2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2013 1.6L Escape to a repair shop for a oil change, on the way home from the shop my car started to blow a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe. I check the oil level and found that was way over the full mark. what damage could have this done to my engine ???

·
Registered
744 Posts
Probably none yet. Suggest you suck the excess out from the dipstick tube with a syringe or suction pump or something similar or contact the repairer for advice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
White smoke? 1.6L? Sounds like a coolant issue. What is the coolant level at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
White smoke? 1.6L? Sounds like a coolant issue. What is the coolant level at?

the coolant level is fine. I had a coolant temp sensor replaced about Beto weeks ago that a known problem for this engine I had check engine light code 1299.
the oil was about 3 to 4 above the full notch on the dip stick.
The smoke was like James Bond’s smoke stern smoke. lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes 3 to 4 inches above
If that is the case they have put in over 10 quarts of oil which is double required and is ridiculous. Your repairer needs to be hung, drawn and quartered and then spanked within an inch of his life.:rolleyes:
It sounds as though someone put the correct amount of oil in originally and someone else came along later and did the same not knowing it had already been done. I really don't know how else it could happen.
Obviously they did not check the level on the dipstick which they should always do.

No wonder it is smoking...:mad::mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that’s what happen it was fill two times.
will this mess up my catalytic converter
Or what else could have been damaged??

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think that’s what happen it was fill two times.
will this mess up my catalytic converter
Or what else could have been damaged??
Make sure the coolant level is OK.....Too much oil could cause the engine oil seals to blow and or leak from the higher pressures..

·
Registered
22 Posts
White "smoke" and no burning oil smell tells me "coolant leak." 1.6 EB furthers that suspicion.
If it were me, that "shop" would be paying for a full engine inspection by a third party (dealer), and whatever they find broken, the "shop" pays for. I sure as hell wouldn't let the shop that screwed up now diagnose the problem. Oh, and you'll need a rental at their expense until it is all figured out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Make sure the coolant level is OK.....Too much oil could cause the engine oil seals to blow and or leak from the higher pressures..
Probably what happened was the old oil was not drained, and more was added to it. I would recommend not starting the car until this problem is rectified. I would contact the repair shop that you used and inform them of the problem, that you want the car towed in at their expense, drain all the oil out including the filter, and replenished with fresh oil in the correct amount.
Further, I think that you should request a sample of the drained oil and have it analyzed, to be sure that there is no more than a microscopic amount of coolant or other foreign content. They are really good, and will answer any questions you may have with what is a very comprehensive analysis.
We don't know how many miles are on the car, but at 7 years old, the burning oil and/or coolant may have shortened your cat's life; difficult to prove, IMO, unless it was a significant amount over a short period of time. A blown head gasket leading to coolant intruding into the cylinders might do it. A check engine light that stays on, with or without a code after you've rectified the oil level may be your first clue that the cat needs replacing, if not the whole engine.
Good luck @River, and we'd be interested to know how this all turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see the other oil threads, wanted to document my own. 2018, 1.5. I usually change my own, but while it's under warranty I'm having the dealer do everything. This was the second change at under 12k miles. I made the mistake of not checking it right after the change, almost 500 miles, yes, I know, I know. This was cold, warm isn't much different (I hate this "stick") after sitting for ~half hour. Does this look like enough to be an issue? Do I contact the dealer and tell them, or have them do it, to document it? I haven't had something under warranty before, well, other than a few hundred miles left one time, so I want to be careful about how I do everything. Thanks. If the picture doesn't show, it's right at the end of my fingernail.

Off topic, didn't see the coolant issue until after I bought it of course. Old vehicle quit and I needed a replacement road vehicle right away (had to bum a ride to the dealer), this is what they had at the closest dealer, 30 miles away. Only way for another engine was about $10k more with their stock (had 3 escapes in, none used at the time, cheapest Edge was leather and more than that). Coolant was a bit low, below minimum when I bought it at 9 miles, I added some, but it doesn't seem to be moving, yet, no white smoke....

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
That's one reason why I do my own oil changes... If I were you, if you haven't already, correct your oil level so you're not over the max...

Yesterday I walked my oldest daughter through her first do-it-yourself oil change. Her vehicle is about a year and a half old. I walked her through inspecting for problems while under the vehicle and we discovered an axle seal leaking... an issue I've seen on a few other of my Ford vehicles. She'll get that repaired under warranty now instead of at some later date when it is much worse and the warranty has expired... Dealers service departments supposedly inspect the vehicle while they've got it, but when you don't have any skin in the game you're just not likely to inspect as thoroughly as the owner well, and you don't have to be a mechanic to see that there is some type of liquid leaking from somewhere...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
T
Probably what happened was the old oil was not drained, and more was added to it. I would recommend not starting the car until this problem is rectified. I would contact the repair shop that you used and inform them of the problem, that you want the car towed in at their expense, drain all the oil out including the filter, and replenished with fresh oil in the correct amount.
Further, I think that you should request a sample of the drained oil and have it analyzed, to be sure that there is no more than a microscopic amount of coolant or other foreign content. They are really good, and will answer any questions you may have with what is a very comprehensive analysis.
We don't know how many miles are on the car, but at 7 years old, the burning oil and/or coolant may have shortened your cat's life; difficult to prove, IMO, unless it was a significant amount over a short period of time. A blown head gasket leading to coolant intruding into the cylinders might do it. A check engine light that stays on, with or without a code after you've rectified the oil level may be your first clue that the cat needs replacing, if not the whole engine.
Good luck @River, and we'd be interested to know how this all turns out.

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
I see the other oil threads, wanted to document my own. 2018, 1.5. I usually change my own, but while it's under warranty I'm having the dealer do everything. This was the second change at under 12k miles. I made the mistake of not checking it right after the change, almost 500 miles, yes, I know, I know. This was cold, warm isn't much different (I hate this "stick") after sitting for ~half hour. Does this look like enough to be an issue? Do I contact the dealer and tell them, or have them do it, to document it? I haven't had something under warranty before, well, other than a few hundred miles left one time, so I want to be careful about how I do everything. Thanks. If the picture doesn't show, it's right at the end of my fingernail.

Off topic, didn't see the coolant issue until after I bought it of course. Old vehicle quit and I needed a replacement road vehicle right away (had to bum a ride to the dealer), this is what they had at the closest dealer, 30 miles away. Only way for another engine was about $10k more with their stock (had 3 escapes in, none used at the time, cheapest Edge was leather and more than that). Coolant was a bit low, below minimum when I bought it at 9 miles, I added some, but it doesn't seem to be moving, yet, no white smoke....

View attachment 76374
I merged your thread with the other recent oil over fill thread

·
Registered
12 Posts
White Smoke? Doesn’t that mean a new Pope was elected?

That sucks that they overfilled the engine. You are correct, how do you know what long term damage are you facing down the road? Have you looked into the spark wells? Are they full of oil?

I let a car wash/oil change place do an oil and filter change because I didn’t have time before a trip. When I change the oil the next time the filter they put on was 1/2 the size of the specified filter. When I called he stated they don‘t carry filters for every car. We just find one that is close enough. From then I change it myself.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2013 1.6L Escape to a repair shop for a oil change, on the way home from the shop my car started to blow a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe. I check the oil level and found that was way over the full mark. what damage could have this done to my engine ???
They probably drained the transmission fluid instead of the oil. Resulting in zero transmission fluid and double oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
White Smoke? Doesn’t that mean a new Pope was elected?

That sucks that they overfilled the engine. You are correct, how do you know what long term damage are you facing down the road? Have you looked into the spark wells? Are they full of oil?

I let a car wash/oil change place do an oil and filter change because I didn’t have time before a trip. When I change the oil the next time the filter they put on was 1/2 the size of the specified filter. When I called he stated they don‘t carry filters for every car. We just find one that is close enough. From then I change it myself.......
I use this shop before, they replace 4 tires on my wife’s Ford Taurus and they done my Virginia yearly inspection
They called me yesterday and told me the check engine light is and they think my turbo is bad and I need to take it to the Ford dealer to get it fixed
I told the manager he needs to get his GM or owner’s to get involved I am not paying any thing. I am waiting to hear back from them.
the nightmare continues

·
Registered
42 Posts
rsee_, I just did the 1st oil change on my '19 Escape a few thousand miles ago. I know it's supposed to have a 4.3 qt refill, but I probably put in about 4.5 quarts (about 8 oz over) - For reference it's about 1/4 inch above the high mark. Guessing from looking at yours, maybe someone put in 4.75 or 5 qts.

View attachment 76374
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
rsee_, I just did the 1st oil change on my '19 Escape a few thousand miles ago. I know it's supposed to have a 4.3 qt refill, but I probably put in about 4.5 quarts (about 8 oz over) - For reference it's about 1/4 inch above the high mark. Guessing from looking at yours, maybe someone put in 4.75 or 5 qts.

View attachment 76374
[/QUOTE]
Not knowing how the stick varied with amounts, I was guessing probably 5 quarts, figured somebody would be able to guess by seeing the pic. Thanks.

If I change it myself, wouldn't have the issue, but I figure with warranty stuff, no questioning how well I did maintenance if they do it. I have multiple large tractors and other equipment, I don't mind not having one other thing to maintain myself anyway....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts