2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 throwing P0234 codes

2013 1.6 with 58K miles. Been throwing this code (P0234 over boost detected) for a cpl weeks, I turn it off with my scan tool. Wife runs it a cpl days then it comes on again. No weird noises or change in performance that I can tell. This popped up AFTER my wife said she hit a big pothole with the right side. Thinking of replacing boost solenoid to start out with. Put it on ramps and felt the vacuum lines and they were all in the right place with clamps on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am getting P0234.

Can someone please tell me exactly where the boost solenoid on the top of the 1.6L engine? Diagrams I find do not show where it is mounted.

I see the bottom one near the turbo that has the hoses attached. I read somewhere that they were interchangeable, bad info for me. I ordered 2 of the same solenoids w/o hoses (rectangular connector shell) thinking I would just replace both. The one w/o hoses has an oblong connector so no good.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can someone please tell me exactly where the boost solenoid on the top of the 1.6L engine? Diagrams I find do not show where it is mounted.

I see the bottom one near the turbo that has the hoses attached. I read somewhere that they were interchangeable, bad info for me. I ordered 2 of the same solenoids w/o hoses (rectangular connector shell) thinking I would just replace both. The one w/o hoses has an oblong connector so no good.
Note: the information in this post applies to the 1.6L engine only.

I'm not sure what you're referring to on top of the engine? There is only one turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid, and it's the one with the three hoses located right next to the turbo. The hose that goes to the back of the solenoid is the pressure source from the charge pipe, the hose that points off to the side goes to the wastegate, and the hose that goes straight off the end is the pressure dump hose that goes to the intake elbow right before the turbo. That is the entire boost control system. FYI the wastegate on the 1.6L is pressure actuated (no vacuum lines involved), which is different than the vacuum actuated wastegate on the 2.0L. Earlier in this thread they are talking about the 2.0L engine, so don't get confused.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks EscapeTape.

I thought I had read somewhere there were two solenoids which didn't make sense and I should have asked here first. I will try replacing that one with new hoses and hope it fixes my problem.

This is a great forum, thanks for your help.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the turbo wastegate solenoid, did the trick! Drive it up on some ramps, take the bottom engine cover off, find the turbo and look for the solenoid that has 3 vac hoses going to it. Need small hands or be prepared for some scrapes. I bought mine on Ebay $50.23. also long needle nose pliers helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks EscapeTape.

I thought I had read somewhere there were two solenoids which didn't make sense and I should have asked here first. I will try replacing that one with new hoses and hope it fixes my problem.

This is a great forum, thanks for your help.

Bob
Thanks EscapeTape for the explanation of which hose is which. I took pictures before changing it too. Swapping the turbo on my Grand National was easier than changing this **** solenoid. I should have hired one of the Keebler elves.

Replaced solenoid yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was the problem.

Reactions: EscapeTape

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks EscapeTape for the explanation of which hose is which. I took pictures before changing it too. Swapping the turbo on my Grand National was easier than changing this **** solenoid. I should have hired one of the Keebler elves.

Replaced solenoid yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was the problem.

The solenoid and/or hoses was the problem, no more P0234 codes.

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
p0234 here on my 2014 2.0L with 130k mi. Changed the solenoid on top of the engine first but that was only a temporary fix. part# BL3Z-9K378-A

I then changed the wastegate solenoid, which is accessed by removing the passenger side tire. The solenoid hoses go to the wastegate actuator. Part# CJ5Z-9961-C

Changing the second solenoid, the one on the wastegate, did it. Please note that the solenoids were different parts. The CJ5Z-9961-C had hoses and the end plastic was colored brown, and the top tube was thicker. Initially I tried using BL3Z-9K378-A and the hose wouldn't go on securely, which is when I noticed the difference. I suspect the parts are functionally the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6L Ecoboost, 120K miles, persistent P0234 code only (no other codes) for the past 2 months. I would clear code with scan tool often in hopes to pinpoint cause. Mainly got P0234 going downhill, when engine downshifts when braking or uphill when hitting the gas pedal. Also, got the "fishbite" feeling on the pedal and hesitation when going uphill. I bought a new waste solenoid to swap out to see if that would cure the code, but I have not installed it (yet). I was worried I would have to buy new turbo unit. Anyways, I cleared the code again, then I put in 2 tanks of Costco 91 octane (premium) gas and code disappeared, uphill and downhill driving with no code thrown. I have usually filled up at Costco or Arco AM/PM with 87 octane forever. Any ideas why code is gone? I am not complaining, just curious if it was bad gas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6L Ecoboost, 120K miles, persistent P0234 code only (no other codes) for the past 2 months. I would clear code with scan tool often in hopes to pinpoint cause. Mainly got P0234 going downhill, when engine downshifts when braking or uphill when hitting the gas pedal. Also, got the "fishbite" feeling on the pedal and hesitation when going uphill. I bought a new waste solenoid to swap out to see if that would cure the code, but I have not installed it (yet). I was worried I would have to buy new turbo unit. Anyways, I cleared the code again, then I put in 2 tanks of Costco 91 octane (premium) gas and code disappeared, uphill and downhill driving with no code thrown. I have usually filled up at Costco or Arco AM/PM with 87 octane forever. Any ideas why code is gone? I am not complaining, just curious if it was bad gas? Thanks!
June, 2020 Follow up......Wastegate solenoid replaced.....problem solved. $170 at the Ford Dealer in Costa Mesa CA

21 - 31 of 31 Posts