2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
got the same issue on mine.
touched it up myself.
How did you do that?
Did you just sand the area and use a spray can with the matching paint?
If so, how did you blend it in with the surrounding paint?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
How did you do that?
Did you just sand the area and use a spray can with the matching paint?
If so, how did you blend it in with the surrounding paint?
It's been my experience to let a professional body shop do it. Sure it will cost more than doing it yourself BUT it will be done right. Your dealer does sell a color match pen thing but I doubt that any ordinary car owner will ever get good results by using this thing? Some things are DIY but touching up paint is not one of them. Good luck. :)

Reactions: wiz043 and ralph7up

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It's been my experience to let a professional body shop do it. Sure it will cost more than doing it yourself BUT it will be done right. Your dealer does sell a color match pen thing but I doubt that any ordinary car owner will ever get good results by using this thing? Some things are DIY but touching up paint is not one of them. Good luck. :)
Luckily I don't have the problem as mine is a red aussie car but I was just curious as to how it could be done this way by the OP and not be noticeable. :unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with 2017 Escape Titanium. Paint peeling from driver side pillar and on passenger side top windshield. Frustrating to see so many other people having same problem, but not be addressed by Ford.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
I have a 2019. I have the exact same paint issue and the same spot. Ford won’t do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have a 2019. I have the exact same paint issue and the same spot. Ford won’t do anything about it.
Sadly you have a lot of friends here with the same issue... 😢 .
Scroll back for possible suggestions regarding action against Ford..

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You are in the 4th gen. section where this does not appear to be a problem. Sadly there are countless contributors with blue or white cars with this issue in the 3G section.
Good luck getting the dealer to do anything about it...

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
Pretty upset finding so many with the same paint issue around the windshield. Still waiting to hear from my Dealer on the repair!!
I merged your thread to the existing thread, on this issue, in the 3G sub forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty upset finding so many with the same paint issue around the windshield. Still waiting to hear from my Dealer on the repair!!
Just discovered I have exactly the same problem in exactly the same areas on a 2018 Escape (only 28K miles) with exactly the same paint color. I empathize. I'm 4 months out of warranty for the issue, and I'm going to raise hell with Ford (for all the good that will do).

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got gas tonight and noticed what I thought was a leaf, but as you can see, the paint is chipping/flaking off the car. There is no visible trauma, just flaking off. Driver side windshield pillar. As you can see, a piece has come off and there is a larger section ready to come off as well, also area above it feels lumpy. The material underneath looks like paint was never on it. BTW, 2017 model, and I just hit 14k miles this week. Will be calling dealership tomorrow...SMH.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Know how they handle it?

I had a 2014 previously and had no issues with it at all. I like how they rearranged everything and the tech is better, but have had quality control issues since day one(fasteners not fastened, something rolling around in dashboard, sync issues, don't get me started on auto stop/fart system). I'm hoping just cause it was a first build, unlike my 2014.

Sorry for being dirty, they over salted roads for a storm that never happened here.
My 17 ford escape paint job is terrible

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Blue Ford Escape with peeling pillars and I’m bringing them to small claims court over it. This is the second time in less than a year that it’s had peeling paint first was driver side now it’s passenger. I shall trade it in after and never buy a Ford again because of the terrible customer service. Chevy fixed their peeling paint, Ford doesn’t care about customers I've found out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the blue 2017 Escape with the paint peeling in the same area, the pillars next to the windshield. It was a little over a week ago that I noticed the passenger side peeling. I took it to the dealership, but naturally, it's out of warranty and they won't do anything about it. I called Ford Customer Care, they basically said the same thing, but filed the complaint anyway. I was gearing up to take it to a paint and body shop next week (for upwards of $600 for a manufacturer defect of PAINT), and then I just noticed today that it is now beginning to bubble and chip on the driver's side as well. I'm calling and filing an additional complaint. I encourage anyone else to do so as well. Customer Care advised me to keep my receipt in the event of something coming up down the line, such as a recall, and THEN they would be able to help. Maybe if enough complaints are filed, they will actually do something about it.
I too have 2017 escape paint began peeling on drivers side pillar and Ford covered repair under warranty. Now 7 months after warranty expired the other side peeling and a bubble appears on drivers side. It's factory defect, but doubt Ford will cover passenger side was referred back to company who did paint job for driver side.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Luckily I don't have the problem as mine is a red aussie car but I was just curious as to how it could be done this way by the OP and not be noticeable. :unsure:
I don't believe it can be done and not be noticeable. IMHO this is not a DIY project that is IF you want a perfect outcome? :)

Reactions: wiz043

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I too have 2017 escape paint began peeling on drivers side pillar and Ford covered repair under warranty. Now 7 months after warranty expired the other side peeling and a bubble appears on drivers side. It's factory defect, but doubt Ford will cover passenger side was referred back to company who did paint job for driver side.
IMHO This paint peeling issue is defiantly a fault of Ford as it would seem that the surface was not properly prepared for painting.

Reactions: Gr8ferme

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. 2017 Escape in blue. In 2018 I noticed while washing the car that paint was flaking off on the driver side pillar (see first pic #6) and I called Ford as it was still under 3 year warranty. After fighting with them for weeks, I took it to a dealer and they fixed for free. Fast forward to 4/28/20 and I noticed that it's now peeling on both sides of the windshield (see photos 9&8) including the spot they fixed. I called Ford and since it's out of warranty they will not fix again. I know an acquaintance who owns a Ford dealership and even he said he can't/won't help. Ford knows consumers won't complain enough for it to be an issue so I'm looking to get a class action lawsuit together, but wanted to see if anyone else has started or has information about one in progress?

View attachment 76861 View attachment 76862 View attachment 76863
Did you get any response to this? I just noticed a day ago my paint has begun to peel on the pillars next to the windshield; I have the same blue color as you and most others. Mine is a 2018 Titanium. I have an appt at a Ford dealership in about an hour, but I’m out of warranty and have low expectation of anything being done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Gone to dealer yet?

Here is what it looks like a week later. On the passenger side, there are a series of what looks like scratches running down the pillar, but it's the paint starting to peel. Going to dealer for pictures this week.
This happened to my 2017 Escape two weeks after it fell out of warranty, same spot same damage pictured at only 40,000 miles, but per ford it wouldn't have mattered. They will only cover paint damage/peeling if there is rusty involved. I went all the way to corporate, the best offer was they would reimburse me 25% of bill to repair damage but only thru a ford dealer, no one else. This happen June 2020 and I was told there were no other incidents/damage like mine. I may have to look for those phone numbers again after seeing all the complaints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Escape with blue paint. Went to breakfast with a buddy of mine yesterday and we stood outside by the car talking, and he said, "So, your paints coming off?" I looked at the hood as I assumed that's where he was talking about, then I saw the pillars. Same exact spots as most everyone else- long strip on driver's side, upper corner on passenger's side. Don't know how I could have missed it- may have just flaked off. I'll contact my dealer and Ford, but sounds like it will be no joy. My fourth Ford in a row, and will be my last. If I want crappy quality, I can buy ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 FORD ESCAPE W/BLUE PAINT. PEELING/FLAKING OFF AROUND WINDSHIELD. CAR HAS LESS THAN 15,000 MILES. GETTING RUN AROUND LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. WAS FIRST TOLD COVERED BY CORROSION 5YR WARANTEE, BUT NOW TOLD DIFFERENT. STILL FIGHTING! GOOD LUCK ALL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Escape with blue paint. Went to breakfast with a buddy of mine yesterday and we stood outside by the car talking, and he said, "So, your paints coming off?" I looked at the hood as I assumed that's where he was talking about, then I saw the pillars. Same exact spots as most everyone else- long strip on driver's side, upper corner on passenger's side. Don't know how I could have missed it- may have just flaked off. I'll contact my dealer and Ford, but sounds like it will be no joy. My fourth Ford in a row, and will be my last. If I want crappy quality, I can buy ANYTHING.
I have exactly the same problem. Flaking/bubbling off on drivers side and upper passenger side around the windshield. Called Ford customer div...they directed me to go to the dealership to have it evaluated. Did that, they contacted Ford with photos and samples. Ford responded that they will do nothing for my 2017 Escape. This is a 4 year old car with 29k miles on it....garaged. No rust...just paint peeling off around the windshield in chunks. This is either a paint or process issue. Not normal wear and tear. Ford will not back this problem. I will fix it....trade this Ford and my other Ford...and never own another Ford.....not ever. My word of mouth will be regular about this. Not a coincidence that this specific year, make and model has the exact same problem. Ford knows this. They are trying to take the cheap and easy route rather than back their buyers and own up to this defect.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts