2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I have found is that the indicated "MPG" cannot be taken as a raw data point. You have to calculate it yourself based on known variables. You might have an "indicated" 115 MPG, but that does not take into account actual E miles and ICE miles, or cost per gallon vs cost per WH.

I have been driving a 2021 PHEV Titanium back and forth to work for the last 4 weeks. My commute is just over 32 miles one way (64.5 miles round trip if no side trips, normally any side trips are on the way home) of mixed desert two lane and light city driving. About 7 miles of it is city, sub 45 MPH, driving with a few intersections and stops, and the rest is 55+ MPH roads with some small hills (a bit over 1400 feet elevation change, twice each direction, across the drive). Not optimal EV or Hybrid conditions. I work 4 days a week (when no OT that week) so my average week is about 275 miles, with 4 complete charges if I use EV mode. Going to work the trip is a little more uphill than coming home.

Because of the driving conditions, mostly highway and hills, I did not expect stellar EV or Hybrid performance, but I figured as long as it roughly hit its EPA marks (38 MPG Highway) or a little better I would be happy. It has done much better than that.

Each of the last 4 weeks I have tried different driving conditions. One week I did pure Hybrid, no plug in charging at all, and driving "normal", no hyper-miling. One week it was start out on EV and let it go to Hybrid when it wanted to (ended up being pure EV on the way to work, and Hybrid on the way home). One week was Hybrid on the way to work and EV on the way home. The last week was this same mode, Hybrid on the way to work and EV for the trip home, but trying to hyper-mile.

I was pleased with the pure Hybrid mode of operation. In 289 miles I used 6.8 gallons, getting about 42.5 MPG. Keeping in mind most of my driving is highway'esc that is better than I anticipated based on the EPA ratings.

The EV mode morning / hybrid mode afternoon appeared to get roughly the same MPG in Hybrid mode, but I was only in Hybrid mode for about half the mileage. That week I ended up getting on average 31 miles per charge and driving about 33 miles per day in Hybrid mode. That week I drove 282 miles, roughly 124 miles of it on pure EV and 158 in Hybrid mode. I used 3.6 gallons of gas, or getting roughly 43.9 MPG. Roughly 64 kWh of charge (assuming 16 kWh per complete charge from 0) and 3.6 gallons to go 282 miles.

But I noticed that I was not getting optimal range per charge. The mornings were quite cool, and the regenerative braking was not as efficient. And the ICE motor turned on sometimes, even though I had EV mode selected, probably because I was running the heater / defroster.

So the next week was Hybrid mode to work, 32.3 miles, and EV mode home. This worked much better, I assume because the EV efficiency was better in the afternoon and the more down-hill trip on the way home. I did 274 miles that week, with 129.2 of that being Hybrid and 145 being EV mode. I was getting home every day with 0 to 5 miles left on the EV charge and zero miles on ICE, meaning I was getting in excess of 36 miles per charge. Further, I used 2.9 gallons of gas that week, meaning I was getting around 44.5 MPG in Hybrid mode. Or put another way, that week I used 2.9 gallons of gas and something less than 64 kWH, probably about 58 kWh, of charge to go 274 miles.

The next week I did the same thing (Hybrid mode to work, EV home), but trying to get the best possible mileage. Soft starts, 100% recharge braking, doing only the posted speed limit instead of my normal PSL+5 to 10 when outside the city, etc. That week I did 277 miles, 129.2 in Hybrid mode and the rest in pure EV. Every day I got home with charge left, from 2 to 5 miles. I used 2.8 gallons of gas that week, making about 46 MPG in Hybrid mode. I apparently used significantly less than 64 kWh of charge (based on not being at 0 to start each charge). So roughly 2.8 gallons of gas and (roughly) 56 kWh of charge to go 277 miles.

T!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm thinking for the best MPG's I would want to have 0 charge when I get home, EV is more efficient/lower cost than gas for what gas is going for. In EV Mode using the heater kills your gas range and speeding makes a noticeable difference too. Blocking off your front grills will improve your mpg's by at least 2 mpg/VE range. I would EV it to work and EV it home, when the ICE starts it will be warmer than in the morning and take less time for the ICE to warm up. I would cover up the grills like I did to improve range.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me, I'm looking to keep the vehicle on EV as much as possible. 90% of the time, we're using it for short trips around home - 3 or 4 trips of 5-10 miles each - market, school, etc.

To confirm, the recommendation is to turn off "Grade Assist", not "Hill Start Assist", correct? That could certainly explain why ICE has been turning on when I'm coasting downhill, even with plenty of charge and the climate off.

Does driving in "L" help with regen (aka psuedo one-pedal driving) or will it just encourage the ICE to come on, similar to Grade Assist?

I've had my 2021 PHEV for a little over a month now...238 EV miles out of 276 total, with most of the ICE being at the start of my drive, with climate off, driving slowly, with moderate weather. Because it was downhill, I just figured it was breaking in the engine, making sure I use some gas once in a while, etc. - never thought to look for a "feature", but that's why I came to this forum in the first place. :)

I'm hoping that with the Escape PHEV, using EV Now with Eco and Grade Assist OFF, I'll only see ICE with a depleted battery or fast acceleration (again, should be rare); thermal management should keep the battery from overheating, right?

The next thing I'm going to play around with is not charging 100% and see how much I get back from regen going down my hill (2 miles and about 210 feet of elevation). Does anyone know if I start at 100% charge if the regen is just wasted or if it goes into the "reserve"?

Experience-wise, I'm coming off a '14 C-Max Energi (with a '17 Focus Electric and '19 & '22 Bolt in between), so driving habits are already "EV ready".

With the C-Max in EV Now, the ICE would only come on in three situations: depleted battery, high battery temps (when outside is 100F+) or fast acceleration (learned to avoid that is most cases).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Defeating/turning off "Grade Assist" has made all the difference for my Escape PHEV. Now the ICE never comes on in EV Now...unless I "force" it by accelerating hard...which I did to just test it. Don't know if Regen is wasted with a 100% start, but on my vehicle 100% drops almost immediately after getting underway. So maybe not wasted? FYI, I have a Mach-E, and have read on its Forum that the Regen won't add anything if the battery is charged to 100%.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For me, I'm looking to keep the vehicle on EV as much as possible. 90% of the time, we're using it for short trips around home - 3 or 4 trips of 5-10 miles each - market, school, etc.

To confirm, the recommendation is to turn off "Grade Assist", not "Hill Start Assist", correct? That could certainly explain why ICE has been turning on when I'm coasting downhill, even with plenty of charge and the climate off.

Does driving in "L" help with regen (aka psuedo one-pedal driving) or will it just encourage the ICE to come on, similar to Grade Assist?

I've had my 2021 PHEV for a little over a month now...238 EV miles out of 276 total, with most of the ICE being at the start of my drive, with climate off, driving slowly, with moderate weather. Because it was downhill, I just figured it was breaking in the engine, making sure I use some gas once in a while, etc. - never thought to look for a "feature", but that's why I came to this forum in the first place. :)

I'm hoping that with the Escape PHEV, using EV Now with Eco and Grade Assist OFF, I'll only see ICE with a depleted battery or fast acceleration (again, should be rare); thermal management should keep the battery from overheating, right? That's what I'm seeing.

The next thing I'm going to play around with is not charging 100% and see how much I get back from regen going down my hill (2 miles and about 210 feet of elevation). Does anyone know if I start at 100% charge if the regen is just wasted or if it goes into the "reserve"? It will be interesting to see what you find out.

Experience-wise, I'm coming off a '14 C-Max Energi (with a '17 Focus Electric and '19 & '22 Bolt in between), so driving habits are already "EV ready".

With the C-Max in EV Now, the ICE would only come on in three situations: depleted battery, high battery temps (when outside is 100F+) or fast acceleration (learned to avoid that is most cases).
To me it looks like it won't allow the HVB to get charged above the 91.4% SOC charge measured with ScanGaugeII so it is a good Idea to use EV to lower the SOC. On the longest hill I've gone down I've only gain 2% SOG. I'm thinking on real long down hills you might gain 5%. The HVB is better than 60% bigger than Energi so SOC doesn't change that much.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Ford people read these I hope. I traded a 2018 prius prime for my 2021 escape PHEV. First thing I did was put it in EV NOW and ECO mode. Driving local with 33 miles of range and the ice fired up! After it happened a couple more times I noticed only while on down hill. Nothing in the manual but I tried turning off Grade Assist. As you all know that solved the issue. I do not understand why the ECU is programmed this way. I would like to use the regen on downhills so why turn on the ice where I chose ev now eco mode and have plenty of range left. Seem pretty straight forward to me.
If GA on and Ice off and SOC < 90 just regen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To me it looks like it won't allow the HVB to get charged above the 91.4% SOC charge measured with ScanGaugeII so it is a good Idea to use EV to lower the SOC. On the longest hill I've gone down I've only gain 2% SOG. I'm thinking on real long down hills you might gain 5%. The HVB is better than 60% bigger than Energi so SOC doesn't change that much.

Paul
Thanks.

I didn't charge at all last night, so I had "space" of about 5 miles from my max range, and I can confirm with my one data point that I didn't see the range meter move much in one direction or the other. Since I can only adjust the max charge target in 5% increments, I'm never going to get my EV range back from my downhill if I don't charge to 100%.

Good news is that turning of Grade Assist got me my first 100% EV trip since I got the vehicle.

Also, I tried using L last night, with Grade Assist off, and it did increase the amount of regen, but also slowed the car so much that I had to use the accelerator to keep going and then the ICE kicked in immediately; even after going back to D, ICE stayed on until I got to the bottom of the hill, about a mile later.

I agree with @TonyDD that an extra EV mode or two would be nice to be able to have a more aggressive regen without ICE.

So, to summarize my "max EV" settings so far:
  • Just charge 100% for max EV range (my hill's not long enough or steep enough to give me the regen I need to make up for any "space" I could leave; better to waste the regen, if there is any, than to lose the range)
  • Grade Assist off
  • Do NOT use L for "one pedal driving" / greater regen - will trigger ICE similar to Grade Assist
  • Eco Mode - didn't seem to hurt but hard to tell the difference
  • climate off (unless I need it, prioritize seat warming before cabin warming)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been wondering... how much EV power do you get before ICE kicks in?
I'm not really sure.

Except for my short experiment in L, I haven't run into a circumstance yet where I was in EV mode with range and the ICE kicked in due to acceleration / power, even while merging onto the freeway or going 45+ mph uphill with three people in the car - don't know the number or position in the power meter, but it was higher than I expected I'd get. In L, I barely touched the accelerator pedal before ICE kicked in.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
My Escape Hybrid is limited to 35kW EV (if I floor it, 20kW otherwise) and 35kW regen braking. I conclude that DC-AC-DC inverter capacity is responsible for the 35kW limit. The charging motor can supply a lot more current, but it's already AC, so it bypasses the inverter.

Your 70kW limit implies twice the inverter capacity, consistent with the need to charge fast when plugged in, as well as get moving. Wishing the Escape had EV+...

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
49 Posts
That's a thing ?

i use ACC almost all the time when cruising on HWY and the ICE never kicks in.

Also, my ICe never kicks in when i accelerate hard (pedal to the floor).
Mine always kicks in even with a full battery. BUT I did notice that it only does it when it needs to slow down when following another vehicle.

I guess you are not following traffic in your case ?

I never tried flooring it yet. :)

Do you have it set for EV Now? That should do it. If I floor it in EV Now the ICE will come on.

Paul
Yes always in EV Now and I have Grade Assist off. Also, I always put it in Eco Mode.

This is widely reported all over the Internet that the Escape PHEV's ICE comes on when using the Adaptive Cruise. I am really surprised that not everyone is having the same experience.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
Mine always kicks in even with a full battery. BUT I did notice that it only does it when it needs to slow down when following another vehicle.

I guess you are not following traffic in your case ?

I never tried flooring it yet. :)
Actually, i do follow traffic with the adaptative CC only when there is a 2-3 km/h difference, more than that and i pass the slow poke!

i've never experienced that behavior using the CC before.

Maybe it's the grade assist ? mine is off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually, i do follow traffic with the adaptative CC only when there is a 2-3 km/h difference, more than that and i pass the slow poke!

i've never experienced that behavior using the CC before.

Maybe it's the grade assist ? mine is off.
Yeah grade assist is off. It could be a question of how hard it needs to break or how depleted the battery is before you engage the cruise if it's too full to use regen. Do you have time to deplete the battery before using cruise? I am only 500 meters from the highway entrance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So eco mode would end up being less eco while using cruise. :)

That did not cross my mind, but I'll certainly add this to my things to test.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts