2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
58 Posts
So the car cannot draw more than 15A ??
That's almost impossible, usually a 110V (LSVE1) can draw 12A, i doubt that a LSVE2 can only draw 4 more amps...
It just depends on the voltage no?

For Level 2 it's 3300W / 240V = 13.75 amps or 3300W / 220V = 15 amps.

On level 1 it maxes out to 12A x 120V = 1440W or 12A x 110V = 1320W.

BUT that is not the power that actually gets into the vehicle because on efficiency it is not 1 on 1. Level 1 wastes more electricity. It is hardly ever more than 80% efficient, while Level 2 can reach 95% efficiency.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
47 Posts
It just depends on the voltage no?

For Level 2 it's 3300W / 240V = 13.75 amps or 3300W / 220V = 15 amps.

On level 1 it maxes out to 12A x 120V = 1440W or 12A x 110V = 1320W.

BUT that is not the power that actually gets into the vehicle because on efficiency it is not 1 on 1. Level 1 wastes more electricity. It is hardly ever more than 80% efficient, while Level 2 can reach 95% efficiency.
I ain't no electrician, but why install a 40A breaker for LSVE2 if the car cannot draw more than 15A ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ain't no electrician, but why install a 40A breaker for LSVE2 if the car cannot draw more than 15A ?
Probably to be ready for when you exchange the PHEV for a fully electric BEV (battery electric vehicle).

I did the reverse. :) My previous vehicle was a Tesla Model 3 SR+ using about 32A from the 240V. Long range versions can draw 48A.

I had a 60A circuit installed just to be future proof.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
266 Posts
You need it install a 6-20r outlet on a dedicated 240v/20a breaker and get a charger like this:

I just wired up the plug and installed this charger for a recently acquired 2019 Fusion energi PHEV

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
266 Posts
Actually 240v charging is more efficient and can also power the heater when you set departure times.

Reactions: Valtor

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the 2022 Escape PHEV I ordered (and will take delivery sometime in April) - I just installed a chargepoint flex charger (settable from 16A - 60 A) purchased from Amazon for $699. Electrician labor was $400 to put my 60 amp breaker ($30 @ Lowes) into my circuit breaker box, run my 50' foot 6/3 metal shielded wire ($300 @ Home depot) and hard wire both ends, and mount the charger to the wall. + tax-all told less than $1,500 before fed tax credit and state & local incentives.
Question: Since all vehicles limit the maximum amperage to what it can accept - why not just set the charger to 48Amps and if I even need to charge a different car with higher amperage acceptance rates - I'm covered. Comments?

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the 2022 Escape PHEV I ordered (and will take delivery sometime in February) - I just installed a chargepoint flex charger (settable from 16A - 60 A) purchased from Amazon for $699. Electrician labor was $400 to put my 60 amp breaker ($30 @ Lowes) into my circuit breaker box, run my 50' foot 6/3 metal shielded wire ($300 @ Home depot) and hard wire both ends, and mount the charger to the wall. + tax-all told less than $1,500 before fed tax credit and state & local incentives. Since all vehicles limit the maximum amperage to what it can accept - why not just set the charger to 48Amps and if I even need to charge a different car with higher amperage acceptance rates - I'm covered. Comments?
This is exactly what I did. Really like the Chargepoint and its App. My cost was almost the same using a "good" electrical company here in DFW. I have a 2021 EscapeTitanium PHEV and a 2021 Mach-E ER AWD. The charger is mounted in-between the 2 on the wall, front of garage. I extend the cord and keep it draped for the Escape and move it accordingly for the occasional Mach-E charge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I had to pass wire for some length I would even go with 100A. Some EVs are already able to charge at 19-21 Kw. So in ten years that might very well be common.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My understanding is that 220/100 Amps would require # 3 wire. And the breaker would need to be rated at 125% of the 100 Amp draw - even if your panel's capacity could accommodate a 100A, this is a very expensive proposition. I think that a 60 amp breaker with a # 6 wire, and the charger set to 48 Amps - is future proofed for quite some time - especially if the Escape PHEV has a maximum capacity of 16A.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,076 Posts
Can you send me that link to the shop manual please?
This is copyright material. He can’t send you a link to it. You can always purchase 72 hour access for quite cheap. Here is a thread with information on how to get this

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,076 Posts
I wanted to remind everyone that you can not post here copyright documents. You also can not post that you will provide said documents, or request these documents. The cost of the shop manual is quite low, for temporary access to it. Once you have temporary access, you can print whatever you want from it.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
59 Posts
If it helps anyone at all, I just scheduled an Electrician to install a 240V outlet for me. It's about a 45 foot run from my breaker (in my basement) to the end of garage. They are putting in a 50 Amp circuit running #6 Copper Cable. They are charging me $925 (I had 3 other estimates, all about $1200 and they all were going to use Aluminum cable.

Picked up this charger to go with it - https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Home-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07WXZDHGV? It was probably the most expensive but my office uses Chargepoint chargers too, so I figure 1 less App I need to deal with.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts