2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any have any experience with the EV setting on the PHEV 2020 Escape?
On my first tank of 325 miles of city driving and charge every nite I got 113 mpg
On first road trip to LA starting with full battery got 55mpg on the road.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape PHEV SE
8 Posts
I have a 2021 PHEV (plug in hybrid). I use the EV Now setting as almost all of my driving is less than 40 miles round trip so I never use the gas engine. I have almost 800 miles in and have only used a half a tank of gas.

I still use the EV Now on longer trips and after 40 miles (approximately when the battery is drained) it automatically converts to regular hybrid mode. That way I use up the electric first as I really don’t see the point in saving it for later. Other modes can let you save it for later.

So in these scenarios I get 999.9 mpg in EV Now on short trips and longer trips I start out at 999.9 and it rapidly goes down to 50ish as my trip surpasses 40 miles and gets longer and longer. I assume it eventually matches what mpg the hybrid gets.

EV Now locks you into only using the electric motor and if you absolutely floor the pedal that is the only time the gas engine will start.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape PHEV SE
8 Posts
I have been getting between 34 and 38 miles on EV only mode. If you take care and don’t accelerate to fast and get 100% on the breaking. I came from a Cmax so I was already used to all of that.

You can floor it and get less but I have been taking it easy on the brand new car. You can also put it in sport mode and the gas engine will run nonstop and use the electric to get the maxed combined hp.

It comes with a 120v cable ( any regular wall outlet) and from 50% drained to 100 it’s taking about 6 hours, from 0 to 100 looks like 15 hours but I have only done that a few times.

When you park from a drive it estimates the time to charge on the cluster at 120 and 240v. 240 is estimated at third to a fourth of the time. So I’m already looking to upgrade and put a 240v outlet in my garage.

I see from Mustang Mach E forums that those cars come with a cord that can be plugged into 120 or 240 but I would have to buy a new cord (I will probably go 3rd party) if I upgraded to 240.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Currently in a C-Max energi myself, I usually try to only use EV Now for speeds under 50mph, anything over I switch to EV Later, when temps are right, a car rated at 19 miles electric only will see up to 26 miles, I have gotten as high 33 miles, but they rapidly drop when going back to EV only

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,833 Posts
Not sure what everyone is taking about. The OP had a specific question regarding the PHEV Escape. The thread went off topic. Even though the OP has never came back to this forum since he started this thread. So he obviously doesn’t want to know the answers to his question.

BTW, if someone wants to start a thread comparing the CMAX with the PHEV Escape, they are more than welcome to do so. I wanted this particular thread to be specifically about the PHEV Escape. There could be differences between the two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that with speeds over 50 MPH, using ICE mode pays off. Anything under that, I'm always in EV Now mode. Like others have mentioned, I don't see the point of saving.

I am getting anywhere from 33 to 42 miles on a single charge. Experimenting with different charging hours to see if that can help that number in any way. Would love to know why it differs so wildly!

Last week I stayed in EV now mode for a nearly 2 hour commute to work! About 39 miles. Had heat on, wheel heat on and EV podcasts running the whole time!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree that with speeds over 50 MPH, using ICE mode pays off. Anything under that, I'm always in EV Now mode. Like others have mentioned, I don't see the point of saving.

I am getting anywhere from 33 to 42 miles on a single charge. Experimenting with different charging hours to see if that can help that number in any way. Would love to know why it differs so wildly!

Last week I stayed in EV now mode for a nearly 2 hour commute to work! About 39 miles. Had heat on, wheel heat on and EV podcasts running the whole time!
Try defeating the Hill Assist feature (the center screen, right side, shows a small vehicle angled downhill, when active). After I did that the ICE hasn't come on since, when in EV Now mode. I do live on a hill.

·
Registered
356 Posts

That won't make a difference, but changing the way you drive will. Making a game out of driving to get the best range will improve your range. Driving on the FWY will make it harder to extend your range without hypermiling. I think owners of CMAX/FFH like myself have been trained how to get good MPG's and that carries over to FEHP in getting the best range. I'm averaging 47-49 miles with a few charges 50-52 miles. One important note is you lose 1 mpg or 1 mile range for each 10*F drop from 80*F. To give an idea what is possible to do I just got back from a trip from Newnan, GA to Mooresville, NC and back averaging 54 MPG without refilling on I-85/I-77. I got 669 miles on that tank and 31 miles EV after running out of gas for a total of 700 miles.

Paul

·
Registered
2021 escape phev titanium
6 Posts
That won't make a difference, but changing the way you drive will. Making a game out of driving to get the best range will improve your range. Driving on the FWY will make it harder to extend your range without hypermiling. I think owners of CMAX/FFH like myself have been trained how to get good MPG's and that carries over to FEHP in getting the best range. I'm averaging 47-49 miles with a few charges 50-52 miles. One important note is you lose 1 mpg or 1 mile range for each 10*F drop from 80*F. To give an idea what is possible to do I just got back from a trip from Newnan, GA to Mooresville, NC and back averaging 54 MPG without refilling on I-85/I-77. I got 669 miles on that tank and 31 miles EV after running out of gas for a total of 700 miles.

Paul
Wow 700 miles is awesome. Did you use any AC/ Heat ?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts