2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi, I've been following this thread for few weeks now and finally decided to add my case too. I'm dealing with the same issue on the driver side. As it started during a windshield replacement, I am covered by my insurance. Before getting an evaluation from the company, I went to my dealer and got the same answer as everyone which is it was caused by road hazard something. I asked the service guy: do you really believe what you're telling me? He told me at some point that it is Ford who pays him so he answers what Ford tells him to answer. So, I sent an email to Ford customer service department and thay told me that if the dealer says it's not covered, Ford will take the dealer words that it is not.

My next step was the insurance evaluation of the damage. The inspector (damage evaluator) wrote in his report that the issue can only be caused by a bad painting process, nothing caused by road hazard or anything else.

My next step is to go back to the dealer with the report and ask again if they will cover or not the repairs.

My car is still under the 3 years bumper to bumper warranty as I don't use it much. This issue should be covered by the 5 years construction default warranty.

As I am in Canada and more specifically in Quebec province, we have a government instance to deal with manufacturers who don't want to support their own warranty. It will be the step following my visit to the dealer. I just need to file a complaint and from there, I think that I can go past the warranty ending date until the resolution of the case. Maybe you should all look if you have the same kind of support from your legislators.

That appears to be the only course of action now for the many that are in this position with peeling paint issues as Ford appears to have wiped their hands of it. How they can insist it is not a warranty issue is beyond me and a class action would crucify them in my view.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the blue 2017 Escape with the paint peeling in the same area, the pillars next to the windshield. It was a little over a week ago that I noticed the passenger side peeling. I took it to the dealership, but naturally, it's out of warranty and they won't do anything about it. I called Ford Customer Care, they basically said the same thing, but filed the complaint anyway. I was gearing up to take it to a paint and body shop next week (for upwards of $600 for a manufacturer defect of PAINT), and then I just noticed today that it is now beginning to bubble and chip on the driver's side as well. I'm calling and filing an additional complaint. I encourage anyone else to do so as well. Customer Care advised me to keep my receipt in the event of something coming up down the line, such as a recall, and THEN they would be able to help. Maybe if enough complaints are filed, they will actually do something about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Peeling paint

i have a 2017 Ford escape and 2 weeks ago I was shocked to see a big peice of paint removed from my left side of the windshield!!!!
In San Francisco KPIX CH is working on something about the paint peeling. If you live in the SF Bay Area and have an Escape that is just barely out of warranty with peeling paint. Please contact them. They want to hear from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In San Francisco KPIX CH is working on something about the paint peeling. If you live in the SF Bay Area and have an Escape that is just barely out of warranty with peeling paint. Please contact them. They want to hear from you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
We had the same problem on the same area, all the paint flaked off the column next to the windshield. Ford paid to have the dealer repaint it, now the column on the passenger side is doing the same thing!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
We have a 2017 escape with the same issue. The paint flaked off along the whole inner column next to the windshield. Ford paid the dealer to repaint it, but now it's doing the same thing on the passenger side!!! It's 10 days past the warranty date but we called in and reported it just before then. Ford better cover it, or we will sue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the same problem on the same area, all the paint flaked off the column next to the windshield. Ford paid to have the dealer repaint it, now the column on the passenger side is doing the same thing!!!
Same problem with trucks painted lighting blue chips paint seems to be a paint adhesion problem between the primer and the extremely thin color c and top coat Ford repainted thousands of vehicle in the 1990s including my truck. the test was put a piece of masking tape on the body and pull it off the paint came off ... and a la suit followed to get every vehicle repaired by removing the primer and repainting ....same old ford

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like others here, found this site when I noticed the paint on my pillars peeling off my blue 17 escape. Vehicle has 41,000 miles and dealer won't cover the damage and 1800 number advised they would not cover anything either (out of warranty).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peeling paint

i have a 2017 Ford escape and 2 weeks ago I was shocked to see a big peice of paint removed from my left side of the windshield!!!!
I just found a huge section of missing paint on mine in the same spot 2 days ago and a smaller spot on the top right of the windshield. It wasn't there one day and the next it was. I will be taking my car to the dealer ship to find out if they plan on fixing it. It was mentioned by the men replacing my windshield today, that it has been a common issue on the 2017 ford escapes, especially the blue ones.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's sad, but it seems to depend on the color. I have the White Platinum paint, and have had no issues. Only reason there was ever a chip was because something that would cause one did. I think one of the reasons for this is that my color is a "Tri-coat" color, so it's just more coats. But I've noticed lots of "regular" white cars with the paint doing the pull n' peel. Even if they aren't Fords. GM has had some dubious paint jobs, too. I had a Malibu that I swear they were testing to see just how lightly they could coat it without seeing the primer through it, then put a clear coat over it that was more like sunburn peel. The blue seems to be the worst! That's unfortunate, because it's a cool color.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's sad, but it seems to depend on the color. I have the White Platinum paint, and have had no issues. Only reason there was ever a chip was because something that would cause one did. I think one of the reasons for this is that my color is a "Tri-coat" color, so it's just more coats. But I've noticed lots of "regular" white cars with the paint doing the pull n' peel. Even if they aren't Fords. GM has had some dubious paint jobs, too. I had a Malibu that I swear they were testing to see just how lightly they could coat it without seeing the primer through it, then put a clear coat over it that was more like sunburn peel. The blue seems to be the worst! That's unfortunate, because it's a cool color.
I have a 2017 Platinum White and I have paint chipping at the top of the windshield on both pillar sides. Our color is not immune to peeling. It is not a chip as the primer (yellow/gold color) is still visible underneath the flaking paint.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm. I at least haven't had the issue yet! I have had rock chips on the bumper that went down to the black plastic, but nothing else, so far. Makes me wonder if it just depends on when it was built for certain colors. I have seen more of the blue ones peel, though. It's one of the reasons I avoided that particular color. I like it, but I like it when it stays on the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The inside bottom edge of my driver’s door on my 2016 Escape is doing the same thing. Luckily it’s in a spot I can rattle can it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue. 2017 Escape in blue. In 2018 I noticed while washing the car that paint was flaking off on the driver side pillar (see first pic #6) and I called Ford as it was still under 3 year warranty. After fighting with them for weeks, I took it to a dealer and they fixed for free. Fast forward to 4/28/20 and I noticed that it's now peeling on both sides of the windshield (see photos 9&8) including the spot they fixed. I called Ford and since it's out of warranty they will not fix again. I know an acquaintance who owns a Ford dealership and even he said he can't/won't help. Ford knows consumers won't complain enough for it to be an issue so I'm looking to get a class action lawsuit together, but wanted to see if anyone else has started or has information about one in progress?

6.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue. 2017 Escape in blue. In 2018 I noticed while washing the car that paint was flaking off on the driver side pillar (see first pic #6) and I called Ford as it was still under 3 year warranty. After fighting with them for weeks, I took it to a dealer and they fixed for free. Fast forward to 4/28/20 and I noticed that it's now peeling on both sides of the windshield (see photos 9&8) including the spot they fixed. I called Ford and since it's out of warranty they will not fix again. I know an acquaintance who owns a Ford dealership and even he said he can't/won't help. Ford knows consumers won't complain enough for it to be an issue so I'm looking to get a class action lawsuit together, but wanted to see if anyone else has started or has information about one in progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember GM getting sued over clear coat failure in the early 90’s. My grandfather has his 91 S10 repainted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that our Lightning Blue 2017 has the same quarter-sized spot on the passenger side upper corner. We are at 42k and out of warranty and we didn't notice it until after. However, since the car is at the dealer for the POS transmission anyways, we're going to ask that they make a record of our complaint and tell us we're not covered so we can take it up with Ford corporate.

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 76861 View attachment 76862 View attachment 76863
My 2017 blue driver's side front pillar is peeled almost completely clean. I definitely could get down with a class-action on this. It is clearly a faulty product. I already had to have the short block replaced at 30,000 (thank goodness under warranty). It was a miserable experience and I will never buy another Ford vehicle again. It was so bad, I didn't even get the "how was our service department" survey.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts