2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a 2020 Escape PHEV and was curious as to how people will be charging theirs at home. I do not have a driveway or garage, however, I am having an electrician install a 220v outlet on the side of my house. Ford gives you a 110v EVSE (what people may call a charging cable) so I am in the market of ordering a 220v EVSE.

Here is one that I may get based on recommendations.

Has anyone else who has or will be getting the PHEV version thought about home charging?

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape PHEV (soon), 2017 Ford Fusion Energi
15 Posts
I have a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi and am waiting for my 2020 Escape Titanium plug in. For the 4 years I have had the Fusion, I have just charged in my driveway or garage using the charger Ford sent with the car. The fusion has a smaller range but charges in about 5 hours or so. I just plug it in overnight. I was planning to do the same with my Escape.

I have watched video reviews of PHEVs where they say people after a while don't bother to plug it in anymore. Not me! If I wake up and realize I for some reason didn't plug it in, it wrecks my whole day! Driving in EV is the best!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
How many amps will the car draw at 220?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We installed a Level 2 charger from Clipper Creek when we bought our C-Max Energi in 2016. It has been entirely trouble-free and Clipper Creek seems like a solid company, for what that's worth.

The smaller the battery the less the speed difference between 110V and 220V matters, and if you're primarily charging overnight it really won't make a difference even on the Escape. However, at least on the C-Max, having a Level 2 connection also made pre-cooling or pre-heating the car much simpler using the "Go Times" feature—I believe those systems draw too much current for Level 1. I'm not sure exactly what kinds of preconditioning the Escape offers—I hope it's at least as good as the C-Max's somewhat clunky system—but that would be one reason to go the extra step.

We also figured back in 2016 that we'd never again buy a car that doesn't plug in, so we might as well have a good semi-permanent solution installed. (We ran a line rated for 50A, even though our charger is only 16A, to further future-proof the setup.)

Now I'm eagerly / anxiously trying to figure out when the Escape PHEV will actually start arriving in our area . . . we want to move to it as soon as we can. I'm considering placing an order but I wouldn't mind having the negotiating leverage on price once dealers actually have them on the lot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We installed a Level 2 charger from Clipper Creek when we bought our C-Max Energi in 2016. It has been entirely trouble-free and Clipper Creek seems like a solid company, for what that's worth.

The smaller the battery the less the speed difference between 110V and 220V matters, and if you're primarily charging overnight it really won't make a difference even on the Escape. However, at least on the C-Max, having a Level 2 connection also made pre-cooling or pre-heating the car much simpler using the "Go Times" feature—I believe those systems draw too much current for Level 1. I'm not sure exactly what kinds of preconditioning the Escape offers—I hope it's at least as good as the C-Max's somewhat clunky system—but that would be one reason to go the extra step.

We also figured back in 2016 that we'd never again buy a car that doesn't plug in, so we might as well have a good semi-permanent solution installed. (We ran a line rated for 50A, even though our charger is only 16A, to further future-proof the setup.)

Now I'm eagerly / anxiously trying to figure out when the Escape PHEV will actually start arriving in our area . . . we want to move to it as soon as we can. I'm considering placing an order but I wouldn't mind having the negotiating leverage on price once dealers actually have them on the lot.
I am definitely looking for level 2 for the home charging. Between the faster charge time and allowing for pre-heating/cooling, to me, it's worth the expense of adding the 220v line.

·
Registered
2016 Ford CMax Energi
50 Posts
I have ordered a 2020 Escape PHEV and was curious as to how people will be charging theirs at home. I do not have a driveway or garage, however, I am having an electrician install a 220v outlet on the side of my house. Ford gives you a 110v EVSE (what people may call a charging cable) so I am in the market of ordering a 220v EVSE.

Has anyone else who has or will be getting the PHEV version thought about home charging?
I use the following cable on my 2016 Ford CMax Energi and it works great. I hope it will also work on my 2020 Escape PHEV when I receive it. AeroVironment TurboCord 240V Portable EV Charger 16 AMPS LEVEL 2 J1772 | eBay

·
Registered
83 Posts
The C-Max shows estimated 2.5 hours on 220v, I don't know if that is accurate, I was able to charge at work (EV Ford Dealership), and it only took less than 1.5 hours to fully charge, I have checked the workshop manual for both the C-Max and the escape PHEV, both show maximum 80 amp input, what it doesn't specify is how it gets that rating

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello, out of curiosity- do you have an estimate on how much $ of electricity the charging uses. I just got a regular Escape (would have gotten a hybrid had it been available in my specs).
It seems concerning to me to have to worry about finding a place to charge, the extra time required etc.
I realize next time around I would need to maybe make a change, but prefer regular or hybrid for now

·
Registered
83 Posts
With the $ part of things, your app that is connected to your vehicle, my Ford mobile, or fordpass, will show you the amount of kilowatt charge, take that amount and multiply by your electricity rates, (mine is $.065/Kw), that will give you the price of charging at home, that being said, my charging doesn't even cost me $.60 per charge, my wife and I can charge at work for free 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have had various Ford hybrids and 4 Ford Focus Electric vehicles. The charger options change all the time. I recommend going to YouTube and searching on "Tom Moloughney ". He tests lots of chargers and makes reasonable videos. My recommendation based on Tom's testing would be the Grizzl-E, but your needs may vary.

(I currently have a Schneider Electric box we got when we got our original 2012 Ford Focus. It has done fine, but is out of date.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a 220v outlet in my garage last week. Ordered the Charge Point charger from Amazon $699. I LOVE the app and tracking feature of Charge Point. Tracking energy usage is really beneficial for all of us! Both the Ford app and the Charge Point app give you good info but with the quick charge capability of the Charge Point, I really like my options on the weekend or when I make multiple trips in the evening after work.

Also, the City of Tacoma Public Utility offers a $400 rebate for the purchase of a qualifying charger! Just sent my completion photos to them last night!

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
58 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
59 Posts
I installed a 220v outlet in my garage last week. Ordered the Charge Point charger from Amazon $699. I LOVE the app and tracking feature of Charge Point. Tracking energy usage is really beneficial for all of us! Both the Ford app and the Charge Point app give you good info but with the quick charge capability of the Charge Point, I really like my options on the weekend or when I make multiple trips in the evening after work.

Also, the City of Tacoma Public Utility offers a $400 rebate for the purchase of a qualifying charger! Just sent my completion photos to them last night!
Did you install the 220v yourself? Is it a NEMA 14-50 outlet? I've geen trying to get quotes the last week or so. So far the cheapest I got was a $1150 for a Nema 14-50, a 60 Amp 2 pole breaker and a 50 foot Alumium cable run (to the garage from the breaker). I've also gotten quotes close to 2k.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts