2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in early Feb., a new 2020 Titanium Hybrid. Finally got around to giving it a good detail, clay, and ceramic coating today. Looks good. I do like that color when its shined up. It had to live through the wife's back and forth 5 mile trips to work in the nasty winter we had right after we got it so it needed a cleaning underneath and some paint protection.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Looks great! I assume you did the ceramic coating yourself and I realize there is a lot of preparation beforehand ensuring the surface is spotless etc. but did you find it difficult to apply compared to say, waxing the car and how long did it take you?

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great! I assume you did the ceramic coating yourself and I realize there is a lot of preparation beforehand ensuring the surface is spotless etc. but did you find it difficult to apply compared to say, waxing the car and how long did it take you?
Yea, did it myself. I washed it then used a clay bar over the whole car (for being relatively new there was some embedded dirt and a bird poop spot in the paint from sitting at the dealership), then dried and wiped it all down with a solution of diluted alcohol. The ceramic itself is super easy just have to work in half body panel sized areas and keep on it as it hazes over/dries very quickly so you have to be ready to wipe it off. Obviously using only microfiber towels. I like how you can use it on the black textured plastic as well and the window molding rubber. I also did the wheels, light lenses, etc. It says you can use it on glass as well but being my first time using ceramic I just stuck with my old habit of coating the windows with rain-x. I think overall now that Ive used the ceramic I think its less time consuming than standard wax and you don't have to worry about getting it on the textured plastics and such.

The directions say to keep it dry for a couple days after you apply it so it can fully setup on the paint.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
70 Posts
Your escape looks sharp! What brand of ceramic did you use? I am looking to get ceramic coating done by a local shop here, but they want $1500-$2000 for the job. They do all the paint correction and stuff as well. I have a black escape and I plan on keeping it for awhile so it seems like a good investment. How long did the process take you?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your escape looks sharp! What brand of ceramic did you use? I am looking to get ceramic coating done by a local shop here, but they want $1500-$2000 for the job. They do all the paint correction and stuff as well. I have a black escape and I plan on keeping it for awhile so it seems like a good investment. How long did the process take you?

I used Avalon King Armor Shield. There might be better ones, not sure....this is my first go with ceramic. I think I gave like $60 or so with a promo code I found. I have a lot of experience and equipment at home for auto detailing to make extra money on weekends so I'd say this took me no longer than washing, claying, prepping any other vehicle for wax or sealant. In fact once you get used to it the process is probably faster at the final stage of applying the product. I think the main time consuming part is the preparation but its not bad. But you don't need a buffer, pads, etc. Just wipe it on in small sections with the little square applicator thing they give you and then almost immediately wipe it off with a microfiber plush towel. There's quite a few videos of using it on YouTube.

·
Registered
2020 escape SEL 1.5 AWD
98 Posts
I used Avalon King Armor Shield. There might be better ones, not sure....this is my first go with ceramic. I think I gave like $60 or so with a promo code I found. I have a lot of experience and equipment at home for auto detailing to make extra money on weekends so I'd say this took me no longer than washing, claying, prepping any other vehicle for wax or sealant. In fact once you get used to it the process is probably faster at the final stage of applying the product. I think the main time consuming part is the preparation but its not bad. But you don't need a buffer, pads, etc. Just wipe it on in small sections with the little square applicator thing they give you and then almost immediately wipe it off with a microfiber plush towel. There's quite a few videos of using it on YouTube.
I ordered this s two weeks ago and am waiting for it to come in. I have to hit my car with a polish first due to some swirling. I want the paint to be as close to scratch free as possible. From everything I read/watched on ceramic coatings, having smooth clean paint is key.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
70 Posts
I ordered this s two weeks ago and am waiting for it to come in. I have to hit my car with a polish first due to some swirling. I want the paint to be as close to scratch free as possible. From everything I read/watched on ceramic coatings, having smooth clean paint is key.
Cool thanks for the information. I was a detailer for a couple summers back in high school so my polishing skills are a little rusty. I'm thinking I will leave that to the pros. It needs to get done though with my black metallic paint. Luckily I'm in southern California so I don't have to deal with the elements to much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts