2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a moderator deletes a post, could you please at least inform the person who posted it WHY it was deleted? I think I know the reason, which I would argue that it was still on the topic, but it would be nice out of courtesy (and possibly to also prevent future issues) to at least inform the poster what they did in error.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
We usually do inform members when their posts have been removed. Which I did in the Heated seats thread. The mods don’t have time to PM each member when we have to remove multiple posts for the same reason. If you believe your post was removed by mistake, then please PM one of the mods to explain why you thing it was a mistake.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but IMHO, that just sounds lazy moderation.
If they're all for the same reason, you don't have enough time to copy/paste the message a couple times? Highlight text, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Should be able to knock out at least three in 30 seconds. In other forums I work with, we at least leave a post saying "Post deleted for xyz reason(s)" if there are multiple posts that need removal. If you don't at least notify the offender(s) what they did wrong, they're that much more likely to repeat, creating that much more work for the moderators in the future.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
Any post to a thread should relate to the original poster's question. If posts don't relate to the question, don't add any technical value to the thread or drag the thread off topic they may be deleted.

Sometimes other associated posts (after the offending post) may also be deleted for continuity reasons. Those posts may be borderline or also off topic (due to them being replies to the offending post.)

Yes, this forum is stricter than some others in that area.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
OK, I can understand the point raised here. I'd like to know how makes up these "rules"? I can assure you from personal experience that over moderation can kill a site. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
We usually do inform members when their posts have been removed. Which I did in the Heated seats thread. The mods don’t have time to PM each member when we have to remove multiple posts for the same reason. If you believe your post was removed by mistake, then please PM one of the mods to explain why you thing it was a mistake.
Yes you did inform me but seeing as how you removed my post how am I supposed to know what I posted that broke the rules? I can't be expected to remember every detail of my posts, specially at my age. o_O

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
OK, I can understand the point raised here. I'd like to know how [sic] makes up these "rules"? I can assure you from personal experience that over moderation can kill a site. :whistle:
…. and under-moderation can render a site useless for those interested in the substantive subject of the forum. It's a difficult balance, rarely (ever?) perfectly satisfying for all users, most forums seeming to give moderators (in their thankless uncompensated role) lots of latitude in fulfilling that job.

IMO this forum's moderators over time have struck a pretty darned good balance, obviously YMMV.

I know for sure I wouldn't want the job of moderating here, knowing I lack the restraint required to deal with the complaints in the consistently civil manner that's incumbent on (good) Moderators.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
…. and under-moderation can render a site useless for those interested in the substantive subject of the forum. It's a difficult balance, rarely (ever?) perfectly satisfying for all users, most forums seeming to give moderators (in their thankless uncompensated role) lots of latitude in fulfilling that job.

IMO this forum's moderators over time have struck a pretty darned good balance, obviously YMMV.

I know for sure I wouldn't want the job of moderating here, knowing I lack the restraint required to deal with the complaints in the consistently civil manner that's incumbent on (good) Moderators.
I concur. Moderation is a difficult task. Walk a mile in those shoes! Do the math. How many posts? How many members? The work load is signifcant. The moderators have done a good job.

·
Super Moderator
539 Posts
Whenever any member has a concern about site Moderation, please contact a Moderator via the P.M. function. Public complaints regarding Moderation actions are not useful/helpful to our community.

Thank you,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.