2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To our absolute horror our 2020 began exhibiting the disappearing coolant act that our 2017 did. We had a 2017 we got rid of because it had the same problem/fix TWICE in 36,000 miles and now we’re back to square one.

Two weeks ago our 2020 went into the dealer after noticing the coolant was well below minimum. 16,000 miles on it total. We had already scheduled a visit because of some other issues we were having (interior noises etc, nothing ‘major’) but showed them the coolant. After two weeks they have found the block is cracked and they have a new one on order, with no ETA.

Super frustrated with Ford at this point. I’m a Ford employee, and I’m also dealing with another battle on another front (my Bronco Sport left me stranded with only 200 miles on it and is still being diagnosed). I couldn’t be sicker about all this.

Has anyone else in the 4th gen community had coolant problems? And if no you guys may want to start monitoring it. We had no leaks, no smells, no odd behaviors mechanically. Nothing that would’ve flagged it. Car is driven by my wife, 80% highway across town, has had no sort of rough life. Been serviced timely and at the dealer etc

Praying this is a one off defect and not a sign that the 3g problems have carried over.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,485 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I recall somebody posting on here that their dealer had said they had one (or more) of the new 1.5l 3cyl EcoBoost engines with head gasket problems. It was a long time ago and probably in the 3G section where the 1.5l 4cyl failures are discussed.

I hope things improve with both your Fords. That would be very stressful to have both with problems.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Oh no....don't tell me this is happening with some of the latest models too. I thought Ford had corrected this by changing the design of the block to solve the cracking problem. :cry::cry:

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
I thought Ford had corrected this by changing the design of the block to solve the cracking problem. :cry:
It's a newish 3 cylinder engine and you'd think they would have it sorted. Note I think those engine/s were out of another Ford model.

(It won't be a problem in Australia as they're not selling the 1.5l EcoBoost in any of the new 2021 Escape models. It's the 2.0l EcoBoost or nothing.)

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Why do you keep buying Fords after these issues?
Like any other vehicle some have faults.

Do you have an Escape these days? With respect, I understand you had problems with a previous Escape but most are fine and the later models especially are not necessarily all faulty?

Like all forums you only hear of problems and rarely hear of happy owners which make up the vast majority.

In saying that I realize that one of the purposes of these forums is to try and help and advise each other with problems but in this case it doesn't mean that all Fords are faulty.

In my case I have had zero problems since purchasing 3 years ago.

Reactions: Romac2020

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you keep buying Fords after these issues?
I ask myself that very question LOL.

Nah really it is a fair question. For one I’ve grown up in a Ford family, car enthusiast wise. For two I work at Ford, and I’m in a Ford town. My co workers and friends are all at Ford. It’s just part of the culture.

I also from the consumer end really like the designs of the products and some of the value (especially with employee pricing etc) compared to the competition. We actually quite rigorously cross shopped the escape vs rav4, hrv, crv and Mazda cx line. I chose the rav4 but my wife liked the escape more, I don’t have to drive it so ultimately it’s hers.

As for the bronco, I was waiting for a while and eyeballing them, back and forth between the sport and the ‘real’ bronco, coming back to Ford from a non Ford product prior.

That being said, as much as I enjoy my Ford trucks/mustangs enthusiast wise, and I like being supportive of the brand, I’m definitely soured on them for the time being and down the road I think I will look elsewhere when I purchase again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As an update by the way; we have no updates. We took it to probably the worst Ford dealer in town service/communication wise. Ford corporate did finally put us in a rental but as of tomorrow morning it’s been out of service for three weeks with no ETA on the table. I certainly intend to ask detailed questions and provide information here when we know more.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
Please keep in mind this discussion is about the 2020 1.5l 3 cylinder EcoBoost. Any posts involving the old 1.5l 4 cylinder engine will be deleted.

Also keep on topic. Questioning someone's choice of vehicle is of little help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates on either vehicle?
Bronco is back and runs fine, although it is making a strange sound under load. I’m taking it in today actually. I’m taking it to a new dealer, as the dealer it was at had a few inconsistent and incompetent behaviors. I’m not going to be surprised at all if they didn’t tighten something all the way etc.

Today marks day 30 the Escape has been sitting at the dealer out of service. Kentucky lemon law is officially 12 month 12k miles, we’re at 16k miles. However there are some other statutes around 18/25k miles and I think we have a strong case against Ford. We filed for a buyback through Ford, as well as through BBB Autoline to apply a little pressure.

Not only has the Escape been there for 30 days in a row now, it’s still waiting for a full diagnosis. Parts haven’t even been ordered and no repair has been started. Absolute insanity. The dealer and Ford have been an absolute nightmare to deal with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 Escape SE and am also having coolant issues. Two weeks after at around 300 miles I decided to check the oil and noticed I only had about 1/2 inch coolant in the reservoir when the engine was warm and it was empty when the engine cooled. Oil looked fine and clear but could smell coolant in the engine bay when you opened the hood.

Dealer topped it off and made an appointment for the following week. the pressure test show it was losing 5 pounds in about 10 minutes. There was no visible leaks and the only thing they found was a clamp on the return line had a tab on it keeping it from clamping down right. They fixed that and retested and now it doesn't lose pressure.

A week later and now it seems the coolant level is dropping again but much slower than before and can still smell coolant under the hood.

Do the 2020's have a coolant level sensor? And with that low of coolant should I be concerned about and damage to the engine? The temp gauge never went above half way.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
@Penguin530..If you can smell coolant under the hood it sounds like it is leaking somewhere and I doubt it is the dreaded coolant cylinder head intrusion problem with some earlier models.
Suggest you return it to the dealer under warranty and get them to check it out properly for leaks.
If the level is dropping much slower it still may not be retaining pressure so perhaps they could recheck the return line initially.

Whilst there is coolant visible you won't cause damage to the engine.

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
93 Posts
I would not let the dealer keep my car get it back put stop leak in it and drive the car untill the new engine comes in. I recommend you doing a leak down test and verify the dealers findings. mike

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I would not let the dealer keep my car get it back put stop leak in it and drive the car untill the new engine comes in. I recommend you doing a leak down test and verify the dealers findings. mike
Which poster here are you replying to please?

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
I would not let the dealer keep my car get it back put stop leak in it and drive the car untill the new engine comes in.
Doing that would void your engine warranty.

A week later and now it seems the coolant level is dropping again but much slower than before and can still smell coolant under the hood.
Take it back again and keep an eye that it doesn't drop below the minimum level. Perhaps it's leaking again?

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Any updates on your coolant leak? I have a 2020 escape with the 1.5. Just hit 19,500. And it has the disappearing coolant problem. Goes to the dealership tomorrow. No visible leaks. Doesn’t over heat. And no smell either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts