2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is no way Ford should not honor the warranty on the paint issue while the car is under the basic bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer is just trying to get out of the repair. Sure paint is going to chip, but that doesn't cause it to peel in sheets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
Your car looks like mine. I have a 2017 Escape, same blue. I don't need to post a pic because looks like yours.
Paint is chipping off near the windshield. My dealer customer care gal, service manager and owner act like this is no big deal and it's normal because it's water based paint. I cannot believe Ford is not standing behind its product and fixing this issue. I complained to the "Complaint" department and am told since there's no warranty blah, blah blah.
I said this is not a warranty issue and should be fixed because bad paint was used obviously. Supposedly today they are contacting my dealer and I should hear something tomorrow. guess they will give me another name for a body shop to use. I just want my car fixed and am so appalled at the response from Ford. Yes, I have contacted one local TV station and I will complain until my car gets fixed. My Escape looks like it's 10 years old. I am still paying for it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't care what type of paint is used, it should not peel or separate from the primer EVER!!!!! That S just not acceptable!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Escape. Came out of the doctor and thought it was something sitting on the car. Nope. I pay attention to my vehicles so it would have happened quickly or all at once. Ford has been nothing but issues for us

·
Registered
1 Posts
The exact same thing on the pillar has started to chip away. Ford doesn’t want to repair it. I can see by this forum that this is a widespread problem. It’s going to cost $3400 to repaint the panel properly. Since this is so widespread, Ford doesn’t want to acknowledge that there’s problem at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I have a 2017 with 17K Miles, my paint has pealed off the pillars down to the metal. I been reading a lot of this. I am fighting to have this fixed at the dealer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems there is many of the same issues. I have a 2017 escape I purchased just 3 yrs ago has 17K miles. Paint pealed off my drivers side pillar by windshield. This seems to be a huge issue, digging into this, Im furious..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not heard of Escapes having any sort of "orange peel" paint issues. I have a 14' like you used to, and have no issues.
Hopefully the dealership makes things right for you.
From what I have read for people with various cars over the years that did have "orange peel" paint, is that there usually some sort of primer & paint adhesion thing...kid of like painting flat paint over high gloss without sanding or treating first.
If it happens in one spot, there's a good change it will happen all over the vehicle in time.
You have the nice metallic blue as well, and that is harder to match up.
I would ask the dealership to do a full vehicle repaint, as that is the only way to know for sure that the paint is properly bonded to the vehicle and that all body panels will appear the same when they are done (partial vehicle paint jobs are never exact despite a paint shop's best efforts).
And be sure they pull the windshield, as that is the only way to get paint down into that exposes/recessed pinch weld area along the windshield.
Good luck and hopefully the dealership takes care of you well and promptly.
I have a 2017. I had older escape and loved it, so I bought this. I have 17k miles and now am just outside of 3yr and my pillar has completely pealed off. I do not live in a state with salt. I baby my car and seems noone wants to pay. Without sealer and paint it will start leaking. Im still paying on this car and Im furious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im having same issue. Mine has 17K miles but just outside my 3 years. My sealer said, sorry but we didn't build car call fords. I call fords and they said dealer can pay. Im basically screwed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The number of people with this 2017 blue paint problem are really adding up here and literally every auto complaint forum online. Ford really needs to do it's customer's right on this. It is a manufacturing defect causing frustrating finish issues and devalued property as the vehicle becomes very hard to sell. Toyota did it's Tacoma customers right for the year or two that there was rust problems. They had a reputation of high quality and standards to uphold. Sadly, just searching for Fords peeling paint will reveal Ford doesn't make good on their paint mistakes historically. This is why people hesitate buying American cars and it is sad. The problem is focused around the blue paint mostly or only. I bet a full vehicle sand down, prime, paint (perhaps several coats) and clearcoat will cost Ford $2,000 - $3,000 per car...for more expensive than a defective sensor or simple thing...but on par with say a replacement transmission. American cars could be on par with Toyota. Overall Ford vehicles are good. It is how they handle situations like this which is where they are lacking. They just are not ready to take things to the next level yet. Maybe one day. Remember orange peel Chevy Lumina and Dodge Caravans? GM and Chrysler are equally bad for customer support. I literally jsut pulled up an article about Toyota stepping in and helping customers who have pain peeling or vehicles that are known to have the pain peeling problem. Toyota's style, lack of bold colors and inability to pick individual options have kept me from being an owner...but I still recognize their durability, quality and that Toyota stands behind their vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The number of people with this 2017 blue paint problem are really adding up here and literally every auto complaint forum online. Ford really needs to do it's customer's right on this. It is a manufacturing defect causing frustrating finish issues and devalued property as the vehicle becomes very hard to sell. Toyota did it's Tacoma customers right for the year or two that there was rust problems. They had a reputation of high quality and standards to uphold. Sadly, just searching for Fords peeling paint will reveal Ford doesn't make good on their paint mistakes historically. This is why people hesitate buying American cars and it is sad. The problem is focused around the blue paint mostly or only. I bet a full vehicle sand down, prime, paint (perhaps several coats) and clearcoat will cost Ford $2,000 - $3,000 per car...for more expensive than a defective sensor or simple thing...but on par with say a replacement transmission. American cars could be on par with Toyota. Overall Ford vehicles are good. It is how they handle situations like this which is where they are lacking. They just are not ready to take things to the next level yet. Maybe one day. Remember orange peel Chevy Lumina and Dodge Caravans? GM and Chrysler are equally bad for customer support. I literally jsut pulled up an article about Toyota stepping in and helping customers who have pain peeling or vehicles that are known to have the pain peeling problem. Toyota's style, lack of bold colors and inability to pick individual options have kept me from being an owner...but I still recognize their durability, quality and that Toyota stands behind their vehicles.
My escape is white and Im seeing white and blue everywhere having this problem. Im getting a run around with 17K miles on my 2017.. The dealer I bought it from said, sorry nothing we can do, we don't make the car after I texted him pics. I called Ford they just took my complaint and said I can write to corporate and that they can not get other number or person to talk to. They said dealer has to take pics and submit a complaint and it would get passed on. But no guarantee. I took to another dealer and they said its a defect and they have not seen it, but would take pics and put a claim in and see what they can do. My car looks brand new besides all the paint pealed off on drivers side window. It has started on passenger side as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yes, I have the same issue. It is like they didn't prime part of the paint. I think I have posted it on this site before. Of course, it is not under warranty. 2017 blue escape under 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here just noticed paint peeling on Sunday. Took it to dealership Auto Shop. They told me it was a defect in paint and primer, and possibly error in primer not be sanded down because paint won’t stick to the surface. I’ve had my 2018 Ford Escape Titanium for 2 years but unfortunately my warranty is expired due to long distance travel to work so I’m at 60,000 miles. The dealership denied my claim and Auto Shop referred me to Ford Motor Company. A case was opened and they told me I should hear back in one business day 😒. The Auto Shop even found debris in under the paint...not fair to us to have to pay up when we are not the cause...it would be different if something hit my car and cause the paint to chip...but it’s peeling on it’s own!!! View attachment 75650 View attachment 75651
I've been going around and around with Ford for the last few months on this issue. The primer is delaminating. This has been happening to many of the 2017 Escapes. First it was the pillars on both side of my windshield, and I got that repainted by Ford. Then, three months later, it was the roof. They had it for 3 weeks this last time, repainting the roof. It is a known problem by Ford, but I guess enough people aren't complaining about it for them to issue a "ticket" on the problem and to repaint the affected Escapes. I'm a 100% disabled veteran, and my 2017 Escape only has 17k miles, and was primarily parked in the garage for the first 2.5 years I owned it. The paint peeling started in January 2019 when I had to start parking it outside. My Escape is going out of warranty next week, and despite the problem being known, the Ford dealership is trying to say that I will be responsible for the paint delimitation and subsequent repainting once my Escape goes out of warranty. This is a manufacturer's defect, caused by a bad formula in their primer. I started a "Case" with Ford, but so far they are trying to lead me around in circles on the issue.
What do you need to do to start a case with Ford? What is the resolution?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What do you need to do to start a case with Ford? What is the resolution?
Im just out of warranty, but only have 17K miles. I contacted Ford and I was told that they would take a complaint but I may not hear back. They then gave me a PO box I could right a letter. I found a FB site with many many people complaining about ford paint pealing, fords is aware of their paint issues. Im very upset with this ordeal. Mine pillars complete pealed off in strips. Cars just don't do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im just out of warranty, but only have 17K miles. I contacted Ford and I was told that they would take a complaint but I may not hear back. They then gave me a PO box I could right a letter. I found a FB site with many many people complaining about ford paint pealing, fords is aware of their paint issues. Im very upset with this ordeal. Mine pillars complete pealed off in strips. Cars just don't do this.
Called the 800 number, they took all my info and complaint, then said you may not here back but heres po address to corp. I have not heard back. Im angry that its 3yrs, Im paying and only has 17k miles and pealed paint. I have never had a car do this.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts