2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a new PHEV yesterday out of state as we couldn’t find any locally. She got home today, and when we plugged it in to our preexisting, working appropriately EVSEs (both 120V and 240V which charged our BEV and other PHEV the Escape will not charge. The charge indicator lights flash orange 30 seconds which supposedly means charge station fault.

Of course, neither the selling dealer nor the EV department at Ford are open Sunday.

Anyone heard of charging problems for these?

Not at all happy that a dealer that supposedly has done PDI would sell the new car having a problem that will require an immediate return to a dealership service department. Welcome back to Ford.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try a different charger and a different plug

If that doesn't work, please update when concern is corrected
Thanks, I tries the 120V charging cable from our other PHEV (which charged that car without issue), our 240V charger that charged the other PHEV and BEV without issue, and Ford’s provided “convenience cable” 120V. For the 120V cables, I tried different outlets. Nothing charged the vehicle. The Escape recognizes the cable is attached and the charging cables/EVSEs show no faults/errors when attached.

I tried to update Sync both via WiFi and USB and WiFi was too slow to download and USB did not install after 50+ minutes (when Ford’s site says 30-35.).

Hopefully the local dealer’s service center will get it resolved as soon as I can take it and provide a loaner in the meantime. Ford’s online chat advised me to contact the EV department, and after 5 calls, no one would connect me nor explain why they would not connect me even after saying they would.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife bought a new PHEV yesterday out of state as we couldn’t find any locally. She got home today, and when we plugged it in to our preexisting, working appropriately EVSEs (both 120V and 240V which charged our BEV and other PHEV the Escape will not charge. The charge indicator lights flash orange 30 seconds which supposedly means charge station fault.

Of course, neither the selling dealer nor the EV department at Ford are open Sunday.

Anyone heard of charging problems for these?

Not at all happy that a dealer that supposedly has done PDI would sell the new car having a problem that will require an immediate return to a dealership service department. Welcome back to Ford.
Have you tried another outlet . I have been charging my PHEV since June and n 120v with no problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try a different Dealer? Someone that has sold lots of plugin's that has lots of experience.

Paul
I had been in touch with Ford Customer Relations as I got no return call from the local dealer after calls Monday and Tuesday. Somehow, Ford also supposedly spoke to 4 area dealers and the same dealer was the only one to “work with them.” But they didn’t give any sooner appointment—2 weeks until any diagnostic evaluation will happen.

We’ve tried 2 120V outlets and the 240Vat home plus a level 2 charger listed on the Ford app with no success.

Maybe they’ll figure it out before it becomes a lemon. Like the car as long as it gets fixed to work properly, but I have nothing positive to say about the customer service experience thus far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My suggestions would be to make sure someone did not setup a specific charge time like 6:00 AM and hitting the timer button will toggle between timed and un-timed charging. If you start the car and put the car in EV charge mode does the engine kick in and charge the battery? The third thing is at each dealer have at least 2 chargers. One is a DC for the Mach-E and the other is a J connector for the fusion and escape. I would drive over and plug in and see if it charges. If not when you do take it in you know the charger won't charge and you can be sure there is something wrong. When I got my car they had it plugged in as prep for delivery.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had been in touch with Ford Customer Relations as I got no return call from the local dealer after calls Monday and Tuesday. Somehow, Ford also supposedly spoke to 4 area dealers and the same dealer was the only one to “work with them.” But they didn’t give any sooner appointment—2 weeks until any diagnostic evaluation will happen.

We’ve tried 2 120V outlets and the 240Vat home plus a level 2 charger listed on the Ford app with no success.

Maybe they’ll figure it out before it becomes a lemon. Like the car as long as it gets fixed to work properly, but I have nothing positive to say about the customer service experience thus far.
That's unfortune , amazing that they are that busy. Do you have a ScanGaugeII, it would tell you the actual SOC and if anything is happening when you plug it in.

Paul

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
48 Posts
The following thread might be of interests for others having issues with charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts