2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OEM all weather mats are not great anyway get Smartliner

As far as splash guards there is no drilling needed. Installed these myself

I also had an issue where they were supposed to install something as part of the negotiated deal but when delivered it was missing so they just refunded the cost of the missing accessories.
Thanks for the links. I’ll look into those, but looks like the liners are backordered.

The instructions for the Ford splash guards require drilling one hole for each of the fronts. Strange they would require drilling when other aftermarket options don’t.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the links. I’ll look into those, but looks like the liners are backordered.

The instructions for the Ford splash guards require drilling one hole for each of the fronts. Strange they would require drilling when other aftermarket options don’t.
Love the liners and also matching cargo mat. Splash guards took maybe 10 mins to install. Look great as well.

Reactions: dcdtn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I stopped by dealership today to inspect it. I didn’t go over everything with a fine tooth comb, but I did notice that the hood was not properly aligned. It was almost touching headlamp on one side. They are going to have a body shop realign it in the morning. Also, I noticed a slight noise over 55 mph like something flapping in the wind. They are supposed to look at that also.

I checked dash and A-pillars like others have mentioned. They seem fine. Also checked for subwoofer rattle. Seems ok I think. Anything else I should be on the lookout for before signing the dotted line?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I stopped by dealership today to inspect it. I didn’t go over everything with a fine tooth comb, but I did notice that the hood was not properly aligned. It was almost touching headlamp on one side. They are going to have a body shop realign it in the morning. Also, I noticed a slight noise over 55 mph like something flapping in the wind. They are supposed to look at that also.

I checked dash and A-pillars like others have mentioned. They seem fine. Also checked for subwoofer rattle. Seems ok I think. Anything else I should be on the lookout for before signing the dotted line?
I had hood alignment issue in my previous 2014 Durango, also 2020 Highlander and Escape. Seems like difficult for manufactureres to get that right but I am not bothered by that. Doesn't impact on the performance you know :)

Your car will be under warranty anyway so even if you miss something you are covered for a while.

Btw what's the final price?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Btw what's the final price?
MSRP is $36,105 which is for SEL 2.0 AWD with 4 options: Tech Pkg, Co-pilot 360, trailer tow, spare tire.

Invoice is $34,708, X-plan is $34,844

There were $4000 in discounts. $2500 rebates plus additional $750 x-plan discount (this was a pleasant surprise) and a personal $750 offer I got in mail from Ford a couple of weeks ago (also a nice surprise). So I guess that puts it a little under $31000. Not bad, but still doesn’t compare to all the $6k - $10k off MSRP deals I see listed at out of state dealers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
MSRP is $36,105 which is for SEL 2.0 AWD with 4 options: Tech Pkg, Co-pilot 360, trailer tow, spare tire.

Invoice is $34,708, X-plan is $34,844

There were $4000 in discounts. $2500 rebates plus additional $750 x-plan discount (this was a pleasant surprise) and a personal $750 offer I got in mail from Ford a couple of weeks ago (also a nice surprise). So I guess that puts it a little under $31000. Not bad, but still doesn’t compare to all the $6k - $10k off MSRP deals I see listed at out of state dealers.
Great choice on 2.0! The only good engine choice for Escapes and I would definitely avoid their hybrids which had number of issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OP here. I wanted to provide an update to my ownership experience just in case it may help others with similar issues. Full disclosure… I ended up trading my 21 Escape for another vehicle due to a drivetrain issue I experienced that left me questioning the vehicle’s overall longevity.

I was very happy with the Escape with the exception of this one mysterious drivetrain issue. Sometime around 4000 miles, the rear differential started binding and shuddering when making turns at low speed. The binding was enough that the tires would sometimes make chirping noises on pavement. The dealership said that there was a service bulletin on contaminated differential fluid, but Ford would not allow them to change it without having replacement single-use drain and fill plugs that were on backorder. Fast forward several months and 7000 miles later, the drain plugs finally come in so that the fluid can be changed. However the shudder is still present!

At this point I had concerns about getting the issue fixed and the stress already done to drivetrain components like CV joints transfer case, etc. I also had had enough of dealing with this particular issue on a brand new vehicle. Fortunately, I was able to get more than I paid for it on trade-in due to chip shortage. Otherwise I probably would have kept it and dealt with it.

I think the issue I experienced was an isolated incident, since I haven’t heard of others with the same issue.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,183 Posts
OP here. I wanted to provide an update to my ownership experience just in case it may help others with similar issues. Full disclosure… I ended up trading my 21 Escape for another vehicle
Curious what vehicle did you trade your Escape on? Hopefully it works out better for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Curious what vehicle did you trade your Escape on? Hopefully it works out better for you.
Thanks!

I ended up with a new Toyota RAV4 hybrid. I am happy with it, but also liked the Escape. They are entirely different vehicles, for sure. The RAV4 rides better, but the Escape handles the curves better and is more refined in terms of engine noise.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks!

I ended up with a new Toyota RAV4 hybrid. I am happy with it, but also liked the Escape. They are entirely different vehicles, for sure. The RAV4 rides better, but the Escape handles the curves better and is more refined in terms of engine noise.
Hopefully it works out for you better, but IMO current gen Rav4 hybrid is terrible car (aside from looks) which I owned for a year, Escape isn't without flaws but it's far better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hopefully it works out for you better, but IMO current gen Rav4 hybrid is terrible car (aside from looks) which I owned for a year, Escape isn't without flaws but it's far better.

I remember reading your other thread before ordering the Escape, and it helped me in making that decision. Thanks for posting that!

Now having experienced both, I agree with most of your observations. One difference is I actually preferred the seating comfort and interior ergonomics of the Escape. It may have been unique to my car, but my Escape had more wind noise audible from drivers door compared to RAV4. But you are spot on about the engine noise of the Toyota 4-cylinder. It personally doesn’t bother me too bad, but I am amazed that Toyota has not improved that yet. I know it is caused by DI, but other automakers with DI do not have the same issue.

I don’t think you mentioned the ride. I am amazed at how much better the RAV4 rides. I need to check the tires and make sure they are not under inflated. Speaking of which, I don’t think the Toyota has tire pressure readings in the dash like the Ford did.

I believe I read where the RAV4 fill-up issue had been resolved. Car Care Nut on YouTube has a video specific to all RAV4 known issues that I believe covers that also.

One last note, I purchased the Escape just prior to chip shortage at $5k+ below MSRP which allowed me to receive what I paid for it when I traded it. However, this comes at expense of most vehicles right now going for MSRP. I figured by purchasing a vehicle that was already going for close to MSRP prior to chip shortage I might be able to shield from a larger than normal depreciation hit that may occur once the chip shortage ends.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I remember reading your other thread before ordering the Escape, and it helped me in making that decision. Thanks for posting that!
Glad that it helped! :)

Now having experienced both, I agree with most of your observations. One difference is I actually preferred the seating comfort and interior ergonomics of the Escape. It may have been unique to my car, but my Escape had more wind noise audible from drivers door compared to RAV4. But you are spot on about the engine noise of the Toyota 4-cylinder. It personally doesn’t bother me too bad, but I am amazed that Toyota has not improved that yet. I know it is caused by DI, but other automakers with DI do not have the same issue.
Engine/cabin noise was bad in mine they improved it in top trim Prime though. Escape (Titanium trim) is amazing in that regard.

I don’t think you mentioned the ride. I am amazed at how much better the RAV4 rides. I need to check the tires and make sure they are not under inflated. Speaking of which, I don’t think the Toyota has tire pressure readings in the dash like the Ford did.
Ride is firmer in Escape, but personally I like it combined with handling and extra pep from 2.0L it's like a mini sports car for me. We have Highlander for long trips and I certainly prefer its comfy ride for lengthy rides. Which btw has tire pressure like Escape. For Rav4 you had to use an app.

I believe I read where the RAV4 fill-up issue had been resolved. Car Care Nut on YouTube has a video specific to all RAV4 known issues that I believe covers that also.
Yeah I think they finally resolved it but I stopped following that subject when I got rid of the car

One last note, I purchased the Escape just prior to chip shortage at $5k+ below MSRP which allowed me to receive what I paid for it when I traded it. However, this comes at expense of most vehicles right now going for MSRP. I figured by purchasing a vehicle that was already going for close to MSRP prior to chip shortage I might be able to shield from a larger than normal depreciation hit that may occur once the chip shortage ends.
I also looked at how much I could get for mine if I sell it or trade in and actually it would be more then I paid but then anything that I would want to get either not available or would have to pay MSRP and wait for a while.

Are you getting 2022? They fixed some bugs which existed in previous years. Led interior and light switches, height adjustable passenger seat in Limited trim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are you getting 2022? They fixed some bugs which existed in previous years. Led interior and light switches, height adjustable passenger seat in Limited trim.
It is a 2021. I don’t think they have started making the 2022s yet. I was lucky to find it with only 2 week wait from factory. It’s only an XLE, but I’m still pretty happy with it overall. I may have to get a dedicated sports car to cure the sporty driving bug I get from time to time.

Ironically my brother who lives in a different city was able to pick up a new loaded Limited Hybrid for his daughter at about the same time. He wanted something less loaded but that was all they had and only because someone had to back out of their order.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I may have to get a dedicated sports car to cure the sporty driving bug I get from time to time.
Haha well that's definitely my problem which I didn't want to cure... yet. My wife without that bug was perfectly happy with Rav4. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
781 Posts
I don’t think you mentioned the ride. I am amazed at how much better the RAV4 rides. I need to check the tires and make sure they are not under inflated.
What size are the tires/wheels? The 65-series tires Ford puts on 17" Escape wheels likely ride better than the 55-series they put on my 19's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What size are the tires/wheels? The 65-series tires Ford puts on 17" Escape wheels likely ride better than the 55-series they put on my 19's.
The Toyota has 65-series tires on 17’s. The Escape had 60-series on 18’s. That could be some of the difference, but I don’t think it accounts for everything.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was thinking that I forgot to include one positive thing about Rav4 ownership vs Escape. Community/forum is much more active there but you probably already know. 4g Escape discussions are pretty much non existent and half of the posts come from pre 4g members which is an indication of how much the current gen is popular. Or perhaps I am wrong about that and it's just this forum that isn't active.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I was thinking that I forgot to include one positive thing about Rav4 ownership vs Escape. Community/forum is much more active there but you probably already know. 4g Escape discussions are pretty much non existent and half of the posts come from pre 4g members which is an indication of how much the current gen is popular. Or perhaps I am wrong about that and it's just this forum that isn't active.
I’ve noticed that as well. I guess there are just not as many Escape enthusiasts.

One thing I miss from the Escape is the automatic high-beam override using the stalk. I usually do this when driving at less than 25 mph through the neighborhood at night for safety. On the Toyota you have search for the switch on the dash near your left knee, which is usually obstructed by the steering wheel.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,183 Posts
I wanted to remind everyone that there is already a thread in the other vehicle discussion sub forum that compares the Escape to the RAV4. This isn’t the thread to make this comparison in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am glad I got my car in May. It seems like besides lower inventory there are even less SEL's and Titaniums than typical.
Also, it seemed the MSRP of a 2022 SE was very close to the 2021 SEL MSRP

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.