2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Any updates on your coolant leak? I have a 2020 escape with the 1.5. Just hit 19,500. And it has the disappearing coolant problem. Goes to the dealership tomorrow. No visible leaks. Doesn’t over heat. And no smell either.
OMG....don't tell me this issue still isn't sorted. I thought they changed the block design at the US plant.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
OMG....don't tell me this issue still isn't sorted. I thought they changed the block design at the US plant.
Me too,,So if it isn't the block, is it the assembler, and or gasket???...Sabotage??

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,482 Posts
Me too,,So if it isn't the block, is it the assembler, and or gasket???...Sabotage??
Just to be clear, the new 2020 model introduced a brand new three cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost - that replaced the previous four cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost used in the 3G Escape.

It's a totally new engine
, so please make sure you're only discussing the 2020 on three cylinder version in this thread. ;)

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Just to be clear, the new 2020 model introduced a brand new three cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost - that replaced the previous four cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost used in the 3G Escape.

It's a totally new engine
, so please make sure you're only discussing the 2020 on three cylinder version in this thread. ;)
It still has the open deck block design. Lots has changed but that has not.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Ok...wasn't aware that the new 1.5 Ecoboost described was the 3 cylinder engine..🤐

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
The opening post of this thread says the cause of that failure was a cracked block.
Two weeks ago our 2020 went into the dealer after noticing the coolant was well below minimum. 16,000 miles on it total. We had already scheduled a visit because of some other issues we were having (interior noises etc, nothing ‘major’) but showed them the coolant. After two weeks they have found the block is cracked and they have a new one on order, with no ETA.
That's a trait it probably has in common with most currently made DI turbo engines. If other manufacturers successfully use the same "open block" design then the open block design itself is not the cause of coolant loss. Going by what people have posted on here, Ford (perhaps) have some issues with their implementation. (Failures seem to be reported in the blocks where they've chosen to machine a thin slit in the block face between the cylinder walls. I'm not sure if any of the 1.5l EcoBoost Dragon blocks ever used the "slit" design- see pics at bottom of this post.)

Below is the engine block from the world's most powerful 3 cylinder production engine. It's open deck as well- 1.6l and produces 200kW (268hp) and 370Nm (273 lb ft) of torque.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

Searching for 1.5l EcoBoost Dragon engine blocks shows the below

Automotive tire Watch Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

Large pic here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/atta...3-cylinder-dragon-petrol-engine-engine-10.jpg

Reactions: invader

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The opening post of this thread says the cause of that failure was a cracked block.

That's a trait it probably has in common with most currently made DI turbo engines. If other manufacturers successfully use the same "open block" design then the open block design itself is not the cause of coolant loss. Going by what people have posted on here, Ford (perhaps) have some issues with their implementation. (Failures seem to be reported in the blocks where they've chosen to machine a thin slit in the block face between the cylinder walls. I'm not sure if any of the 1.5l EcoBoost Dragon blocks ever used the "slit" design- see pics at bottom of this post.)

Below is the engine block from the world's most powerful 3 cylinder production engine. It's open deck as well- 1.6l and produces 200kW (268hp) and 370Nm (273 lb ft) of torque.

View attachment 80229
Searching for 1.5l EcoBoost Dragon engine blocks shows the below

View attachment 80230

Large pic here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/atta...3-cylinder-dragon-petrol-engine-engine-10.jpg
Use a magnifying glass on the block picture and you can make out a bore hole, no slit...

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Use a magnifying glass on the block picture and you can make out a bore hole, no slit...
No question but it does assume that the hole instead of the slit corrects the problem. I am not so sure that simple correction is robust enough. There is information out there that suggests boosted engines and open deck block designs are not a good idea. That is my feeling. Of course a lot depends on manufacturing, driving styles and other factors.

Reactions: KY.BORN

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Any updates on your coolant leak? I have a 2020 escape with the 1.5. Just hit 19,500. And it has the disappearing coolant problem. Goes to the dealership tomorrow. No visible leaks. Doesn’t over heat. And no smell either.
dealer is doing a tear down on the engine Friday to see what is causing it. Not sure if the cylinders are scored or if it needs a new long block as per what the tech is saying. Until then they gave it back to drive for a week 🤦🏻

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Just got notification from my dealer that coolant is leaking into the cylinders. Now that they have diagnosed it, tear down will start. But in all once that’s done the whole long block needs replaced.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just got notification from my dealer that coolant is leaking into the cylinders. Now that they have diagnosed it, tear down will start. But in all once that’s done the whole long block needs replaced.
So are they replacing with exact same one with design flaw?

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
So are they replacing with exact same one with design flaw?
I don't think it's been established that the 1.5l 3 cylinder Dragon engine has the same design "flaw". If you look a couple of posts up, there's a pic of the 1.5l Dragon block in the India factory and it doesn't have the slits between the cylinders like the old 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost.

One person has posted it was a cracked block, another a loose hose was causing a leak.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't think it's been established that the 1.5l 3 cylinder Dragon engine has the same design "flaw". If you look a couple of posts up, there's a pic of the 1.5l Dragon block in the India factory and it doesn't have the slits between the cylinders like the old 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost.

One person has posted it was a cracked block, another a loose hose was causing a leak.
I wasn't specifically saying it's the same as previous gen. They could have just introduced another flaw by "fixing" previous flaw. I would definitely ask service for more details why it failed so soon and is the new replacement could fail the same way.

Reactions: KY.BORN

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Well Ford authorized a entire engine replacement because all the parts needed to do just the bottom end replacement were on back order. Don’t know exactly what happened other than they found coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. Supposed to get vehicle back by next week and will have the print out then of what happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well Ford authorized a entire engine replacement because all the parts needed to do just the bottom end replacement were on back order. Don’t know exactly what happened other than they found coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. Supposed to get vehicle back by next week and will have the print out then of what happened.
Any news on the printout of what happened? Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope its fixed now

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Any news on the printout of what happened? Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope its fixed now
This was my diagnosis and solution on print out

the cylinder walls had a good amount of scoring. could not tell if
they were big enough to cause an oil consumption issue. oil level was
good. Let vehicle run and get hot, pulled plugs and
applied pressure tester again, let sit and checked periodically.
could not get any leak to
come from any cylinder. Suspect it is intermittent and it is
leaking at different times when
head and block are starting to get hot or cool down. want to try
and test multiple temps and see if i can verify that the head gasket is
leaking. need vehicle for more than a day. hot line contact. waiting
for reply. Verified leak found antifreeze coming down cylinder walls.
Tore down engine per hotline request to find issue. Removed head in the
vehicle.py- pressure tested cold. removed plugs and found cylinder 3
getting coolant. leaking at head gasket. removed head, cylinder wall
had scaring deep enough to catch screwdriver sliding across. cylinder
block distortion at just over .03 mm . needs block. slight imperfection
on cylinder walls and head gasket mounting area. Performed cost cap and
proceeded with ordering short block. After parts started coming in
found that some parts were so far on back order they didn't even have a
release date. Moved to NEXT LEVEL ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT APPROVAL
DDPT33970802 . not enough parts available to replace just short block.
installed long block. road test, no codes, runs good. No leaks

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was my diagnosis and solution on print out

the cylinder walls had a good amount of scoring. could not tell if
they were big enough to cause an oil consumption issue. oil level was
good. Let vehicle run and get hot, pulled plugs and
applied pressure tester again, let sit and checked periodically.
could not get any leak to
come from any cylinder. Suspect it is intermittent and it is
leaking at different times when
head and block are starting to get hot or cool down. want to try
and test multiple temps and see if i can verify that the head gasket is
leaking. need vehicle for more than a day. hot line contact. waiting
for reply. Verified leak found antifreeze coming down cylinder walls.
Tore down engine per hotline request to find issue. Removed head in the
vehicle.py- pressure tested cold. removed plugs and found cylinder 3
getting coolant. leaking at head gasket. removed head, cylinder wall
had scaring deep enough to catch screwdriver sliding across. cylinder
block distortion at just over .03 mm . needs block. slight imperfection
on cylinder walls and head gasket mounting area. Performed cost cap and
proceeded with ordering short block. After parts started coming in
found that some parts were so far on back order they didn't even have a
release date. Moved to NEXT LEVEL ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT APPROVAL
DDPT33970802 . not enough parts available to replace just short block.
installed long block. road test, no codes, runs good. No leaks
Geez. Im glad its fixed. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out. Im gonna check mine 2020 out now. Fingers crossed. But I will use your experience if need be.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape 1.5L
8 Posts
Geez. Im glad its fixed. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out. Im gonna check mine 2020 out now. Fingers crossed. But I will use your experience if need be.
Best of luck to ya. This is the second eco boost vehicle I had that failed. First one was a 2018 focus se with the 1.0. Failed at 28k. Bent the valves and fried the turbo. Thinking it time I go a different direction in terms of manufacture

21 - 38 of 38 Posts