2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

What Trim / Engine is your 13-20 Escape(s)?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Lots of Ti trim. Car people typically like the top trim levels and car people like to come on car forums. Maybe you are going to get skewed results. I see so many FEs in my town, and I doubt anyone of them come on here. The FE is my wife's primary car, she is a younger owner. I typically see grandmas driving FEs around here in the SEL trim.

Another point you might consider is that for we Canadians here the "Ti" trim is quite expensive. I'll never fully understand why vehicles (even the ones built in Canada) are so much cheaper in the U.S. even with the currency exchange.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We are proud owners of two Escapes.... 2013 SEL 1.6 (90,000 Miles) and a 2017 SE 1.5 (500 Miles) FWD on both.... could only register the first one.... on the survey......

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Updated with 60* cars, another way of looking at it ...

% of each trim that are 2.0
S 0%
SE 71%
SEL 75%
Ti 88%
(overall 80% of sample chose 2.0)

% of each trim level
S 2.7%
SE 35%
SEL 6.7%
Ti 56.7%
(total = 100.1% of sample due to rounding)

Please 'vote' if you've not yet ... more participants = better data :)

*includes 'off-poll' 2nd cars from @rjak707 and @magic1962 (thanks!)

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another point you might consider is that for we Canadians here the "Ti" trim is quite expensive. I'll never fully understand why vehicles (even the ones built in Canada) are so much cheaper in the U.S. even with the currency exchange.
I know you said this a while ago, but it might be, most of us Americans purchase vehicles at a higher rate than canucks do.

But I am a proud owner of the 2017 SE and Ti with the 1.5. I have had no complaints about the lower power ratings.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know you said this a while ago, but it might be, most of us Americans purchase vehicles at a higher rate than canucks do.

But I am a proud owner of the 2017 SE and Ti with the 1.5. I have had no complaints about the lower power ratings.
Actually, the 2.0 is probably not necessary, but nice for power-mad people like me, lol.

My wife was the owner of our first gen 3 Escape -- which she recently traded in on a 2018. The 2016 had the 1.6L and I remember thinking "NO WAY this is only a 1.6L engine". The surprising low-end torque of the Ecoboost took me by surprise.

But, driving hers in the more marginal situations (passing on hills, etc.) I felt it had less power than I liked. But especially for city or average suburban driving, the small Ecoboost engines are better than merely "adequate" -- they are quite good.

I prefer the 2.0, but it's an indulgence rather than a necessity, lol.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Whatever the reasons, in this poll as of this date with 60 vehicles the 2.0 engine is the overwhelming majority choice vs 25 vehicles with all other engines.

(Poll tally + 2 off-poll data points submitted in posts above = 85 total vehicles among 81 voters).

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I can't imagine the 1.5L being underpowered for a vehicle this size. I came *very* close to trading my Escape last weekend for a new Rav4 Adventure because of the frustrations I've had with this thing leaking. The Rav4 had only 175 HP, and was gutless compared to my 2.0L. But perfectly adequate for the car, and Toyota now rates it to pull 3,500 lbs in this trim, so it would pull my boat.

The 2.0L is fun, but the other options are hardly underpowered for the application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2015 AWD titanium was a 1.6. After it was stolen, as I was searching for a replacement, I was surprised to see so many drivers (not all, by any means) disparaging the power in the 1.6, only because my driving is almost exclusively up and down a somewhat curvy highway with an altitude gain of about 4000 feet. My 2015 was great. I could easily accelerate and pass anyone I needed to when driving up the mountain. It also worked great on Southern California freeways and interstates when needed. (Good thing no one told me it didn't have enough power.) My replacement Escape also has a 1.6 and is doing fine. This all probably goes to show how little I really know about car engines and power, but I'm definitely a happy camper with mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I bought my 2018 SE, I was trading in an Explorer. I was "budget impaired" and could not get another Explorer. The Escape was my choice and I am glad. I did not check the engine size after I saw the speedometer when to 140. Just assumed it was a 6-cylinder. I would have thought a bit harder about if I had, but so far have been very happy with the performance and since Houston is very flat, no hills to climb so that is not a problem. I am not a big fan of the front wheel drive. I have to be careful and not accelerate when turning. I don't guess I should be doing that anyway. :) The 1.5 does run as good as I need.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the 2017 SE had not been offered with the 2.0, I would have chosen another branded CUV.
Same here. Other vehicles under consideration were the Mazda CX-5 and either the Subie Forester or Outback w/the 2.5L normally aspirated engine. The Subarus are extremely popular here in the Pacific NW, but I didn't like their technology/phone integration as much as Sync 3, and any turbo option put them out of my price range. Got a really good deal on my Escape SE with most optional packages I really wanted, so that made it easy. Without the 2.0 option on the SE, I wouldn't have sprung for an additional 4 grand plus the extended warranty to bump up to the Titanium.I think Ford's decision to limit the 2.0 ecoboost to the Titanium will backfire because the one defining feature that made the Escape stand out from most competitors was the power available, and often opted for. Every website, youtube and magazine review of the 2018 Escape SE will no longer talk about how nimble and quick the Ford is because there will be no versions with that feature. Not everybody wants to read reviews of the top trim level vehicles before buying, so they'll be comparing the 1.6L SE against the competition, and that will just make it harder to pick. It's a bad move, Ford. Glad I got mine in time, because it kicks butt!

Reactions: RushMan and TomB985

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
No provisional ballots!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This poll deserves a bump.

The results surprised me (currently at 142 respondents) but that may be attributed to enthusiasts joining this forum verses the general population. And the 2.0 liter Titanium does create enthusiasm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would love to vote... but I hate to ask, but how do we know exactly what model we have??
I bought my 2013 used and have all of the contract paper work, FORD owner's booklets, etc... but still don't know.
It is an SE AWD from what I can see, has a full sunroof, no back up camera, press button automatic lift gate, no leather, gets about 21-22 mph all around driving (average), luggage rails on top, CD radio with AM, FM sat...etc.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I would love to vote... but I hate to ask, but how do we know exactly what model we have??.....
The model (S, SE, SEL, or Titanium) and "AWD" if equipped, should be displayed on the right rear liftgate badging unless that was removed.

See this post for the engines available per trim in 2013.

If you look at the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood near the front, right of center: within the 'cryptospeak' on that tag I find mention of "2.0l group" on mine - perhaps yours has that or "1.6l group"?

The site I used to link for lookup of vehicle detail based on VIN seems to be closed - any (friendly) Ford Dealer can enter your VIN in their computer system print out a copy of your original window sticker or a similar sheet listing all of the OEM vehicle specs, options, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The vast majority of Escapes and other models from all manufacturers are dealer ordered rather than customer ordered, so I would think that powertrain/model take rates don't represent what originating customers necessarily wanted, beyond FWD-vs-AWD, but what they would accept.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
53 Posts
I voted for my 2014 SE 1.6 (bought off the lot)

couldnt vote again.....

My wife has a 2017 SE 2.0 (we ordered it)

Z plan got us both an extra $2,000+ off

HATE the idea of having to get the Titanium to get the 2.0 now.
Don't want/need all the extra crap that comes with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
@REDRUM - agree with you not needing all the extra stuff. The only thing I wish I could have extra on my 2015 2.0 SE is the addition of heated side mirror.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts