The real issue is, that if this comes on and you are driving it then what exactly is the problem and can driving with it on make it worse? Nobody really knows anything right now and we are the guinea pigs... $25-40k guinea pigs...
I see your point and agree with you. The system is faulty the light shows a problem and leaves you hanging you have absolutely no idea what is wrong. The proper procedure would be to have the information display screen show the the exact problem and drive-able actions that can be taken. Going a little further. You can then relay this information to the dealer and he will send a mechanic out to address the problem. You should not have to go to the dealer i think the warranty covers roadside assistance.What makes the difference the home is on a road also. You can open the hood and look for loose connections in the wiring battery engine ground if you can get under the car wires going to the transmission etc mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
My update, may 13…originally showed in February when it was still brand new.
First dealership visit, they didn’t look at it, just kept my car.
second dealership, did updates, error still showed up
Third visit, they want at least 48 hours to run through all the error codes it is giving and a rental at Ford expense was arranged

contacted the salesman I bought from and said to keep an eye out for a new one if I need to lemon law this.
Like the car otherwise and the errors haven’t effected performance so far….

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
172 Posts
Has happened to Me a few times as well and goes away after turning the car off. I did notice one time it happened when I started the car while it was plugged it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts