2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, Always.

On all the cars Ive owned or driven, even those with a manual tranny, which in addition to setting the parking brake, I slide it into 2nd as well when parked.

Why would you put a manual tranny in 2nd? You use the lowest ratio gear, which is usually reverse.

·
Registered
106 Posts
no, except when parked on a slope whether it be downhill or uphill, I always use parking brake. but on level ground like our driveway, No. even the dealer service dept don't even use the parking brake when parking customers cars

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why would you put a manual tranny in 2nd? You use the lowest ratio gear, which is usually reverse.
Any gear will do, I suppose, in order to resist car movement when parked.
While pushing on the clutch, it is an easy and natural ergonomic movement to pull the gear shift back, opposing the leg movement. I was taught to move into 2nd gear when parked when learning to drive 4-on-the-floor. No idea what folks did when column shifters for 3-speed manual trannys. Reverse isn't as easily selected: pull left and push forward or pull back for reverse varied with car manufacturers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No

I do not use the parking brake. Is there a warning if you have brake engaged and try to drive? After so many years of not using it I just know I would do this.:eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes ---always. I spent too many years driving a manual transmission not to use the parking brake.

I also had an experience where the automatic transmission shifter linkage got out of adjustment--and the parking position of the automatic transmission quadrant failed--and would have permitted the vehicle to roll when parked.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, always. I started doing it a few years ago (even when I lived in relatively flat land) because I didn't like the way it felt when I would let go of the brake and the the car would shift all of the weight. It's a habit now to come to a complete stop and put on the parking brake before I shift into Park and let go of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do not use the parking brake. Is there a warning if you have brake engaged and try to drive? After so many years of not using it I just know I would do this.:eek:
There is a warning light advising you the parking brake is on but if you forget and drive off anyway it will release automatically. This is also advised in the manual somewhere.

Mine does anyway, assume yours is the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All my cars are manuals, and I always use the parking brake and leave it in neutral so it won't drive off on it's own when I use the remote start. LOL;)

Even with an automatic, the parking brake will prevent possible damage to your transmission if your car is on a slight hill, or if it gets tapped on the bumper when parked.
Regular use also keeps the cables and mechanism from seizing up from corrosion over the years.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FWIW, I also only use the parking brake on obvious slopes. Never in parking lots or garages or on flat streets. The next time I roll away or damage something, will be the first time. I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Always.

Why not? And, as someone pointed out, the transmission "park" pawl is not meant to be strained when on a hill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes. Always.
Funny thing, though, if battery discharged, has to be jumped, the brake won't unlock!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes, a popup message tells you to put your foot on the brake pedal and then release the e-brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Always.

Just because it is an automatic does not mean the car won't roll. I had a friend who believed his car would not roll in Park but he found out that was wrong. One day his car rolled right into a police car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No except when we park at my daughters who's driveway is on a LONG hill....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes*

*Only when parked on a grade. Until the parking brake got stuck on in my previous vehicle, I used to use it 100% of the time, regardless of the terrain. I couldn't believe the strange looks when I took my previous car in to get fixed, when I said I used it all the time. Every owner's manual in every car I've owned has said to use it all the time...their response instilled a lot of faith in the service department. (Ended up taking them 3 visits to completely fix the brake; I no longer allow that service department to touch my car).

In any case, I trust the parking pawl even less, especially given the recalls I've heard of for the ones that have failed. I cringe a little when I see someone throw their vehicle in park so hard that it rocks back and forth.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts