2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'm from the days back when if you used your e-brake, there was a 90% chance it would never release because the cable was rusted SOLID :p Good idea now though. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
YES

Amana stamco transmission shops for years and when the transmission at a rest since against the parking brake and puts tensions on all the gears now I may not be as bad as it used to be but it does slowly destroy transmission I've seen a lot of people that live in hilly areas where they put the car in park and it rests against it and then they take it out of park to hear that and the transmissions do not last anywhere near as long as the people that use their parking brake put the car in neutral first then put the parking brake on then put the car in park just experienced in my opinion this is voice to text so there may be a few odd words

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I live in Syracuse, NY. If you don't at least exercise your emergency brake, the cables could seize up. If that happens, your car will not pass New York State Annual Inspection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No Never have,however i bought my escape slightly used and the gentleman had the park break on on a flat surface and i asked why he said it was habit and helps transmission.

So im trying to get in the habit of engaging it and one day should be habit to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes.

My first car had an automatic transmission and if it was put into park while on an incline it was very difficult get it out of park unless I applied the foot-operated emergency brake before releasing the service brakes when I parked the car.. Got into the habit regardless if the car was an auto or manual. Hand brakes make doing it much easier.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes.

My first car had an automatic transmission and if it was put into park while on an incline it was very difficult get it out of park unless I applied the foot-operated emergency brake before releasing the service brakes when I parked the car.. Got into the habit regardless if the car was an auto or manual. Hand brakes make doing it much easier.
That behaviour is natural because it you do not apply the parking brake before you place the trannie in park it will roll back/forward due to it being on an incline and jam up the transmission for want of a better term and that is why it is difficult to get it out of park again.
If you continue to 'park' the car this way it will eventuate in damage to the park mechanism in the transmission.
I realise it is common sense but 'footbrake, handbrake, trannie in park' in that order when parking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Until recently I have. But having my rear brakes stick, and wear out with only 45,000 kms on the vehicle since new, I'm going to avoid using it to see if I get longer life from my rear brakes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Normally no!!! On a hill Yes! Learned from my early Ford years You cant trust park, and you can't trust the emergency brake. Together maybe??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes. Problem is remembering to take it off.
I had a 4wd vehicle longitudinal mount with a viscous clutch transfer case. Had the front drive shaft out to replace the u joints. Drove the truck to a friends with a steep driveway. Parked with the brake on. (Park brake drum was on rear driveshaft, not wheels). Someone cane in and said my truck was in the middle of the street. It had creeped very slowly all the way back to the flat road.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm from the days back when if you used your e-brake, there was a 90% chance it would never release because the cable was rusted SOLID :p Good idea now though. :)
Or the opposite, my friend never used it on his Mustang. Cost $800 to get it all replaced because it rusted in the open position.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Yes. Problem is remembering to take it off.
On my 2017 it'll release itself when you start to roll if you've forgotten, which I usually do on the very rare occasions when I use it.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts