2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,605 Posts
Is the paint all bubbled around that area- or is it the salt?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have not heard of Escapes having any sort of "orange peel" paint issues. I have a 14' like you used to, and have no issues.
Hopefully the dealership makes things right for you.
From what I have read for people with various cars over the years that did have "orange peel" paint, is that there usually some sort of primer & paint adhesion thing...kid of like painting flat paint over high gloss without sanding or treating first.
If it happens in one spot, there's a good change it will happen all over the vehicle in time.
You have the nice metallic blue as well, and that is harder to match up.
I would ask the dealership to do a full vehicle repaint, as that is the only way to know for sure that the paint is properly bonded to the vehicle and that all body panels will appear the same when they are done (partial vehicle paint jobs are never exact despite a paint shop's best efforts).
And be sure they pull the windshield, as that is the only way to get paint down into that exposes/recessed pinch weld area along the windshield.
Good luck and hopefully the dealership takes care of you well and promptly.

Reactions: supercrawl

·
Registered
716 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I kind of hate to bring this up, but it happens that cars sometimes get damaged in transit from the factory to the dealer, or transport between dealers.
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/new-car-damage-repair/
"New cars can get damaged in transit or on the dealer lot, and in many cases the dealer is not required to tell you if any repairs have been completed."

It's possible that this cracking and bubbling paint was due to a post-factory repair, even on a "new" car.
Food for thought.

·
Registered
440 Posts

@RushMan has a point. It doesn't happen very often but when it does, obvious repairs need to be made. That being said, if the repainting process is not done correctly or cheaped out, then there would be the paint adhesion problem you have as well...but new cars from various manufacturers have had the problem too. You'll never really know. Again, hopefully the dealer takes good care of you. Ask for a full vehicle repaint to avoid possible future problems.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I kind of hate to bring this up, but it happens that cars sometimes get damaged in transit from the factory to the dealer, or transport between dealers.
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/new-car-damage-repair/
"New cars can get damaged in transit or on the dealer lot, and in many cases the dealer is not required to tell you if any repairs have been completed."

It's possible that this cracking and bubbling paint was due to a post-factory repair, even on a "new" car.
Food for thought.
That is entirely possible.

I had a friend when I was in my early 20's that bought a brand new S-10 pickup (yes it was the 90's :D ) that had a similar issue. It was "fresh off the delivery trailer" and had just been put on the lot when he bought it. About a month later he started noticing similar paint issues and some strange ripples along the top of the bed rail. After about a month of complaining to the dealer and having a third party body shop confirm it had been previously repaired, he had to threaten to hire an attorney if they didn't fix it or give him a new truck.

They broke down and told him it had been damaged in transit and had fixed it prior to sale. Since the truck had never been registered and Chevy still owned it when they received it, Chevy reimbursed the dealer to fix it and that was that. They went ahead and fixed it the right way this time and he didn't have any further issues for the six or so years he owned it for. This was in CA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bringing it on on the 6th for them to take pictures. It's a lease, up in October, so I'm not going to fight that hard about a total repaint. I lease cars so I don't have to deal with this stuff. Was thinking about trying out an Edge next, but depending on how this situation is handled, I might be looking at another brand.

Here are some daylight pics, but it was pouring.

Attachments

Reactions: KJones

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 2017 Ford escape and 2 weeks ago I was shocked to see a big peice of paint removed from my left side of the windshield!!!!
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Gone to dealer yet?

Here is what it looks like a week later. On the passenger side, there are a series of what looks like scratches running down the pillar, but it's the paint starting to peel. Going to dealer for pictures this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone. This is the most similar thread I could find to my issue so here it goes. I have a 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD in Black. 35,300 miles, which is going to become important in a second. It was a warm sunny day today and when I walked to my Escape I noticed that the paint looked different on the front bumper right below the headlight. When I got closer I noticed the patches (see picture) where the clear coat appears to be peeling away... Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? If it is, I have only 700 miles to get this taken care of and I'll be on the road a lot this week. I would appreciate any feedback!!

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Everyone. This is the most similar thread I could find to my issue so here it goes. I have a 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD in Black. 35,300 miles, which is going to become important in a second. It was a warm sunny day today and when I walked to my Escape I noticed that the paint looked different on the front bumper right below the headlight. When I got closer I noticed the patches (see picture) where the clear coat appears to be peeling away... Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? If it is, I have only 700 miles to get this taken care of and I'll be on the road a lot this week. I would appreciate any feedback!!
I'm not sure that I can see what you're referring to in that picture, I see a bunch of swirl marks in the paint and a couple of rock chips. You have a lot of clear coat damage for such low miles, make sure you aren't washing by hand or using a carwash with brushes. Either way, I'm not sure that it would be covered under warranty since it's obvious the paint has not been well taken care of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm the second owner, so I can't speak for the first 17k miles, but since I've had it I used mostly touchless carwashes, however I was taking it to Mister Carwash for awhile until a friend that used to work for Mercedes informed me about micro swirls. I attached another photo for reference. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

We are having the same problem with our 2017 Ford Escape. We have been to the dealership and they said they had never seen or heard of this problem before, they took pictures and said they would send them to Ford. That was June 4, 2019 we went back two times to see if they had responded, but were told Ford had not got back to them yet. I am wondering if you had any satisfaction from Ford.
We are having the same problem with our 2017 Escape. We have been to the dealership and they said they have never seen this before and would get in touch with Ford. That was June 4th, we followed up the next two weeks and was told Ford had not got back to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Ford Escape, about 40,000 miles and I just noticed the same thing on my Escape this past weekend. The paint is chipping to the driver side of my windshield. I took it in this morning to Ford and they said they have never seen anything like it before and as of right now Ford said it is not under warranty but I'm hoping it will be under the factory defect which is covered for the 5 years. It looks like more and more people are having this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Ford Escape, about 40,000 miles and I just noticed the same thing on my Escape this past weekend. The paint is chipping to the driver side of my windshield. I took it in this morning to Ford and they said they have never seen anything like it before and as of right now Ford said it is not under warranty but I'm hoping it will be under the factory defect which is covered for the 5 years. It looks like more and more people are having this problem. View attachment 75018

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I too have a 2017 se escape black out in the white color. My paint is missing next to the windshield. Just curious to see if you had received any resolution from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I too have a 2017 se escape black out in the white color. My paint is missing next to the windshield. Just curious to see if you had received any resolution from the dealer.
Hi Robsaudiorepair, Ford had my car for 2 days and they came back to me saying they would not do anything... I even called Ford Corporate and they wouldn't cover it either.. I let them know other people are having this same exact issue and it didn't seem like it mattered. They said Paint is only covered for the 3 year warranty.. And warranty had only expired 2 months ago. It it just very disappointing. Paint should not be chipping like this on a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I found this thread after my 2017 Escape started doing the exact same thing. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to do anything about it?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wildcat, looks like your peeling exactly in the same spots mine was. Funnily enough, I’m about to go pick the car up now. They sent it to an auto body shop, Was there for a week. Ford covered the repair and the dealer gave me a loner. I am still under warranty. If you’re still under warranty, take car in ASAP. Only reason I took a bit to get it done, is procrastination. Lol. Good luck!

Reactions: supercrawl
1 - 20 of 120 Posts