2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question this is my first turbo car I supercharged a lot of my other ones and on like my vortecs and even my m90 superchargers we would port the inlets and outlets and such on them I saw some stuff on the internet but I don't know a lot of them looked like dumbasses. Has anyone looked into porting the turbo compressor and turbine housing and how difficult it is to get the turbo off and if there was any gains that are really worthwhile on the stock turbo? Also I was looking at the intake ports and is really weird how the intake manifold is just four open ports but then on the head it leads to eight individual ports and actual individual runner for each valve and there was like a just thick flat surface like a quarter of an inch thick and to me it just seemed like airflow wise that's not very good the air's got to be smashing into that and you know causing a bunch of turbulence that you don't need because it's direct injection so it's not like the turbulence is even helping with fuel atomization or anything, so I was thinking about possibly knife edging those intake ports and like even when I go online and look at the shops ported heads it doesn't look like anyone did that so I was wondering if anyone knew why I'm just a poor student right now so I have a lot more time than money and I've I've had a fair bit of experience messing with superchargers and such and engines so I wouldn't be afraid to do this stuff myself but I was just wondering if it was worth it or if I would mess something up if I did the knife edging. and by the way I do have a friend who has actual machining equipment and a flow ben ch not that I was going to take the head off to flow test it honestly I would just plug the ports and just knife edge in between the runners for each cylinder I've done it before without worrying about stuff going down into the ports and getting into the engine I know it's kind of hokie but only taken one over a cam inch and a part and I really don't want to do it again plus this is my daily driver. So if you have any actual info if you really know please comment.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The turbo looks like a pita to get to unless you have a lift. It’s on the back top side of the engine and would require the down pipe to be unattached too.

IMO, go see what the focus ST guys are doing, same turbo, Downpipe is different though

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The turbo looks like a pita to get to unless you have a lift. It’s on the back top side of the engine and would require the down pipe to be unattached too.

IMO, go see what the focus ST guys are doing, same turbo, Downpipe is different though
Thanks I kind of put this on the back burner when I got two speeding tickets within a week of each other so I ended up spending my tuner money on tickets but hopefully once I get my tax return I can get the tuner and then I'm going to start looking at that stuff again

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Look into "hi flowing a turbo". You need to change the compressor and exhaust wheels to match any machining of the housings and then get it balanced- not your average DIY project. (Probably cheaper to just buy a larger off the shelf turbo.)

I had it professionally done back in the 1990's and ended up with an empty wallet and collapsed turbo thrust bearing (= destroyed turbo with alloy blade parts through the engine.) Not happy!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not messing with altering the compressor or turbine around the wheel mostly just gonna clean up any casting imperfections and making sure connections line up except for the entry from head to turbine I was thinking about possibly trying to enlarge a bit but until I get in there I can't say for sure what I'll do. It may turn out it's just such a pain it's not worth it who knows. I'll update as I go. But yeah not worth the hybrid upgrades coat benefit wise I'd just go to a larger turbo this is just about what I can do without spending a lot of money and using the stock setup.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm not messing with altering the compressor or turbine around the wheel mostly just gonna clean up any casting imperfections and making sure connections line up except for the entry from head to turbine I was thinking about possibly trying to enlarge a bit but until I get in there I can't say for sure what I'll do. It may turn out it's just such a pain it's not worth it who knows. I'll update as I go. But yeah not worth the hybrid upgrades coat benefit wise I'd just go to a larger turbo this is just about what I can do without spending a lot of money and using the stock setup.
someone on the forum finally did a big turbo swap to an escape ;) you could try it too! ;-p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have the money that's why I'm trying to figure out what I can do with the stock setup

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
My thoughts (perhaps not correct) - with a turbocharged engine you're getting the air forced into the engine under pressure. Any small airflow type changes (knife edging etc) do not seem to be as beneficial. If you want to do anything start with the freeing up the exhaust system's flow, then the intake. That's just my thoughts after playing around for many years on N/A and turbo vehicles.

I knife edged the throttle body butterfly and butterfly spindle/support on a N/A vehicle and it made no obvious difference.

I also ground out the outlet exhaust outlet housing on a turbo to match the exhaust better on another vehicle and noticed no change either. That sounds like along the lines of what you were planning?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thing is I'm not spending any cash on this Right now except for the tuner so this is what I'm limited to and I have access to a flow bench and lathe and a professional milling machine and a machinist who was a machinist for decades if I need to who drag raced for about all of his life so I'm pretty hopeful there's a few things that we can do better, rarely does manufacturers not leave anything on the table and yeah it rarely seems worth it on tb's well I mean a lot of people have seen success with big blowers I wish I had experimented with it on my m90 but yeah naturally aspirated even other scenarios unless it's a restriction it won't do anything on anything but the thing that I'm saying here is knife edging a throttle blade I mean that's a tiny fraction of a surface compared to the flat surface in between the eight ports it's just a lot more area and with that transition from a single port in the manifold to dual ports in the head versus it just all being the same air flow through a throttle body who knows there could be some games to be had but you never know until you try and honestly you could tell me that you've already done it before on this exact engine and it didn't work and I'd still do it but it is interesting to note that you've done this before and didn't have any changes I'll keep that in mind thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts