2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the parking lights stay on when the door or hatch is open? Is there any good reason for this? Is there a way to disable this feature?
Seems like an unnecessary drain on the battery. I know they will turn off eventually but I want this feature gone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow....my exact thoughts as well on this feature. I want to know if it can be turned off? But, since this original question/thread has no replies in over a year...perhaps no one else feels the feature is a negative.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
...perhaps no one else feels the feature is a negative.
That's my opinion - I consider it a nice convenience/safety feature, haven't found a situation yet where it is a nuisance. Nice to have light around the car at night when poking into the doors, especially nice if you're on the roadside for some reason. There are battery protection features that keep it (or any other non-starting electrical drain) from leaving you stranded.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I dunno. When I first got my ride I felt the lights were way overboard and lacked the customization some folks need. But now that I've had her for 2 years I kinda like it, and when I walk up to my car at night and unlock it, it still makes me smile.

Reactions: centex

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm more thinking it's more wear on the light bulbs and switches, but without knowledge in how it all works, I guess I'll assume it's all good and not be negative. I would rather Ford have Daytime Running Lights for a safety feature. My GM vehicles have had them since 1996....why is Ford not on board with this? :confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agreed, I wouldn't mind disabling this feature.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
They time out and turn off after a period of time- at least that's what I've noticed with my 2016 Kuga.

I do agree that this vehicle seems to have a plethora of battery chewing functions. My first time washing it yesterday and I discovered how spraying water in the vicinity of any door handle will lock/ unlock the doors (along with the mirrors folding in/out and lights coming on.) So you need to wash the car without having the key fob on you....

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL
192 Posts
If you don't want them to stay on with the door open just push the turn signal stalk towards the front of the car twice and they will turn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don't want them to stay on with the door open just push the turn signal stalk towards the front of the car twice and they will turn off.
Yes, but every time you re-open the door light are on again.

So, my question is - is it possible to turn it OFF via OBD2 using Forscan or IDS? I have VCX NANO adapter.

What is the PID for this option? In which module is responsible for this option?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Or 17 Escape S does the same thing with the parking and taillights staying on with the doors or rear tailgate/hatch open and it just stays on. So far, it does not seem to drain the battery enough to hurt anything but i always wonder. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Escape Trend, when I open the tail gate the parkers come on and stay on forever. When I take my dog out, he likes to sit in the back with the tail gate open whilst waiting for us or just snoozing at a BBQ! How can I stop this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts