2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2022 PHEV Escape SEL.
NEC tightened specs on 120V GFI receptacles in 2018.
Both NEW (post 2018, "self testing" GFIs I've tried are tripped when PHEV is being charged, one every 2 days, the other in as few as 6 seconds, sometimes a bit longer.
Tried multiple charge adapter cords with same problem-ground fault is not in cord/charger
Both OLD (pre 2018) non-self-testing GFI's I've tried work fine with the car.
Some public J1772 AC chargers work with car, others trip out.
Scratching head, any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More thoughts:
1. there is no problem charging at 220 through a modern split-phase GFI (square-D Homeline 20A)
2.old radios and tv power supplies had a pair of bypass capacitors from each side (hot and neutral) to chassis ground, usually about 0.1 microfarad; this gave a pseudoground for where there was no ground connector on plug (common on old TVs and radios) but could give a slight tingle when hands caught between chassis and ground. This was common 1940's through 1970s and considered good practice in the old days.
3. Current spec for NEW GFIs requires tripping on 5 milliamp discrepancy between neutral and hot currents. An older spec allowed for 20 milliamps but those GFIs are no longer readily available for home use.
4. a design with a 0.11 microfarad capacitor between hot and ground would give a 5 milliamp current to ground--enough so GFI is supposed to trip. One a bit less might or might not trip.
5. 220 GFIs bring the two phases and neutral through a transformer that is little more than a ferrite loop, they trip if currents on the 3 are unequal which would happen if either phase leaks to ground. On a 220 GFI, equal capacitors between the two phases would result in equal phase currents that would cancel at the transformer, and not trip

Does this thing have old-style bypass caps in the charger that need clipping?

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,750 Posts
Need to remember that the charging module is made to be used across multiple countries\continents which have a wide range of normal residential voltages.
I wouldn't clip anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
skb999, I can't answer to your question, but I pickup my 2022 PHEV next week, and thought it came with a 12amp max 120V-only mobile Level-1 EVSE, but you wrote in your "More Thoughts" poast about charging at 220volts. So, I'm curious what kind of EVSE are you using that causes newer CFCI socket problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I occasionally use the 120V charger at home at a GFI outdoor outlet (usually using 240V though). Every once in a blue moon, usually accompanying rain, the GFI will trip. It did this with our old Volt as well. I wouldn't expect as many trips as you're getting though, so maybe something is wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts