2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please answer yes and no. Then you may leave a comment.

No.

I never have on my automatic vehicles, and only know of 1 person who mentioned they do. I know a lot of people too!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If I'm parked on a slope yes, normally no.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Never

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I park a vehicle with an automatic transmission, my foot is on the brake pedal when I come to a stop. I then shift to park and use the parking brake before I take my foot off the brake pedal. I never knew about Pawls and stuff like that, it just seemed to me that I shouldn't be putting the weight of the vehicle on the transmission. If the parking spot is flat and level, I often don't use the parking brake. I'll be sure to always use it after what centex said, makes sense.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nope, unless it is a hill.
The dealer and Ford actually recommend using it on a hill to take some strain off the transmission shifting into and out of park and drive.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes...always. Don't trust the Park function alone to hold the car, especially on a hill.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes.

Unless I'm on flat, level ground. I engage the parking brake, shift to (N), release the main brake and let the parking brake take the vehicle weight, then shift to Park.

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes 100% on my vehicles no matter the road grade. Just like the seatbelt, I just do it.Taught my sons also. Have replaced complete parking brake cable sets multiple times over the years. They do tend to have problems over time, weather, usage. I'm very uncomfortable driving with an inoperative system. This electric system we'll see how it holds up. I do like it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes. 90% of the time unless I'm on a level surface and in a bit of a hurry. Otherwise, always.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts