2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of lease terms and rates are people seeing these days? With the high used car prices now, do you think the residual value will stay high like it is now, or is it better to purchase and plan to replace in a few years? Has anyone been confirmed that if they order a PHEV now, they will get a 2023 or will they still get a 2022?

I've seen a few posts on various forums about people doing a short term lease on an ICE or Hybrid Escape while waiting for their PHEV to arrive. Is anyone familiar with how this works and what the bottom line costs and fees are for doing this? I wonder if I could or should trade in or sell my vehicle now for a high price, do a short term lease, order a PHEV, and come out ahead or at least break even when it comes in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a 2022 Hybrid in January (using Ford 0% financing at the time) and ordered a 2022 PHEV March 3. The Hybrid is a SE, and I want a Titanium. I expect the PHEV to be built in August, maybe sooner or later. The 2022 cannot be ordered any longer, and the 2023 production doesn't start until November 1. However, I read in Ford Authority that the order bank for the '23s is planned to open on September 19th...EXCEPT for the PHEV (no explanation provided about that statement). Only option for a 2022 PHEV is searching for a new one at a dealer somewhere in the U.S. I see some dealers asking as much as $5,000 above MSRP. Used car or trade-in prices will stay high as long as the new car production is as pathetic as it is...true for all brands, not just Ford. I should be able to trade the Hybrid and get what I paid for it. It has 3K miles on it now. All this can change of course...given any major new negative news. Future financing and lease rates totally "unknown" given the Feds continued actions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @TxTom! I traded in my 2007 Ford Freestyle on a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited in January. Even though I don't drive much, after a month I decided the Santa Fe just wasn't for me and I want to get back into a Ford. I test drove a low end 2022 ICE Escape and decided I also want a Titanium PHEV. I like the looks of the 2023 and Sync 4 will be nice for wireless Android Auto. I'm in Texas too, so it would be nice if they add cooled or at least vented front seats. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope I can get close to what I paid for my Santa Fe either trading it in or selling outright.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL Hybrid AWD Rapid Red; 2017 Escape SE 2.0L AWD
28 Posts
. Only option for a 2022 PHEV is searching for a new one at a dealer somewhere in the U.S. I see some dealers asking as much as $5,000 above MSRP.
JimSmith and TxTom

I cannot say for certain, but my local Ford Dealer in Mechanicville, NY ordered 10 PHEVs and 6 show on the website today as delivered and for sale. I believe that many people in this community are conditioned to always buy 4WD (I know my wife is adamant about it) for travel on snowy days and many people cannot afford the SEL and Titanium trim levels. If you are in Ontario or Quebec they are about 200 miles from the border. Your choice if you want to call them.

·
Registered
City car 2019 Kia Niro PHEV, travel car 2022 OB 2.5i
38 Posts
Jeepers peepers, that Mechanicville dealer appears to have cornered the market! How does a Ford dealer in little ol' Mechanicville get 10 PHEVs??? I can't find one within a 100 miles of Seattle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update. I was at the dealership Friday June 17 for a state inspection. I wandered the lot and two Titanium PHEVs and one red SEL PHEV remain. The tech said they put in a large order the first day it opened to dealer stock orders (back in November?). The window sticker seemed to have a print date of March 22, 2022. Remember that New York state, like Washington state and California, follow the same emissions laws. New York state also offers a direct rebate of $500 at the time of purchase (was $1500 back in 2021). Feel free to come to Lake George for a vacation and drive it home to Seattle. Again, as I mentioned, the community may not have the money to support the $41,610 MSRP of the SEL and more for the Titaniums. We do have lots and lots of snow and that may turn off the local inhabitants. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai all offer a 4WD plug in, but not Ford division. The Lincoln at $56K is way to much money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a note about leasing. On June 24th, Ford ended the policy of allowing you to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease for Battery Electric Vehicles (Mustang Mach-e, F-150 Lightning & Ford E-Transit). Worth reading up on the subject if you plan to lease an PHEV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just a note about leasing. On June 24th, Ford ended the policy of allowing you to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease for Battery Electric Vehicles (Mustang Mach-e, F-150 Lightning & Ford E-Transit). Worth reading up on the subject if you plan to lease an PHEV.
So the Escape PHEV is still eligible. According to the articles I read, this only applies to EVs, so it doesn't apply to Escapes or any PHEV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts