2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wildcat, looks like your peeling exactly in the same spots mine was. Funnily enough, I’m about to go pick the car up now. They sent it to an auto body shop, Was there for a week. Ford covered the repair and the dealer gave me a loner. I am still under warranty. If you’re still under warranty, take car in ASAP. Only reason I took a bit to get it done, is procrastination. Lol. Good luck!
Unfortunately I've got 40,000 miles on it so I'm out of warranty. I had the rear main seal replaced under warranty right before I got to 36,000 miles, but it looks like I'm gonna be on the hook for this one. Probably just get some code matching spray paint and sand and paint it myself. Shouldn't really be that hard to do, but just kinda sucks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Definitely sucks! Mine started peeling just after 16k. Took longer for them to repair because the windshield need to be removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I've been going around and around with Ford for the last few months on this issue. The primer is delaminating. This has been happening to many of the 2017 Escapes. First it was the pillars on both side of my windshield, and I got that repainted by Ford. Then, three months later, it was the roof. They had it for 3 weeks this last time, repainting the roof. It is a known problem by Ford, but I guess enough people aren't complaining about it for them to issue a "ticket" on the problem and to repaint the affected Escapes. I'm a 100% disabled veteran, and my 2017 Escape only has 17k miles, and was primarily parked in the garage for the first 2.5 years I owned it. The paint peeling started in January 2019 when I had to start parking it outside. My Escape is going out of warranty next week, and despite the problem being known, the Ford dealership is trying to say that I will be responsible for the paint delimitation and subsequent repainting once my Escape goes out of warranty. This is a manufacturer's defect, caused by a bad formula in their primer. I started a "Case" with Ford, but so far they are trying to lead me around in circles on the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that many people have dealt with this issue, speculating about what caused the paint to start peeling. It is a manufacturer's defect, the primer, and paint, are delaminating. My 2017 Escape has now been repainted twice, both pillars at first, and now the roof. I kept it garaged the first 2.5 years I've owned it, and only in January 2019 did I start parking it outside. I'm a 100% disable veteran, and I only have 17k miles on the vehicle. The repaint was covered by Ford, but because it goes out of the 3 year warranty next week, they said they will not cover any more of the delimitation issue, despite me being initially told it would be covered because it was a manufacturer's defect. I've started a "Case" with Ford to get the issue addressed, but so far, I'm just getting the run-around. They know they have an issue/defect with the paint, but I guess not enough people have come forward to complain for Ford to issue a "Ticket" for the problem, because I assume they don't want to shell out the money to fix their defect just yet. I'm not sure what the final answer will be, but I will not accept financial responsibility for such a bad manufacturer's defect.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
I noticed that many people have dealt with this issue, speculating about what caused the paint to start peeling. It is a manufacturer's defect, the primer, and paint, are delaminating. My 2017 Escape has now been repainted twice, both pillars at first, and now the roof. I kept it garaged the first 2.5 years I've owned it, and only in January 2019 did I start parking it outside. I'm a 100% disable veteran, and I only have 17k miles on the vehicle. The repaint was covered by Ford, but because it goes out of the 3 year warranty next week, they said they will not cover any more of the delimitation issue, despite me being initially told it would be covered because it was a manufacturer's defect. I've started a "Case" with Ford to get the issue addressed, but so far, I'm just getting the run-around. They know they have an issue/defect with the paint, but I guess not enough people have come forward to complain for Ford to issue a "Ticket" for the problem, because I assume they don't want to shell out the money to fix their defect just yet. I'm not sure what the final answer will be, but I will not accept financial responsibility for such a bad manufacturer's defect.
I merged your new thread with this existing thread that you had already replied in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I
I have this same issue. My car has under 60,000 miles and the paint is peeling. I am told that it is out of warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called to log a complaint. They told me to take it to a dealer. Then, I should call them back. The dealer told me what I already knew that it is not under warranty. I will be calling on my 2017 escape with under 60k miles to file a complaint. I hope others do to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here just noticed paint peeling on Sunday. Took it to dealership Auto Shop. They told me it was a defect in paint and primer, and possibly error in primer not be sanded down because paint won’t stick to the surface. I’ve had my 2018 Ford Escape Titanium for 2 years but unfortunately my warranty is expired due to long distance travel to work so I’m at 60,000 miles. The dealership denied my claim and Auto Shop referred me to Ford Motor Company. A case was opened and they told me I should hear back in one business day 😒. The Auto Shop even found debris in under the paint...not fair to us to have to pay up when we are not the cause...it would be different if something hit my car and cause the paint to chip...but it’s peeling on it’s own!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very reminiscent of the mid 90's ford truck delamination issues, they were most prevalent at first on the blue's and silver's (weaker pigments??). as time went on we saw it on all colors. Back then they came out with a program to strip to bare metal and repaint. I believe their claim back then was a primer problem??? Back then the test was to apply 2 inch 3M masking tape to the surface for a few minutes and then pull the tape, If color stuck to the tape we had to retain the tape samples and get approval for repair. This was mainly on roof and hood areas I believe sun damage may have also had some bearing on the issue. That's too bad that Ford is again having an issue. Back then GM also had some delamination issues which they also I believe had some programs for repair. I believe this was the time the auto companies were starting to experiment with water base base coats.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Guess I'll need to look over my '17 carefully one of these days and see if I see any signs of peeling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So how do we file a claim with Ford? They told me to go to the dealer who said it isn't under warranty. It appears it is happening more on the blue vehicles than others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the same problem on my 2017 escape. I found the problem right after I hit the mileage warranty, but was within the time limit.

After going round and round with 3 different dealers, the original selling dealer finally was able to get Ford to pay for all but $100 of the repairs. (The quote I received was almost $3k)

I had the chipping on the drivers side pillar, as well as across the top of the windshield frame. The body shop guy said that they usually see this when the windshield is replaced by someone who doesn't know what they are doing, however I had the factory windshield and that wasn't it.

They also mentioned that there is absolutely zero documentation on any issues with the car until the time that the dealer receives it. If it is damaged (and repaired) for example when going from the factory to the local depot, they do NOT document it anywhere.

Best of luck! File a complaint with ford customer service, and stick with it. There is definitely a problem here.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 escape and noticed chipping by front window. Dealership is going to contact Ford. All I have to say is they better fix this. I have only had car for 6 weeks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am
Peeling paint

i have a 2017 Ford escape and 2 weeks ago I was shocked to see a big peice of paint removed from my left side of the windshield!!!!
I having the SAME issue... it’s unacceptable.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts