2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2019 SE, that just hit 10,000 miles. (I live in a very rural area and drive for DoorDash and UberEats after work when I’m in town, hence the higher mileage already).
I was very vocal about my displeasure at having to trade in my Focus when it went south (it was from the dreaded 2012 to 2014 time span). Major apologies to my poor boyfriend’s ears and sanity for all my whining, heh 😅😇 So, to help me “find the fun” in the new vehicle, (let’s face it, that little Focus was a crap-ton of fun to drive, for such a small econo-type car); he wants to put a Pedal Commander in this Escape.
Now, we’ve both done a lot of research, and haven't really found anything to discourage installing one. But I want to hear it from fellow Escape owners, hopefully those that have, or have had one. I understand it won’t void my warranty, but even so... are there any major cons to this thing? For example: Will it cause any electrical or mechanical failures in the future? What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
What does your Ford dealer say regarding it voiding your warranty? If you've got a 1.5l EcoBoost it would possibly be wise to keep it stock as there are more than a few than are suffering from coolant leaking into the cylinders.

PS: Do you drive with it in "S" mode on the auto trans? Try that first and some high octane fuel before spending money on something like a pedal commander. IMHO if you're set on doing something a proper engine tune would be better- Livernois Motorsports come to mind as one place people on here have used.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Never heard of these Pedal Commanders before. Seem to get positive reviews. I suppose you would pay the same for a decent tune but these things seem to be designed to give a much better throttle response without affecting anything else and would possibly eliminate any turbo lag..
I would imagine it would void your warranty as would any plug in device unless disconnected prior to service.
Anyone here installed one?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have 2019 SE, that just hit 10,000 miles. (I live in a very rural area and drive for DoorDash and UberEats after work when I’m in town, hence the higher mileage already).
I was very vocal about my displeasure at having to trade in my Focus when it went south (it was from the dreaded 2012 to 2014 time span). Major apologies to my poor boyfriend’s ears and sanity for all my whining, heh 😅😇 So, to help me “find the fun” in the new vehicle, (let’s face it, that little Focus was a crap-ton of fun to drive, for such a small econo-type car); he wants to put a Pedal Commander in this Escape.
Now, we’ve both done a lot of research, and haven't really found anything to discourage installing one. But I want to hear it from fellow Escape owners, hopefully those that have, or have had one. I understand it won’t void my warranty, but even so... are there any major cons to this thing? For example: Will it cause any electrical or mechanical failures in the future? What are your thoughts?
It may. Any time you add something to an existing system (mechanical or electrical) you are adding to its potential to fail. OEM or otherwise. How much more likely to fail? Probably insignificant in the greater scheme of things but still, be aware of it.

The pedal commander is simply a device that changes the size of the signal sent to the ECM in response to the position of the gas pedal.
So, if you have the gas pedal at 25% full throttle, instead of the ECM seeing 25% throttle, it sees a signal that says 27% or 30%. That's an exaggeration but that's all it does.

The other thing that device does is help with throttle tip-in, when the ECM sees the movement from the pedal. '05-'10 for example have horrible throttle lag where the first up-to 1/2" of gas pedal travel does nothing (dead space). 1/2" may be an exaggeration but if you've never drive one (especially the automatics), its is very noticeable and disconcerting. Anyways, there are several work around for that but the pedal commander is one of them.

For me, the Escape already has a touchy throttle at low speeds so I'm not sure how'd it would feel to have that be even more aggressive and I own a Mustang GT. That's just me though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All these do is give you throttle response changes. It's honestly silly. Just push your foot down harder if you want it to go faster. Foot to the floor gets you the exact same in both, the pedal commander just makes it an exponential curve by telling the car you're pushing the pedal down further than you actually are.

It won't cause any problems as long as its working correctly, but seriously. Instead of getting that, just press your foot down harder. It does the same thing.

It won't void your warranty, but I really think it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
I understand it won’t void my warranty,
It won't void your warranty
That's a misleading if not downright false oversimplification, often made by less than scrupulous aftermarket gimmick vendors.

While true that no modification can automatically void an entire vehicle warranty, per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (US federal statute), any otherwise valid warranty claim can (and likely will be) denied warranty coverage by the vehicle manufacturer to the extent that the vehicle manufacturer determines that the modification caused or contributed to the reason for the failure giving rise to the claim.

No one, not the vendor of the aftermarket part, you, nor a dealer or manufacturer, can pre-guarantee the outcome of a warranty claim; claims must be determined on a case-by-case basis when the occurrence arises, it's the law. No one can know the reason for a failure before it occurs, and all warranty coverage is predicated on conditions that can't be determined until the circumstance arises.

There is always risk that any modification may jeopardize related warranty coverage. Think carefully about your risk tolerance, your car has a 5-year / 60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty; that's what you're tinkering with / potentially placing at risk.

Personally, I wouldn't modify anything relating to the powertrain during that coverage, but YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're also overcomplicating it.

If you do have to make a warranty claim I would recommend removing it...as I would any aftermarket powertrain impacting devices.

There is no possible way the dealer knows you had a pedal commander installed after removal. They have absolutely no way of knowing. Not to mention, literally all it does is translate the analog input from the accelerator pedal to a different voltage to make it look like the pedal is being pushed down further.

I still don't recommend installing this in the first place, but my point stands. It cannot void your warranty, especially if they have no way of knowing it was ever there. I can understand if you left it on they may refuse to work on it, but thats not a denial of warranty.

Edit to add one other note: If your modification didn't cause the damage, you have to have a pretty terrible service department to try to not get a warranty claim put through. I have spent way too much time in dealers of different brands dealing with warranty work. I've only ever had 1 claim denied and it was rightfully denied due to damage that was my fault. Hell, I got a clutch warrantied in my mustang with a custom tune still on the car! You're right when you say YMMV but find a good dealer and they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
If you do have to make a warranty claim I would recommend removing it...as I would any aftermarket powertrain impacting devices.
Personal integrity (or lack thereof) is beyond the scope of this discussion, but vehicle manufacturers deal with attempted warranty fraud all the time and as a matter of self-interest and duty to their shareholders and honest customers do strive to detect it.

See attached (not copyrighted) Ford dealer guidance document as evidence.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
For clarity, them covering my clutch wasn't warranty fraud on my part. It was just me showing that my modifications were not the reason the clutch failed.

I understand warranty fraud is a big problem, just sharing my experiences.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
For clarity, in this thread I haven't accused anyone of warranty fraud, though your "recommend(ation)" to remove mods prior to seeking warranty satisfaction does seem to tilt in that direction.

Again, M-MWA is explicit and well-established law ... the mere presence of a mod cannot serve as basis for declining a warranty claim; a reasonable cause-effect relationship must be established on a case-specific basis (and that can be, and often is, established even when the 'offending mod' is removed or 'hidden').

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Make that throttle response more aggressive.
And the auto trans will kick down a gear sooner if you accelerate. At a constant throttle input it will also change up a bit later in each gear and not load the engine up at ridiculously lows revs in a high gear. (Something the Pedal Commander wouldn't change.) While "S" is more responsive, it won't unnecessarily rev out in each gear with normal throttle inputs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
And the auto trans will kick down a gear sooner if you accelerate. At a constant throttle input it will also change up a bit later in each gear and not load the engine up at ridiculously lows revs in a high gear. (Something the Pedal Commander wouldn't change.) While "S" is more responsive, it won't unnecessarily rev out in each gear with normal throttle inputs.
Yeah...on one of the video 'reviews' it demonstrates the 1 second improvement in 0-60 mph. acceleration times with the Pedal Commander fitted but you would probably achieve the same result in Sport mode compared to normal auto mode in the case of the Escape anyway.
Probably most other modern SUV's have a Sports mode too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with this...use sport mode if you care so much - instead of a pedal commander.

Yeah...on one of the video 'reviews' it demonstrates the 1 second improvement in 0-60 mph. acceleration times with the Pedal Commander fitted but you would probably achieve the same result in Sport mode compared to normal auto mode in the case of the Escape anyway.
Probably most other modern SUV's have a Sports mode too.
That review is BS. Pedal commander or not foot to the floor is the same engine output. Same with sport vs normal mode.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree with this...use sport mode if you care so much - instead of a pedal commander.

That review is BS. Pedal commander or not foot to the floor is the same engine output. Same with sport vs normal mode.
I agree...the main difference with Sports mode is a bit better throttle response and the fact that gear changes are at longer intervals reducing engine stress particularly on inclines. Engine output is obviously the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all very much for taking the time out of your day to respond to my question. Your answers are much appreciated! I figured I might get more info here then I did from my dealer (the techs I questioned seemed not familiar with the pedal commander device at all). While I hesitate to experiment with the S-mode after my Focus experience, (yes, I understand the sport feature wasn’t the direct cause, still hesitant though)... We’ll be saving our hard-earned dollars and strictly sticking to slight appearance modifications for the time being.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thank you all very much for taking the time out of your day to respond to my question. Your answers are much appreciated! I figured I might get more info here then I did from my dealer (the techs I questioned seemed not familiar with the pedal commander device at all). While I hesitate to experiment with the S-mode after my Focus experience, (yes, I understand the sport feature wasn’t the direct cause, still hesitant though)... We’ll be saving our hard-earned dollars and strictly sticking to slight appearance modifications for the time being.
I think your bad S-mode experience from your Focus was more to do with the DSP6 transmission if that's what was in the car you are referencing.

I like the S-mode on the Escape. Does more than my wife's VW S-mode that merely revs out the gears more. It does nothing for throttle response or overall responsiveness IMO.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
While I hesitate to experiment with the S-mode after my Focus experience, (yes, I understand the sport feature wasn’t the direct cause, still hesitant though)...
You're talking the Focus Powershift (dual clutch automated transmission) vs a traditional torque converter auto in the Escape. Trust me S will not cause any damage. I don't know why you'd want to fit a third party device like the "pedal commander" if you're worried about breaking something in your vehicle!

PS: I always use S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts