2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure this one out. We checked into a hotel in yosemite but the room wasn't ready. I got some stuff out of the cargo area and we left for almost 3 hours. Couldn't believe it when we came back but the liftgate was wide open. I am positive that I closed it and watched it latch because I wanted to make sure the suitcases weren't in the way. Thankfully nothing was stolen. All our clothes iPads etc. we're still there. I am stumped as to what could have happened. Only two things I can come up with either I reached into my pocket walking away and somehow hit the button twice or another key activated it. Don't know how many different frequencies they use. Anyone ever heard of this or any other thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last week one if my coworkers came to me and told me my lift gate was open. He said he thought I was getting something out of the back but after an hour of it being open he came and told me. I had the key fob in my jeans pocket and nothing else. Since then I have been keeping the fob where I can not accidentally press the buttons. Definitely would be interested to see if others are having the same problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that this happened I am noticing how far you can be from your car and the fob still work. My Fusion had to be within about 40 feet. Testing the Escape I am estimating conservatively 200 feet and it still works. Not sure that this is a good thing. My wife jokingly said we should go by a ford dealer and see if we can open anything.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Do you think you are accidentally hitting the keyfob? Or is it actually opening by itself.

haha @ the phantom liftgate title.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its never happened to me. I hope it never will.
When I have my dog in the back and have to run into a store for a few minutes I’m TERRIFIED that the hatch will open and my dog will run out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think you are accidentally hitting the keyfob? Or is it actually opening by itself.

haha @ the phantom liftgate title.
It is possible. In the past I have set off alarms by leaning on something with the key in my pocket. It would just seem harder to do in this case since it has to be pressed twice. After I shut it, all we did was walk away. I may have reached into my pocket for something but doubt I could have hit it twice.

Any one have info as to the likely hood of another Ford key fob opening it? Since these things work from so far away I am sure there would have been another in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have set off the panic alarm with the fob in my pocket several times but not the liftgate. However my liftgate has fails to close automatically on a regular basis (it will close and then pop open) without any obstruction or other door open. I have had the car in several times, and I'm waiting for a new part to come in that they want to try, to see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have set off the panic alarm with the fob in my pocket several times but not the liftgate. However my liftgate has fails to close automatically on a regular basis (it will close and then pop open) without any obstruction or other door open. I have had the car in several times, and I'm waiting for a new part to come in that they want to try, to see if there is any improvement.
Does it pop open right away or is there a delay? I did watch it close and would probably have seen it reopen if it happened immediately.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Its never happened to me. I hope it never will.
When I have my dog in the back and have to run into a store for a few minutes I’m TERRIFIED that the hatch will open and my dog will run out.
I know they sell keyfob protectors that prevent accident presses. Is the Escape fob the same as other Fords?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
5606 - 2013 Escape - Intermittent Liftgate Operation With DTCs C2006 and/or B1453
Some 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with a power or hands-free liftgate may exhibit intermittent liftgate operation with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) C2006 and /or B1453. Using IDS, click on DTC and if status is history, clear DTC and attempt to duplicate customer€™s concern before performing additional diagnostics. I f DTC status is active, proceed with normal diagnostics, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-03, Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) DTC Chart. The Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) is incorrectly referred to as the LTM in the WSM and is being updated. These DTC’s can be set by alignment, obstructions, water intrusion, i ce, extremely low ambient temperatures, or customer pushing against an open or c lose event. The WSM diagnostics for the Liftgate are currently being updated; pl ease continue to monitor OASIS.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think it happened to me once, but I may have inadvertently hit the release switch on the key fob inside the house when I was cleaning and moving stuff around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Liftgate opening by itself

Hello

I have a new 2014 Escape Titanium edition with 1500 miles on it, and the same thing happened to me TWICE this week. The first time my wife had used the car, and I came out the following morning, and was shocked to see the rear liftgate opened. I told her to be more careful when locking the vehicle, thinking that perhaps she pressed the wrong button on the keyless entry remote. We both have been extra conscious of it ever since, and now lock the vehicle before walking away. If happened again this morning, and I am absolutely positive that it was closed and locked. We live in the city, and coming out to an open trunk is totally unacceptable. If anyone else has this problem, please let me know. Perhaps someone else's remote is activating my car?? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My power liftgate opened itself today

Add me to the list of people that have had the mystery liftgate opening. It opened when I was not near the car; car was in same building but in the parking garage. I do not think I accidentally touched fob. Did not know what had happened until person who parks next to me told me. 2015 TITANIUM 4wd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For the instances where it could be triggered by an accidental push of the key fob, the lift gate will open when locked. IE: you don't need to unlock the vehicle before opening lift gate via keyfob.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
We need an option to disable the auto lift. This and the issue I haver just being close and joking a trailer or moving groceries in had caused the door to just open or close on me.
Just unplug the sensor...:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts