2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 77401 Having same problem as most of the posts above as of today. 2017 Titanium Escape with 28,000 and out of warranty. Going to dealer, but with previous posts I am not looking to get very far. This makes me sick...to many people with the same problem for Ford not to take responsibility and fix these cars.
Joined the forum because my wife just texted me two photos... her 2017 Titanium trim White Platinum is peeling on the drivers side pillar by the windshield as others have discovered.

We're under warranty so we will see... appointment at the dealer today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope you can get some help. Dealer took pictures of mine but said since we were the second owners Ford would not help. Contacted Ford Motor Company and they gave me a case number and told me to re-contact the dealer...waiting to hear from them. The estimate I got was $1,400.00 to have it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope you can get some help. Dealer took pictures of mine but said since we were the second owners Ford would not help. Contacted Ford Motor Company and they gave me a case number and told me to re-contact the dealer...waiting to hear from them. The estimate I got was $1,400.00 to have it fixed.
Appointment was short and sweet as reported by my wife... 10 minutes. The dealership called me afterward and they said it was a common thing. In fact they'd just got done fixing the same thing on another Escape. So they have to submit it to Ford but if it gets approved, a few days to have it painted and they'd put her in a loaner car.

We will see, suddenly I'm not feeling warm inside about the paint on her vehicle. Why that particular area as it seems to be that way on many other Escapes in this thread?

I drive a 2013 F-150 Limited with the same color paint and outside of rock chips, there's zero issues. Definitely no peeling, bubbling, orange peel, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appointment was short and sweet as reported by my wife... 10 minutes. The dealership called me afterward and they said it was a common thing. In fact they'd just got done fixing the same thing on another Escape. So they have to submit it to Ford but if it gets approved, a few days to have it painted and they'd put her in a loaner car.

We will see, suddenly I'm not feeling warm inside about the paint on her vehicle. Why that particular area as it seems to be that way on many other Escapes in this thread?

I drive a 2013 F-150 Limited with the same color paint and outside of rock chips, there's zero issues. Definitely no peeling, bubbling, orange peel, etc.
I have read that it is a defect in the primer, but I am not sure. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer. What worries me is the fact that the rest of the car may start peeling. Also have read a lot of Escapes are having motor issues...ugh. Don't know if it would be best to keep it and have the paint repaired and hope for the best or trade for something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too am frustrated with the paint issue on this thread.

I have a 17 Escape SE, 55k mileage, Oxford White. I also have a 13 Escape SE, 95k mileage, Oxford White.

I have never had an issue with my 13, only the 17. Both are my former company vehicles purchased after lease. So both have been maintained the same way, same driveway, same weather, same usage.

I have noted that one reason we may not see this issue in the 13-16 Escape is a small design change for the 17-19. Ford changed the design on the windshield between the two models. The 13-16 has a built in rubber flange/molding that runs up the A Pillar and covers the area where the paint is an issue. The 17-19 this is no longer there, allowing weather/sunlight to actively degrade the finish and expose any flaws.

2013 Windshield part# CJ5Z7803100A
2017 Windshield part# GJ5Z7803100A

Once the finish starts to delaminate due to an issue at time of application, any water/moisture that can find its way under that bare edge will cause additional paint to chip off.

So far I have not had a chance to discuss with Ford, however based on this thread and being out of warranty I don't have my hopes up.

In the interim, anything you can do to keep water/moisture from getting under the finish, the better off you are. I have had a chance to apply touch up paint to the effected areas, ugly but so far effective. My next step will be to use Vinyl Vehicle Wrap and basically seal the area with the Wrap for protection. I will use Black, which will just look like the old molding style anyway and completely hide the issue.

For a bit of background, I have been an Auto Damage Appraiser for 20 years, I am completely familiar with the difference between normal wear/chipping on a paint job, and delimitation because of a flaw in the application.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
@QuackerBacker...yours is peeling up the side of the windscreen like some others? Many are also peeling on the top of the front doors between the A and B pillars apparently so maybe it is a problem there with the metal strip not sealing properly at the top of the doors?
We don't seem to have this problem in Australia and I haven't heard of it in Europe so it appears limited to US cars assembled there....Louisville?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
del

·
Registered
5 Posts
OMG That looks just like my car. Just came back from getting an estimate to fix and is was $1500! What have you done about this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Gone to dealer yet?

Here is what it looks like a week later. On the passenger side, there are a series of what looks like scratches running down the pillar, but it's the paint starting to peel. Going to dealer for pictures this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went to a dealer. I'm out of warranty they woundn't help. Don't know what to do.
I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I already called Ford and have a case number, but I think I will send a letter to Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center, PO Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126. Hope others will also because this seems to be a large problem that Ford needs to deal with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I already called Ford and have a case number, but I think I will send a letter to Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center, PO Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126. Hope others will also because this seems to be a large problem that Ford needs to deal with.
There is a Facebook page/group for Ford Owners with bad paint jobs (Ford/Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints) that I also recently joined. My wife's car I posted pics a few post back in this thread is under warranty and the dealer did get approval from Ford to have both pillars repainted. In fact she drops it off this morning and we get a loaner vehicle from the dealership. In speaking with the dealership the day my wife took her vehicle in to get it checked... the guy almost instantly admitted they see this a lot in fact they'd just had another Escaped repaired that week for the SAME THING!

That said not everyone is having this same experience and it's not just Escapes. One owner on the FB group posted on the official Ford FB page under a new model release post with a pic of the paint peeling off their roof and got a favorable reply from Ford. Some have had to take legal action to have a favorable response... just seems to be diverse in a bad way. For those that don't get a favorable respose it appear that being a squeeky wheel will work out in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this happen today. 39 months old, 6" patch of paint on the A pillar gone. Ford don't want to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 with 35, 800 mi
Am I missing something here or are the issues white and blue models? It definitely seems like something Ford should acknowledge as a problem... when picking up my wife's car the guy at the dealer said the primer was still under the paint in was just the paint that was peeling up. I know little to nothing about paint but wonder if it's getting contaminated... like some guy had a bad habit of putting his hand on the a pillar in the factory. ????

My wife's Escape is painted and back in our driveway. We had a pretty quick and favorable outcome thankfully.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Am I missing something here or are the issues white and blue models? It definitely seems like something Ford should acknowledge as a problem... when picking up my wife's car the guy at the dealer said the primer was still under the paint in was just the paint that was peeling up. I know little to nothing about paint but wonder if it's getting contaminated... like some guy had a bad habit of putting his hand on the a pillar in the factory. ????

My wife's Escape is painted and back in our driveway. We had a pretty quick and favorable outcome thankfully.
Yes it appears to be a fault with only blue and white cars and also only US models apparently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peeling paint

i have a 2017 Ford escape and 2 weeks ago I was shocked to see a big peice of paint removed from my left side of the windshield!!!!
I have a 2017 Ford Escape and mine looks exactly the same as yours! What happened with yours? Did the dealer help with the cost of the repair? I called ford tonight and they told me they are not responsible.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a 2017 Ford Escape and mine looks exactly the same as yours! What happened with yours? Did the dealer help with the cost of the repair? I called ford tonight and they told me they are not responsible.
Is it out of warranty? If not Ford should be liable. If you scroll back through this thread you should see action taken by many others here with the same paint problem.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts