2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Question is about the Cigarette Outlet and USB ports. Are they all powered all the time?! I have a Dashcam I just moved from my Forester into the Escape. In our Subarus we leave them plugged in at all times so that the camera starts when the car starts. Now I have to unplug the Dashcam Everytime I get out of the car, I'm very annoyed.

Does anyone know of a non-invasive solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
My Question is about the Cigarette Outlet and USB ports. Are they all powered all the time?! I have a Dashcam I just moved from my Forester into the Escape. In our Subarus we leave them plugged in at all times so that the camera starts when the car starts. Now I have to unplug the Dashcam Everytime I get out of the car, I'm very annoyed.

Jason
Short answer is cigarette outlet always powered. Consider adding your vehicle info to your signature. Helps us help you. Also do searches on this. There have been many posts in much detail.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The cig. lighter port is always powered but not the USB ports.
I just pull the dashcam charger out from the port as you do when leaving the car, a blue light on the top of it reminds me to do that.
The only other option as far as I am aware is to have the dashcam hardwired in.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Yep, it’s called a bicycle, metro or some other form of transportation. I mean seriously, you bought the car. So is the inanimate object at fault?

FYI this isn’t something unique to the Escape. Most cars have 12v power outlets that are always hot. Same with USB.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's a company fleet lease... so it's barely my car, I can't modify it.
So I guess you and I have different definitions of invasive. Running a wire and adding a fuse tap that can all be undone in less than 15 minutes is not what I would call invasive.

If you're looking for something less than that, unplug the dashcam every time you get out of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have actually found that the USB does power off at some point. Ran into work for a couple hours and when I got back the dash cam was off.

Will delete this post.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe the lighter mounted on the back of the armrest (for the 2nd row) is only powered when the vehicle is running. I recall trying to power my roof warning light from the 2nd row only to find out it only worked with the motor running.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
What I do for my dashcam is I use a cigarette lighter plug adapter that has an on/off switch, that way I can cut power to the dashcam without unplugging it. A search on Amazon will show you some options.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe the lighter mounted on the back of the armrest (for the 2nd row) is only powered when the vehicle is running. I recall trying to power my roof warning light from the 2nd row only to find out it only worked with the motor running.
Wow, if that is the case it would save a lot of people hardwiring their dashcam in as they could just leave it plugged into the rear port.
My dashcam cable won't reach that far to test it unless I re-route it somehow.
Can anyone else confirm that the cig. lighter port at the rear of the centre console powers off with engine shutdown?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wow, if that is the case it would save a lot of people hardwiring their dashcam in as they could just leave it plugged into the rear port.
Can anyone else confirm that the cig. lighter port at the rear of the centre console powers off with engine shutdown?
Nope , not on mine, all three 12 volt ports stay on ..Wish the rear cargo one was switched with engine, so I could leave a battery jump starter connected all the time..

·
Registered
30 Posts
BESTEK 12V/24V DC Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Splitter 3 Sockets Auto Charger
This is what I use, very high quality build unit. Switch to power on and off, nice lighting also. Installed it on the passenger side of the console using Scotch vhb tape along with an adhesion promoter. Hasn't budged since install couple of years ago. No issues with pass seat use. I need 12v for various items. Have them also in a couple other vehicles. Price is very reasonable. Pic attached:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nope , not on mine, all three 12 volt ports stay on ..Wish the rear cargo one was switched with engine, so I could leave a battery jump starter connected all the time..
Ok...thanks. I couldn't imagine why it would be any different actually. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
BESTEK 12V/24V DC Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Splitter 3 Sockets Auto Charger
This is what I use, very high quality build unit. Switch to power on and off, nice lighting also. Installed it on the passenger side of the console using Scotch vhb tape along with an adhesion promoter. Hasn't budged since install couple of years ago. No issues with pass seat use. I need 12v for various items. Have them also in a couple other vehicles. Price is very reasonable. Pic attached: View attachment 76015 View attachment 76015
Yeah, this is great if you want to charge several items at once etc. but probably does not suit those who just want their cig. port to turn off with the engine.
You still have to remember to turn it off rather than pull the dashcam charger out of the port. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Just use a fuse tap- it's not permanent, it gets rid of all the loose cables and you won't have to remember to have to turn anything on or off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I tested mine again. Apparently I must not have plugged it in all the way last time, because my light still worked even after the batterysaver kicked in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ok...thanks. I couldn't imagine why it would be any different actually. :)
If you have the 110 volt inverter like mine behind the console, you can plug in a 110volt -USB charger in there and leave it...Most use only about .5 amps and the inverter is good for 1.3 amps..This way you can have 2 switched on/off USB outlets that come only with engine running, I just ordered one that even has 2 switches , one for each USB port....I plan on using it to keep my portable jump starter charged that way, and behind the drivers seat...The switched charger is even better so it doesn't charge every time the engine runs..not need be.. If you just want a 12 volt port , there should be a 110 ac volt- 12volt charger on Amazon too..

·
Registered
1 Posts

Jason
You don't have to unplug the dashcam camera. The power will be off itself in 10' after you lock the door. When you open the door it's on again.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You don't have to unplug the dashcam camera. The power will be off itself in 10' after you lock the door. When you open the door it's on again.
I don't think that is correct. The USB ports shut down after a while but not the cig. lighter ports, they are always live.

Some time back I accidentally left my dashcam plugged in for a few hours when I was shopping. When I returned I looked inside before unlocking the car and the blue power light on the dashcam charger was still on.
Luckily it did not use up much battery power as the car started ok... :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts