2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
47 Posts
If it helps anyone at all, I just scheduled an Electrician to install a 240V outlet for me. It's about a 45 foot run from my breaker (in my basement) to the end of garage. They are putting in a 50 Amp circuit running #6 Copper Cable. They are charging me $925 (I had 3 other estimates, all about $1200 and they all were going to use Aluminum cable.

Picked up this charger to go with it - https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Home-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07WXZDHGV? It was probably the most expensive but my office uses Chargepoint chargers too, so I figure 1 less App I need to deal with.
925$ for 45ft long cables that's fair IMO.
I was quoted 600$CAD to add another charging station at 10ft from my electrical box.
40A cables.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
59 Posts
Got my Chargepoint charger installed today. Paid $699 for the charger (amazon) and $925 for the outlet install. (45 foot run through 2 rooms and into the garage with a 50amp breaker using copper wire. Probably a little more then I wanted to pay total but at least I'm future proof. The Chargepoint charger is way overkill for the Escape, but hopefully down the road I'll own a Mustang Mach-E or a full EV.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Font Auto part Electric blue Vehicle Display device

Font Auto part Display device Electric blue Gadget

For those charging on 110v, I recommend doing to remote starts in the morning to warm up your car to warm up your battery this is the result after mine on my C-Max, I said my first go time one hour before my second one.

The C-Max nominal range is 19

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, out of curiosity- do you have an estimate on how much $ of electricity the charging uses. I just got a regular Escape (would have gotten a hybrid had it been available in my specs).
It seems concerning to me to have to worry about finding a place to charge, the extra time required etc.
I realize next time around I would need to maybe make a change, but prefer regular or hybrid for now

I charge for free at work (I work for Ford and the plant has Level 2 chargers in the lot) most of the time. I use 3.3 Kwh or energy to get home, and my utility rate is 11 cents a Kwh, so it would cost me 36 cents to charge it at home when I do. But, I have a solar roof so most of the year, electricity is free to me. I have a Juicebox 40 Amp Level 2 charger which I piad $700 for and $1000 more for an electrician to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my Chargepoint charger installed today. Paid $699 for the charger (amazon) and $925 for the outlet install. (45 foot run through 2 rooms and into the garage with a 50amp breaker using copper wire. Probably a little more then I wanted to pay total but at least I'm future proof. The Chargepoint charger is way overkill for the Escape, but hopefully down the road I'll own a Mustang Mach-E or a full EV.
I suggest you check if there are any rebates available to you. My electricity provider offered a rebate as an offset for the charger and installation costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you install the 220v yourself? Is it a NEMA 14-50 outlet? I've geen trying to get quotes the last week or so. So far the cheapest I got was a $1150 for a Nema 14-50, a 60 Amp 2 pole breaker and a 50 foot Alumium cable run (to the garage from the breaker). I've also gotten quotes close to 2k.
Many variables on cost to install a level 2 charging system. My electrical service was so old it cost a bunch to install. Living in California does not help. Over regulated over priced, etc. "but the weather is great here". I paid $ 2,400.00. So your quote seems about right.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
For the 2022 Escape PHEV I ordered (and will take delivery sometime in April) - I just installed a chargepoint flex charger (settable from 16A - 60 A) purchased from Amazon for $699. Electrician labor was $400 to put my 60 amp breaker ($30 @ Lowes) into my circuit breaker box, run my 50' foot 6/3 metal shielded wire ($300 @ Home depot) and hard wire both ends, and mount the charger to the wall. + tax-all told less than $1,500 before fed tax credit and state & local incentives.
Question: Since all vehicles limit the maximum amperage to what it can accept - why not just set the charger to 48Amps and if I even need to charge a different car with higher amperage acceptance rates - I'm covered. Comments?
what did you set the amps at for charging your PHEV?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts