2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 3 weeks ago im driving along the hiway and keep hearing this slapping underneath along the passenger side it ends up being the plastic shroud catching the wind on the front area which in the wind keep smacking so went to dealer they found several of the plastic gromits that hold this plastic shround in place had come loose broken off or just came out and where lost somewhere .. the dealer said had to order new plastic hardwares for it so for a week they just took it off and i kept it in the back seat .after a week they got the the hardware in they fixed it all up and so i figured ok thats all fixed.. well only took 2 weeks and same thing happen and had come loose and lost more plastic gromits and it was now rattling along passenger side under rocker panel area.. i took it back in and they said yep did it again .. they say that these plastic nuts bolts plastic gromits that you put in and suppose to snap tightly in are not working very well and they dont stay in the plastic holder... anyway im thinking this sure is a terrible way to secure these shrouds that by the way are on both sides under the rocker panel area and all i think they are for is for just covering that are from slush dirt grime etc.. knock on wood so far the driver side hasnt poped loose yet to do the same thing i told they dealer i sure hope i dont have to deal with this problem every little while... seems like a very bad way to design these things... so has anyone else out there had this same thing happen..thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Is it the entire front fender liner that was loose or just at the bottom? I haven't seen any posts about those coming loose so I don't think it's a common thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine just started making a sound on the drivers side rear. Almost sounds like it is in the lower Pillar, the mud flap in front of tire, or shock/strut. I have noticed when mine happens it is when the body starts to roll, from going around a turn or over a good bump. I am taking mine in next week to see if they can figure it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have same issue on my 17, always slapping during highway driving. Drivers side loose and twisted whatever back into place and pushed up panal, but fear they will loosen again. Dealer will need to remedy when vehicle goes in for snow tire removal. If keeps up after may just remove both.
What I think is that slush and ice during the winter has damaged fasteners. I have side stainless running boards on the Escape and hangers collect ice and slush.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
My drivers side one was dragging on the road. Ford has really screwed up with these things. Putting thin plastic sheets fastened with plastic connectors underneath the vehicle is the brightest idea, IMHO.

When I took mine in for repair I had to do some arguing to have them fix it under warranty. The vehicle only had a few thousand miles on it and the dealer had changed the oil just a week earlier (they say they inspect the vehicle... yeah, right). They removed the panel and it took 2 months for the fasteners to arrive so they could install a new one. I'm gonna get some race ramps this spring so I can inspect the underside myself every once in a while...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Huh - I swear I've been hearing some tapping plastic-y sounding noise on the passenger side of the car while driving on the highway - I bet it's the exact same thing. Can I check it without jacking the car up? Is it easily accessible?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If anyone having the problems could snap some pics and post them, I think that would be a great help to us.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For future ref: if your dealer doesn't have them, most OEM style plastic connectors are available at Pep Boys for a fraction of the price Ford dealers gouge you for.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
For future ref: if your dealer doesn't have them, most OEM style plastic connectors are available at Pep Boys for a fraction of the price Ford dealers gouge you for.
Yes, and I even saw a kit of them at Harbor Freight I believe. It was an organizer full of different sizes. Don't remember the price though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have/had this issue where you hear the plastic shields on the left and right on the undercarriage make noise on the highway. I took it to two dealer and they couldn't find it. They both "test drove" the car without me and didn't find it. I went under the car and tightened all the plastic screws. I went for a highway test drive and seems to have done the trick. I swear some of these dealers are useless.

My wife has a Buick Encore and it doesn't have any plastic shields. I think plastic is a bad idea for the undercarriage, but what do i know?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fix loose underbody panels-2017+ Escape

so about 3 weeks ago im driving along the hiway and keep hearing this slapping underneath along the passenger side it ends up being the plastic shroud catching the wind on the front area which in the wind keep smacking so went to dealer they found several of the plastic gromits that hold this plastic shround in place had come loose broken off or just came out and where lost somewhere .. the dealer said had to order new plastic hardwares for it so for a week they just took it off and i kept it in the back seat .after a week they got the the hardware in they fixed it all up and so i figured ok thats all fixed.. well only took 2 weeks and same thing happen and had come loose and lost more plastic gromits and it was now rattling along passenger side under rocker panel area.. i took it back in and they said yep did it again .. they say that these plastic nuts bolts plastic gromits that you put in and suppose to snap tightly in are not working very well and they dont stay in the plastic holder... anyway im thinking this sure is a terrible way to secure these shrouds that by the way are on both sides under the rocker panel area and all i think they are for is for just covering that are from slush dirt grime etc.. knock on wood so far the driver side hasnt poped loose yet to do the same thing i told they dealer i sure hope i dont have to deal with this problem every little while... seems like a very bad way to design these things... so has anyone else out there had this same thing happen..thanks

I have talked about this before................Most of the nylon thumb nuts are loose from the factory. It is easy to use your thumb and finger to tighten them. I think there are about 10 of them (5 on each shield).

The front edge is secured by PUSH Clips. If they are not secure, just use a larger diameter one. You can use glue if you want. Those push pins are nylon which is much tougher than plastic.

There is a forward facing gap on each shield. I used some suitable thickness weather strip to fill this gap so no road debris or wind will get in there. Secure it with glue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing on my 2017 FE, Dealer said some fasteners worked there way loose and also added 4 more fasteners and two more on licence plate, all under warranty, License plate they said has been found to cause some noise on the front end especially on rougher roads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My experience is that during oil change the "techs" either leave out some fasteners or over torque them so that they strip out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My experience is that during oil change the "techs" either leave out some fasteners or over torque them so that they strip out.
I agree it happens...........However, we are referring to the two long PLASTIC shields that are further back.
They are located in the area below the seating area.,,one on each side. They first appeared on the 2017 Escape.

I believe they are for noise reduction. (road noise, water splash noise?)

The one under the Engine, transmission is a felt material.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have the PART # ???, I've been dealing with this for the past year , had 4 of them replaced six months ago , tired of the stealership and their baloney.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Exactly why I do my own oil changes. I take the bottom shield off and put it on RIGHT w/o stripping the acrews or losing any.
4 T25 torx across the front,
1 7mm hex by the A arms
3 T25 torx across the back.
going to get a pair of Ramps to make it a bit easier, currently use floor jack and jackstands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i agree it happens...........however, we are referring to the two long plastic shields that are further back.
They are located in the area below the seating area.,,one on each side. They first appeared on the 2017 escape.

I believe they are for noise reduction. (road noise, water splash noise?) these are the shields plastic bolts that tighten down on the studs attached to the body looking for the part #
The one under the engine, transmission is a felt material.
I'm looking for the PART # for the plastic fasteners !

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
I'm looking for the PART # for the plastic fasteners !

Did you search the forum, these part numbers are all over the forum. Search for “splash shield fastener”. You might find them that way

·
Registered
66 Posts
On 2018, Ford no longer uses the flat , round, black ,plastic nuts that can be tightened by hand on 2017 Escapes.

They are using TIN NUTs now , that are less likely to loosen off. ......better paint them because they will rust in certain cold areas of the world.

Any competent Ford parts man should be able to find the part number. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this same issue.
I had a crack that ran from the push pin hole to the top edge of the panel. This allowed the panel to pull off the pushpin. I had a strange noise going to work one day and crawled under the vehicle to see what was going on and saw this with my own eyes.

On November 30th, I took my escape in for its State Inspection and emissions test, and got an Oil change.
I reported the issue to the service department while I was there.
The mechanic did some quick fix which I think was just him removing the pushpin, pushing the panel back in place, and re-inserting the push pin.
This fix did not work, so I called the dealer and setup an appointment to get it repaired. They ordered the part and after I called to follow up, I did not receive a call back letting me know the part was in, I was put on the schedule for January 10th.
The work did not take too long. The service advisor came out with a bill for ~$250.
I was shocked as asked why this was not covered under warranty.
The Service Advisor asked me to hold on and went to speak with someone. I am assuming this was the head of Service.
My Service advisor and this second person, named IRA came back. The second person told me something must have hit it and this part never fails. It would not be covered under warranty. I tried to explain to them that I had previously spoken with them about this and referenced the previous fix by their dealership. This is when the second person, got pretty rude with me. Told me this has never happened and wouldn't budge on fixing it under warranty. I went to speak with him a second time and he flat out said
IRA from Garnet Ford of West Chester said:
I don't think you understand, I DON'T CARE
At that point I was furious. Who says that to a customer who is actually trying to be reasonable?
I told them to take the new part off and I was not paying for it or labor. They could put the old part in the back of the scape.

Eventually the Service Advisor convinced IRA to use "Good Will" money to fix this.

Now that I have found this thread and am reading that this was updated on the 2018 models, it's obvious it was a bad design and nothing hit it. It was a part failure and should have been a no questions asked warranty fix.

I hope Ford Corporate reads this forums. I want an apology from Garnet Ford of West Chester PA.

I am sending this Thread to the dealership and I am going to call Ford's Customer Service Relationship Center
the number is
800-392-3673
In case anyone else runs into this same issue.

At the moment, I would have to recommend avoiding Garnet Ford of West Chester, PA.
This was a fairly simple issue. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a ball joint, or a wheel bearing fail.
Would they blame that on me or something on the road?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts