2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
Yeah grade assist is off. It could be a question of how hard it needs to break or how depleted the battery is before you engage the cruise if it's too full to use regen. Do you have time to deplete the battery before using cruise? I am only 500 meters from the highway entrance.
Yesterday i used the CC with only 5 EV KM left and not once it went on ICE.
I had uphills and downhills.

maybe the ICE kicks in when you are way below the set speed ?? with a harsh kickdown...🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
49 Posts
Yesterday i used the CC with only 5 EV KM left and not once it went on ICE.
I had uphills and downhills.

maybe the ICE kicks in when you are way below the set speed ?? with a harsh kickdown...🤷‍♂️
My theory is that it would turn on when the battery is near 100% because it cannot regen to slow down.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
Maybe it's the ECO Mode, I don't like using it, also if the HVB is full it will use ICE to slow down the car like an ICE car when you let off the gas peddle. ECO Mode is for those who can't control they're right foot. :)

Paul
that's interesting...

i was a good believer of ECO mode until i saw it took more power to accelerate than the NORMAL mode.
if the road is flat, use it, if it's uphill you're gonna end up wasting more energy than NORMAL.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
The message when it happens is: "Engine Enabled for System Performance".

Maybe I could weirdly save on gas by charging to 90% only.
that's the difference between our Volt and the Escape PHEV.
The Volt is plain and simple, the ICE only kicks in if the temperature is below -11C, ERDTT or there is a malfunction somewhere lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Volt is plain and simple, the ICE only kicks in if the temperature is below -11C, ERDTT or there is a malfunction somewhere lol
Yeah it was the same with my Prius Prime 2017. But I had been wanting an SUV for the past 20 years! ;)

It's all just software though, so Ford could fix all that up if they wanted to. With CEO Jim asking his employees to emulate Tesla, maybe it will move faster in that area. 🤞

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
23 Posts
Yes, the Volt has more powerful electric motors that can handle full acceleration without needing the engine to run.
The Volt also has a greater unusable protective battery buffer of 40% (20% less than full as a maximum and 20% more than depleted as a minimum).
This compares to 25% for my Escape PHEV (10% less than full as a maximum and 15% more than depleted as a minimum).

I believe the default Escape full charge level of 13 kWh (10% less than full) out of 14.4 kWh is somewhat aggressive for long term battery life.

I set the charge level to 95% on the charging menu of my Escape to effectively charge the 14.4 kWh battery to approximately 85% of its maximum charge (~ 12.4 kWh) instead of the default 90% (~13kWh). This will help the battery degrade in usable capacity a bit slower over time. I loose 2 miles of electric-only range with this 5% lower maximum charge level setting.

My 2013 Volt that I just sold still had 10 kWh of useable charge available after 8 years, so the Li-ion battery life was great with little degradation. The generous 40% buffer was one of the longevity factors.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The message when it happens is: "Engine Enabled for System Performance".

Maybe I could weirdly save on gas by charging to 90% only.
That might make your HVB last longer, but the FEHP is coolant cooled which helps to make it last longer. According to ScanGaugeII the ICE will kick on at 17%, but in Normal Mode I've got down to 14% actual and 91.6% actual max. That works out to about 26% unused, but another 3% down for Hybrid Mode. Electricity is cheaper than gas and you are losing more like 4 miles at 90%.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
That might make your HVB last longer, but the FEHP is coolant cooled which helps to make it last longer. According to ScanGaugeII the ICE will kick on at 17%, but in Normal Mode I've got down to 14% actual and 91.6% actual max. That works out to about 26% unused, but another 3% down for Hybrid Mode. Electricity is cheaper than gas and you are losing more like 4 miles at 90%.

Paul
My most frequent use cases are short trips of less than 30 Km (18 miles) and I use the Cruise a lot on those short trips. So at 90% if the ICE never turns on then I would save because all my trips would be 100% EV, which they are not right now since the ICE is always being used because of the Cruise even if I would have had plenty of EV range.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You must have pretty steep hills for the ICE to turn on.

Paul
No it's pretty flat out here. Especially where I use the Cruise. And since I have Grade Assit off it would not use the ICE anyway to slow down. The only times it turns on is when it needs to slow down for traffic while following cars on Adaptive Cruise.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
23 Posts
What is the difference in speed between your vehicle on cruise control and the slower traffic around you that starts your engine?

If you are traveling substantially faster than surrounding vehicles, braking and acceleration will become more abrupt with adaptive cruise.

I find that adaptive crude control works best and the engine never starts when all traffic is moving within a few mph of each other.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that adaptive [cruise] control works best and the engine never starts when all traffic is moving within a few mph of each other.
Yes that is what I observed as well.

What is the difference in speed between your vehicle on cruise control and the slower traffic around you that starts your engine?

If you are traveling substantially faster than surrounding vehicles, braking and acceleration will become more abrupt with adaptive cruise.
Speed limit is 100 Km/h and I have the Intelligent Cruise set at +10 Km/h, so my max speed is 110 Km/h. Most cars will be travelling in between 100 Km/h and 120 Km/h. Because this is a on a highway that passes right through my city (Trois-Rivières) in the middle and apart from local traffic, it's pretty much people going from Montreal to Quebec City and vice-versa. But it's 3 lanes and people are braking for no reasons it seems sometimes. So that starts the engine pretty much every time since this happens at least once on a drive.

I also use it on city streets 50 limit with my speed set to 60 and let the car follow traffic. But here as well people can slow down for many reasons.

Anyway, I'll see if charging to only 90% fixes this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm thinking you may need to give the SOC down to 75% to keep the ICE from coming on. Not using the Adaptive CC will solve the problem.

Paul
Yeah well I bought this vehicle because of the Adaptive CC. I sold my Tesla Model 3 because I was too fed up with Phantom Braking to the point my wife would no longer let me use CC or Autopilot. Ford's implementation is SO much better. But I don't mind using a tiny bit of gasoline for the pleasure of using a good Adaptive CC. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah well I bought this vehicle because of the Adaptive CC. I sold my Tesla Model 3 because I was too fed up with Phantom Braking to the point my wife would no longer let me use CC or Autopilot. Ford's implementation is SO much better. But I don't mind using a tiny bit of gasoline for the pleasure of using a good Adaptive CC. :)
Actually I think you aren't using any gas and you are using the ICE as a compressor to resist the ICE from turning over. Those sever stops/slow downs are annoying.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually I think you aren't using any gas and you are using the ICE as a compressor to resist the ICE from turning over. Those sever stops/slow downs are annoying.

Paul
You are right. But then it seems to figure that since I am asking for heat anyway it might as well let it run for a while to heat up. Otherwise it would not continue running for minutes after the slow down.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
better than expected today. it was -8C this morning and not once the ICE kicked in. Of course i didn't use the defrost, only the remote start (plugged in on 30A) and then put the heater on front and feet.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts