2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

my 2017 Ford Escape SE 😭 bought it used had it for a month and a half and it started. Factory 3 years up so I guess I’m out of luck. Dang sucks to see so many with the same issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with paint and in exactly the same place. The dealership and Ford refuse to fix the issue and state that is my responsibility. Apparently my warranty became invalid 3 month prior to me noticing it. How did you resolve it?
Please feel free to reply.

So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
The paint will start falling off on the passenger side pillar next, and then above the window around the windshield. I have a 2017 escape and went through the same crap. I informed the Ford dealership to fix it correctly each time, and showed them all of the people who had the same problem. They promised to fix it right each time, but lied. I am now on the third repair around the top of the windshield, it's now out of warranty, and I will soon take Ford to small claims court to fix the factory defect correctly. I have had a Ford all my life, and will never buy one again. They have constant problems with paint simply falling off due to chemical issues with their paint and primer not being compatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My personal take on this issue is with the manner that the vehicles came down the paint shop assembly line, there was not enough airflow/dry time to allow the base coat to properly cure before the clear was sprayed on. The base is waterborne, it needs the appropriate amount of time & air to flash up before the clear goes on. In the 16 mnths that I've owned our Escape I've accumulated a large number of small paint chips from tiny debris that has hit the body from all sides. The paint has chipped off right down the the primer sealer.
Not pleased with this at all.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
So can you just clean up the area and repaint over the existing primer? Or should you put new primer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to the primer outside of a wet wipe with some thinners to clean it, 600 grit wetpaper to remove the hard edge of the basecoat/clearcoat where it has come off, extend the 600 to a small portion of the clear as well.. When you spray in the base coat you'll want to roll up the edge of the paint tape so you don't have a defined edge where what you spray on begins to cover the existing base coat. Do the same when you spray on the clear. After a few days curing time in a warm environment one can wet sand the area with 2000 wetpaper & then 3000 wetpaper, polish afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to the primer outside of a wet wipe with some thinners to clean it, 600 grit wetpaper to remove the hard edge of the basecoat/clearcoat where it has come off, extend the 600 to a small portion of the clear as well.. When you spray in the base coat you'll want to roll up the edge of the paint tape so you don't have a defined edge where what you spray on begins to cover the existing base coat. Do the same when you spray on the clear. After a few days curing time in a warm environment one can wet sand the area with 2000 wetpaper & then 3000 wetpaper, polish afterwards.
Ah ok thank you very much for the information I really appreciate it !

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2017 Escape Titanium and the driver's side window column was doing the exact same thing, peeling and blistering. According to the body shop we took it too it was definitely a bad paint or primer job! We decided to go ahead and have it repaired before it got even worse. The Body shop we used did a great job and it looks great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 77972
my 2017 Ford Escape SE 😭 bought it used had it for a month and a half and it started. Factory 3 years up so I guess I’m out of luck. Dang sucks to see so many with the same issue!
We have a 2017 Escape Titanium and the driver's side window column was doing the exact same thing, peeling and blistering. According to the body shop we took it too it was definitely a bad paint or primer job! We decided to go ahead and have it repaired before it got even worse. The Body shop we used did a great job and it looks great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2017 Blue SE Escape .....same paint issue in April, they repaired....we'll see if it holds.....now some paint coming off under the door on the same side of vehicle ?? vehicle has mud flaps and has been Krowned every year.....took it back to dealer 3 weeks ago, just out side of my 3 yr/60 k warranty, I am awaiting word on whether they will fix this paint issue.......no way this should be happening, losing faith in Ford and their crappy paint

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
This could be due to the fact that 2013-2016 had a rubber window gasket in this area. It also had a TSB for popping up causing wind noise. It could be they never changed the process for this "floating" glass.

Not specifically peeling but does anyone notice orange peel in their paint? My 2016 is magnetic which shows absolutely nothing and when I was waxing my car today i noticed that while the surface is smooth and glossy, underneath the entire body seems to have orange peel or a ridged paint application. It's most noticeable along the window ridge and runs all the way down on both sides. Would this become an issue later on?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you get any help from dealer my wife’s car is doing the same

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am just going to throw this out there...something to think about. I used to work in a glass shop. A bead of urethane bonds the windshield to the inside of the pinch weld. Where everyone is having paint peeling is on the visible sides of the outer pinch weld. If the same paint bonding issue persists under the glass as does on the sides of the A pillar that you can see (and possibly on the top and lower windshield pinch welds)...hypothetically if you were in an accident your windshield could come out (or come out quicker than it would if there was good paint for a proper bond). Rust can cause windshields to come out in an accident. Heck, sometimes the forces exerted in a bad accident on their own can make a windshield eject. But if the bond of the windshield to the pain is not proper, the chances of that happening are more likely. The windshield is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle and if it pops out in an accident, the car is prone to crumpling more under the forces exerted. Likewise, anything not secured in an accident could potentially fly out through the hole (including yourself).

Has anybody had their windshields pulled to see the extent of the pain peeling issue? Where does it start/end? Are the upper and lower parts of the pinch weld also prone to paint peeling. Also, does the pain "orange peel" up onto the roof when being worked on?

If I were one of the affected folks with the problem, I would get some body shop quotes ASAP if Ford will not cover it. Let them tell you if you are safe for the time being until you get it fixed. Maybe you can just have the windshield replaced for $200 - $300 (or less with insurance) and maybe even the insurance will cover the repair and paint cost as it is a safety thing (like a no-fault accident or something like that). It would not hurt to ask the insurance company. If the paint peeling is limited to just the pinch weld around the windshield on all sides, if you are OK without needing the majority of the vehicle re-sprayed, maybe you can get the work done for under $1000. You will have a "paint line" near the top of the A pillar (and maybe across the front of the roofline an inch or two behind the pinch weld) where the two painted surfaces meet...and the paint may not match perfectly...but at least you will be safe . Be safe everyone and good luck in dealing with this issue. It is more than just an appearance issue. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Wildcat, looks like your peeling exactly in the same spots mine was. Funnily enough, I’m about to go pick the car up now. They sent it to an auto body shop, Was there for a week. Ford covered the repair and the dealer gave me a loner. I am still under warranty. If you’re still under warranty, take car in ASAP. Only reason I took a bit to get it done, is procrastination. Lol. Good luck!
My daughters is the same year and same color. She is having the same issue. Ford dealership denied it. Ford Motor denied the claim. I am working on talking to the reps to chew them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called to log a complaint. They told me to take it to a dealer. Then, I should call them back. The dealer told me what I already knew that it is not under warranty. I will be calling on my 2017 escape with under 60k miles to file a complaint. I hope others do to.
I have the same issue. 2017 blue escape. paint peel on the windshield pillars. Filed a complaint. Ford denied to fix it. Out of warranty. Dealership told me they look at how loyal you are as a customer. Well ok, I have bought 7 Fords from the same dealership. Apparently that doesn't matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update, Now it is peeling on the other side of the windshield. There are no other spots on the body of the car. How is this not a defect? I have an appointment with Maaco tomorrow to check on the costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The paint will start falling off on the passenger side pillar next, and then above the window around the windshield. I have a 2017 escape and went through the same crap. I informed the Ford dealership to fix it correctly each time, and showed them all of the people who had the same problem. They promised to fix it right each time, but lied. I am now on the third repair around the top of the windshield, it's now out of warranty, and I will soon take Ford to small claims court to fix the factory defect correctly. I have had a Ford all my life, and will never buy one again. They have constant problems with paint simply falling off due to chemical issues with their paint and primer not being compatible.
Maybe you can have all of us in a class action suit. Mine started on drivers side and now is all around the windshield. I talked to the dealership in Greenfield Indiana. They have seen this before and tried to get Ford to cover it, but had no luck. I am going to pay to have mine done. (which we should not have to) It is $800 at the dealership. Maaco was about the same price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update, Now it is peeling on the other side of the windshield. There are no other spots on the body of the car. How is this not a defect? I have an appointment with Maaco tomorrow to check on the costs.
Update: I talked to the dealership in Greenfield Indiana. They have seen this before and tried to get Ford to cover it, but had no luck. I am going to pay to have mine done. (which we should not have to) It is $800 at the dealership. Maaco was about the same price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My daughters is the same year and same color. She is having the same issue. Ford dealership denied it. Ford Motor denied the claim. I am working on talking to the reps to chew them out.
I called Ford directly and messaged on face book. They said they would log my complaint. I guess they need more people reporting the same issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your car looks like mine. I have a 2017 Escape, same blue. I don't need to post a pic because looks like yours.
Paint is chipping off near the windshield. My dealer customer care gal, service manager and owner act like this is no big deal and it's normal because it's water based paint. I cannot believe Ford is not standing behind its product and fixing this issue. I complained to the "Complaint" department and am told since there's no warranty blah, blah blah.
I said this is not a warranty issue and should be fixed because bad paint was used obviously. Supposedly today they are contacting my dealer and I should hear something tomorrow. guess they will give me another name for a body shop to use. I just want my car fixed and am so appalled at the response from Ford. Yes, I have contacted one local TV station and I will complain until my car gets fixed. My Escape looks like it's 10 years old. I am still paying for it.
2017 Escape. Came out of the doctor and thought it was something sitting on the car. Nope. I pay attention to my vehicles so it would have happened quickly or all at once. Ford has been nothing but issues for us View attachment 76268
I bought mine about two months ago it wasn't like that when I bought it but it looks just like yours now and still peeling off

121 - 140 of 142 Posts