2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
so about 3 weeks ago im driving along the hiway and keep hearing this slapping underneath along the passenger side it ends up being the plastic shroud catching the wind on the front area which in the wind keep smacking so went to dealer they found several of the plastic gromits that hold this plastic shround in place had come loose broken off or just came out and where lost somewhere .. the dealer said had to order new plastic hardwares for it so for a week they just took it off and i kept it in the back seat .after a week they got the the hardware in they fixed it all up and so i figured ok thats all fixed.. well only took 2 weeks and same thing happen and had come loose and lost more plastic gromits and it was now rattling along passenger side under rocker panel area.. i took it back in and they said yep did it again .. they say that these plastic nuts bolts plastic gromits that you put in and suppose to snap tightly in are not working very well and they dont stay in the plastic holder... anyway im thinking this sure is a terrible way to secure these shrouds that by the way are on both sides under the rocker panel area and all i think they are for is for just covering that are from slush dirt grime etc.. knock on wood so far the driver side hasnt poped loose yet to do the same thing i told they dealer i sure hope i dont have to deal with this problem every little while... seems like a very bad way to design these things... so has anyone else out there had this same thing happen..thanks
YES! Today I was driving down the Wilson River Highway six, and the same thing happened on my drivers side of the vehicle so loud the noise was so loud and I'm very pulled over got out course there's no cell service or no reception to be found on the highway and I didn't see anything underneath the right front wheel so I took off again and sure as heck it kept getting louder and louder and louder . Honestly short I got down to Gales Creek area and got out of the vehicle and looked under my right wheel and I could see a plastic something was hanging down and curved underneath and dragging on the ground anyway several hours later and about 10 more plastic screws gentleman had pulled out for me and pulled the whole cover off and I put it in my backseat and now I am unclear on what to do about the situation if I should buy a new one or just let it go or what do you have any suggestions thanks for your replies

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's there for a reason...to protect whatever you see that it covered...i havent looked but imagine fuel lines? maybe up north it protects from salt damage? hard to say. its not critical in the short term for sure. you can order the parts to put it back on but like $45 for all the retainers, clips, nuts for one side. there's probably a way to secure it better...anybody handy may be able to craft something better. good luck and others please share if you used glue? better screws? thanks! or maybe way in if necessary at all...

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's there for a reason...to protect whatever you see that it covered...i havent looked but imagine fuel lines? maybe up north it protects from salt damage? hard to say. its not critical in the short term for sure. you can order the parts to put it back on but like $45 for all the retainers, clips, nuts for one side. there's probably a way to secure it better...anybody handy may be able to craft something better. good luck and others please share if you used glue? better screws? thanks! or maybe way in if necessary at all...
It's most likely to reduce wind resistance for improved gas mileage. The other reason would be for sound dampening (wind noise).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wish I had found this earlier. From drivers side it sounded like a rattle in the passenger door. Usually at about 40 MPH and up. Drove me nuts. So I took door apart and tightened what I could and added weatherstripping and whatever. Didn’t help. Then I got my 11 year old grandson to ride in passenger seat and listen. He said it’s coming from the floor underneath ...boom he nailed it. The plastic panel passenger side! Has nothing to do with oil changes and panel up front. So question: can I order the newer metal push pins and will they fit/ work on the 2017? Or is there another home made fix? Thanks!!!!!!
Here's the fix I used for the plastic retainer nuts that always seem to come loose. They will back off/out no matter if they are new. Hot/Cold, expand/contract eventually works them loose.

I removed each of them and before placing them back on, I used a generous amount of black RTV on all of the threads, then pushed/screwed them back on. I let the car sit overnight without driving it. Been at least 6, maybe 9 months now and they are all just as snug as when I had put the RTV on them with zero rattles. The RTV will allow them to expand/contract as needed without backing off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ford lists those shields as Sound Shields. Mine were also lose on my 2017. The plastic nus loosened from the studs. My wifes 2017 was built in June 2017(almost a year after mine) Hers has metal nuts. As someone else mentioned Ford is no longer using the plastic push nuts. Rockauto has the steel nuts in a 4 pack. Part#W709729S442 . Mine have not loosened since replacing the plastic ones.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ford lists those shields as Sound Shields. Mine were also lose on my 2017. The plastic nus loosened from the studs. My wifes 2017 was built in June 2017(almost a year after mine) Hers has metal nuts. As someone else mentioned Ford is no longer using the plastic push nuts. Rockauto has the steel nuts in a 4 pack. Part#W709729S442 . Mine have not loosened since replacing the plastic ones.
Thanks for the info and PN! I'll switch to those if/when the plastic ones fail again. For non-critical parts or parts that don't annoy me, I always take an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" approach :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
so about 3 weeks ago im driving along the hiway and keep hearing this slapping underneath along the passenger side it ends up being the plastic shroud catching the wind on the front area which in the wind keep smacking so went to dealer they found several of the plastic gromits that hold this plastic shround in place had come loose broken off or just came out and where lost somewhere .. the dealer said had to order new plastic hardwares for it so for a week they just took it off and i kept it in the back seat .after a week they got the the hardware in they fixed it all up and so i figured ok thats all fixed.. well only took 2 weeks and same thing happen and had come loose and lost more plastic gromits and it was now rattling along passenger side under rocker panel area.. i took it back in and they said yep did it again .. they say that these plastic nuts bolts plastic gromits that you put in and suppose to snap tightly in are not working very well and they dont stay in the plastic holder... anyway im thinking this sure is a terrible way to secure these shrouds that by the way are on both sides under the rocker panel area and all i think they are for is for just covering that are from slush dirt grime etc.. knock on wood so far the driver side hasnt poped loose yet to do the same thing i told they dealer i sure hope i dont have to deal with this problem every little while... seems like a very bad way to design these things... so has anyone else out there had this same thing happen..thanks
I just had this happen last night on the PA Turnpike at 70mph! It thumped a little the came down and the folded under the car and made a horrible racket! By the time I could safely pull over and see what it was, it was ruined. I had a pair of tin snips in the car and I had to cut it off! Taking it to the dealer on Monday. Just got the car in November of last year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same issue.
I had a crack that ran from the push pin hole to the top edge of the panel. This allowed the panel to pull off the pushpin. I had a strange noise going to work one day and crawled under the vehicle to see what was going on and saw this with my own eyes.

On November 30th, I took my escape in for its State Inspection and emissions test, and got an Oil change.
I reported the issue to the service department while I was there.
The mechanic did some quick fix which I think was just him removing the pushpin, pushing the panel back in place, and re-inserting the push pin.
This fix did not work, so I called the dealer and setup an appointment to get it repaired. They ordered the part and after I called to follow up, I did not receive a call back letting me know the part was in, I was put on the schedule for January 10th.
The work did not take too long. The service advisor came out with a bill for ~$250.
I was shocked as asked why this was not covered under warranty.
The Service Advisor asked me to hold on and went to speak with someone. I am assuming this was the head of Service.
My Service advisor and this second person, named IRA came back. The second person told me something must have hit it and this part never fails. It would not be covered under warranty. I tried to explain to them that I had previously spoken with them about this and referenced the previous fix by their dealership. This is when the second person, got pretty rude with me. Told me this has never happened and wouldn't budge on fixing it under warranty. I went to speak with him a second time and he flat out said

At that point I was furious. Who says that to a customer who is actually trying to be reasonable?
I told them to take the new part off and I was not paying for it or labor. They could put the old part in the back of the scape.

Eventually the Service Advisor convinced IRA to use "Good Will" money to fix this.

Now that I have found this thread and am reading that this was updated on the 2018 models, it's obvious it was a bad design and nothing hit it. It was a part failure and should have been a no questions asked warranty fix.

I hope Ford Corporate reads this forums. I want an apology from Garnet Ford of West Chester PA.

I am sending this Thread to the dealership and I am going to call Ford's Customer Service Relationship Center
the number is
800-392-3673
In case anyone else runs into this same issue.

At the moment, I would have to recommend avoiding Garnet Ford of West Chester, PA.
This was a fairly simple issue. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a ball joint, or a wheel bearing fail.
Would they blame that on me or something on the road?
This just happened on our 2017 Escape last night. We bought from Pacifico on Marple Twp. We went to Garnet Ford and even the sales people were kind of rude! We left.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
"Now that I have found this thread and am reading that this was updated on the 2018 models" If this splash shield was updated in the 2018 model, I'm wondering if the updated shield would fit the 2017 model? With the same engine of course. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me both the driver side which caught a chunk of ice and the passenger side just started today I am quite annoyed and pissed off. A coworker of mine who’s been a mechanic his entire life said they’re not necessary so I just took them all off.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts