2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Flaking/bubbling off on drivers side and upper passenger side around the windshield. Called Ford customer div...they directed me to go to the dealership to have it evaluated. Did that, they contacted Ford with photos and samples. Ford responded that they will do nothing for my 2017 Escape. This is a 4 year old car with 29k miles on it....garaged. No rust...just paint peeling off around the windshield in chunks. This is either a paint or process issue. Not normal wear and tear. Ford will not back this problem. I will fix it....trade this Ford and my other Ford...and never own another Ford.....not ever. My word of mouth will be regular about this. Not a coincidence that this specific year, make and model has the exact same problem. Ford knows this. They are trying to take the cheap and easy route rather than back their buyers and own up to this defect.
should have mentioned....mine is Pearl White.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a terrible situation to be in but all I can suggest is to follow the advice of the previous post to yours. Ford dealerships or Ford Customer Service will not help so all you can do is shame them on social media such as Facebook and possibly contact the local consumer complaints media in your area or maybe even a congressman.
Also someone on Facebook may have links to a class action.

From what I understand this appears to be a manufacturing defect in blue US built cars only as we do not appear to have this problem in Australia where our cars are manufactured in a different country.
I do not know about blue ones in other countries but if it only affects US vehicles surely there is an avenue for legal action against the manufacturing plant there.
No....Pearl Whites have exactly the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stopped by my dealer and the service manager was very helpful. Took pictures, talked to his management and contacted Ford on my behalf. Called me back a week later and said Ford will do nothing as it's out of warranty, and the dealership wouldn't help either. He was genuinely upset and agreed something should be done, but it was out of his hands.
It's pathetic that Ford is so big they feel they can ignore things like this, and the existing and new customers they lose because of problems such as this they can afford to be without.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope everyone keeps contacting Ford (nationally) to create a ticket and let them know of these problems. I paid $800 to have repainted. In the last two weeks, I saw two more 2017 Ford Escapes that were blue with exact same issues. I told them to report the issue also. Maybe, there will be a recall on this. If we don't keep pushing, we will lose out all together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you get any response to this? I just noticed a day ago my paint has begun to peel on the pillars next to the windshield; I have the same blue color as you and most others. Mine is a 2018 Titanium. I have an appt at a Ford dealership in about an hour, but I’m out of warranty and have low expectation of anything being done. View attachment 79364 View attachment 79365
I am in if someone wants to do a class action suit. It is crazy that the amount of blue cars with the same issue. I paid to have mine fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have 2017 escape paint began peeling on drivers side pillar and Ford covered repair under warranty. Now 7 months after warranty expired the other side peeling and a bubble appears on drivers side. It's factory defect, but doubt Ford will cover passenger side was referred back to company who did paint job for driver side.
I paid $800 at the dealership to have mine fixed. Yes, everyone needs to file a complaint and we can hope for the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 Blue Ford Escape with peeling pillars and I’m bringing them to small claims court over it. This is the second time in less than a year that it’s had peeling paint first was driver side now it’s passenger. I shall trade it in after and never buy a Ford again because of the terrible customer service. Chevy fixed their peeling paint, Ford doesn’t care about customers I've found out.
What happened with the small claims? If you win it, maybe we can all file.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody in Canada? My 2017 Escape Titanium started showing paint peeling on the pillar driver's side. Never been in an accident. Surely a factory defect. The used cars shop I bought this car from said that there is nothing they can do. They said to talk direct to a Ford dealership and see if there is some kind of a recall or factory defect for it. I went to a local Ford dealership and they said that since my car is not under warranty anymore, they can't do anything. I'm thinking of going to CBC Go Public on this. I'm in Calgary. I got a quote from Boyd Autobody. Its $2600 to repaint pillars, roof and rear quarter panels (they are all connected). Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
You got the right place, Many of us with the blue color are having trouble like you are. I reached out to two dealerships that did not cover it. I reached out to Ford on facebook and they created a ticket, but nothing came of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody in Canada? My 2017 Escape Titanium started showing paint peeling on the pillar driver's side. Never been in an accident. Surely a factory defect. The used cars shop I bought this car from said that there is nothing they can do. They said to talk direct to a Ford dealership and see if there is some kind of a recall or factory defect for it. I went to a local Ford dealership and they said that since my car is not under warranty anymore, they can't do anything. I'm thinking of going to CBC Go Public on this. I'm in Calgary. I got a quote from Boyd Autobody. Its $2600 to repaint pillars, roof and rear quarter panels (they are all connected). Any advice?
Do it yourself you will get nowhere with Ford or dealerships.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
Pray for some hail. At least you would get insurance to pay for it then. 😀

You should try to get some other quotes from auto body shops in Calgary. Another option, it it could take a while. Years ago, when I was a poor student, I took my car to SAIT, for their auto body shop to repair. I just had to pay for the parts and the students worked on it. Not sure if they would do it for just a paint job though. You would have to wait until the fall to check into that. Would be a lot cheaper if you can wait that long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I went through this nightmare for several years!!! First the paint peels along the driver's side pillar, then a few weeks later it advances to the passenger side pillar, then a month later the area along the top of the windshield peels off.
Twice I was promised by the dealership here in Maui -- Valley Isle Ford -- that they would redo all 3 areas. They lied both times. Now I have the top peeling. I took them to small claims court, they sent their lawyer. Since I was suing a business for promises not kept, apparently I was supposed to reveal all my evidence BEFORE the court date. I didn't know this, so none of my evidence was allowed to be presented!!
Make damn sure that you get everything recorded on tape that the dealership says. Use a free cell phone recording app called CUBE ACR if necessary, but get them recorded making any promises and what they say!!
You need to get as much done WHILE UNDER the mileage and date factory warranty. After that, you're on your own.
You will find hundreds of the same crap going on across the country, all originated from the same plant in Louisville on blue and white Ford Escapes. They must remove the windshield every time they do a repair, and Ford will ONLY pay for the affected areas at the time!!! They know the other two areas will peel, but are saying screw you customers, we will only redo what area is peeling at the time WHILE under the 3 yr warranty or mileage, which ever expires first. Do NOT waste your time arguing with Ford, they say they will "escalate" the matter to higher ups and NEVER call you back. I waited for months 3 times!! Good luck. Try to get all three areas redone before the warranty expires.
Also, we have the 1.5 ltr engine that is causing MAJOR block and head failures on coolant leaking into the cylinders. It's a $16,000 repair. SI would say sell the car as soon as you get the paint redone on the driver's pillar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Ford Escape, about 40,000 miles and I just noticed the same thing on my Escape this past weekend. The paint is chipping to the driver side of my windshield. I took it in this morning to Ford and they said they have never seen anything like it before and as of right now Ford said it is not under warranty but I'm hoping it will be under the factory defect which is covered for the 5 years. It looks like more and more people are having this problem. View attachment 75018
It's not covered under 5 year warraty either, unless you have Rusty where the paint came off. Ford is aware of it,but aree playing dumb because they don't want to pay for these suvs to be fixed. Almost all Escapes are 2017 andd blue and paint is peeling on all of them in the same place. Mine is 2017 Escape, blue, 14000 miles with same damage. The best I have gotten from Fords Corporate office is that they will cover 50% of repair, but only if I take it to an Official Ford Body repair shop. The only problem is that most Ford dealerships don't have their own body shop they contract out to others, Corporate will not cover that, it MUST be an Official Ford Body repair, which in my area there is only one and it is an hour away. I have not gone yet for estimate, but am also considering trading it in. Good Luck All!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am an attorney and would like hear from people having this paint issue with their Ford Escape. I can be reached at [email protected]. I understand your frustration when Ford does not stand behind its product and would like to discuss your concerns about the paint peeling from your Ford Escape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tons of people have had this paint peeling prob on 2017 ford escape color blue and same place on pillars both sides of windshield. Most got no help from ford because this starts to happen just after 3 yr warranty ends. I am lucky ford is fixing mine 100% paid by them including a rental. They fixed right side and discovered driver side peeling too. I took it in for repair 7/19/21. It's factory defect and I really had to fight with ford to fix it. They know it's factory problem but only the most persistent get it done.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Not that it helps but it appears that it is only the blue and white 2017 Escapes made in the US that suffer this paint peeling problem. I have not heard of one here in Australia or in Europe with this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I walked up from the front of my 2017 Escape Titanium with 54K and thought there was a leaf stuck by the windshield as I got close I could see the paint had peeled off and big chunk. I took it to Maaco to see what the dollar damage would be and the lady examined my car then told me to take it straight to the dealer that it is definitely a manufacturer's defect. She pointed out to me the top of the post iit is already bubbling so more of it is going to peel off as well.
On the off change that I was not the only one I googled and ended up here. I take it since it is out of warranty that Ford will not take care of this, correct? Have those of you that have also been out of warranty just paid out of pocket? What was the cost? Maaco told me to do it right would be about $1000 to just where it's peeling maybe $500 but always a chance the windshile will break. Oh boy!
Thank you guys. I really like my Escape, it runs great and I love all the little nifty things it does but this is not good!
Larry Reed
Downey CA

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,318 Posts
The paint/body warranty is only good for perforation so this will come down to how good your relationship is with the dealer.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts