2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,519 Posts
CEL's been on for the past month or so with the same P1450 code. Mechanic hooked it up to the machine and thought they found a tiny leak in a hose, replaced it, CEL came back. Replaced the evap purge valve (the whole spider-looking assembly), but CEL is back with the same code, both times the following days and in less than 50 miles.

I know this is a common issue and a common cause is overfilling the tank. I do not overfill my tank.

Suggestions on what to check next? If the evap purge valve replacement didn't do it, what's the second most likely cause?

One note: I have not filled the tank since the valve was replaced. It's about a 3/4 full right now. Would running it down before filling or topping it off now make any difference?

Thanks in advance!
I merged your thread with one of the many existing threads on this code. Have a look at the other posts for some help

·
Registered
11 Posts
The part # you need for the fuel vapor separator hose is CV6Z-9D289-S. This is the spider like assembly.

And you are correct in assuming you may need to change the fuel vapor canister solenoid in the rear of the vehicle.

Until you get this repaired try to keep your fuel tank at 1/2 or less. What is happening is your canister is filling up with fuel because it’s not getting purged.
I'm confused. Ford refers to CV6Z9D289S as the "Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid" and it's the spider-like thing in the engine bay: https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CV6Z9D289S.html

I already replaced that and my CEL and code are back. Do you happen to know the part number and name of what you're referring to that gets replaced in the rear?
I merged your thread with one of the many existing threads on this code. Have a look at the other posts for some help
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I'm confused. Ford refers to CV6Z9D289S as the "Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid" and it's the spider-like thing in the engine bay: https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CV6Z9D289S.html

I already replaced that and my CEL and code are back. Do you happen to know the part number and name of what you're referring to that gets replaced in the rear?

Thanks.
Well, first things first. You need to fill out your signature with your vehicle specs. Look at mine as an example. Kinda difficult to help you without your specs.

here is a picture from the internet that shows a simplified version of the locations of the components. In the rear above the gas tank is the other component that may need replacing. If you don’t have AWD it is pretty easy, hence the title of this thread.

3F1C6AB6-2E2D-45FD-A55F-30ADEAD494D4.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, first things first. You need to fill out your signature with your vehicle specs. Look at mine as an example. Kinda difficult to help you without your specs.

here is a picture from the internet that shows a simplified version of the locations of the components. In the rear above the gas tank is the other component that may need replacing. If you don’t have AWD it is pretty easy, hence the title of this thread.
I apologize, I didn't realize that the 3rd gen Escape varied so wildly that they had completely different components with different names in varying locations. Thank you for the suggestion, I have updated my signature with (what I hope is) enough information that someone, somewhere can explain to me why previous comments confusingly referred to a component by the wrong name (or provided the wrong part number). Or explain why the Ford dealership parts site I linked to uses names/part numbers that don't match what's been said in this thread.

Although based on the image you provided (thank you, by the way!), it sounds like the answer to my question - What do I replace after the spider-like evap assembly in the engine bay, since it didn't fix the issue? - is "canister vent valve" and/or "charcoal filter".

As for the "title of this thread", it uses the term "nightmare" - which I generally wouldn't pair with "pretty easy" - hence my confusion. Clearly, I'm struggling to keep up and appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
I apologize, I didn't realize that the 3rd gen Escape varied so wildly that they had completely different components with different names in varying locations. Thank you for the suggestion, I have updated my signature with (what I hope is) enough information that someone, somewhere can explain to me why previous comments confusingly referred to a component by the wrong name (or provided the wrong part number). Or explain why the Ford dealership parts site I linked to uses names/part numbers that don't match what's been said in this thread.

Although based on the image you provided (thank you, by the way!), it sounds like the answer to my question - What do I replace after the spider-like evap assembly in the engine bay, since it didn't fix the issue? - is "canister vent valve" and/or "charcoal filter".

As for the "title of this thread", it uses the term "nightmare" - which I generally wouldn't pair with "pretty easy" - hence my confusion. Clearly, I'm struggling to keep up and appreciate any and all help.
The info on your vehicle is vital for an accurate answer. I’m going to give you a simple example. Let’s say you ask a computer repair person to fix your computer. Don’t you think they would need to know if your running windows vista, or windows 10? What build of windows 10. What chipset, or graphics card or motherboard, depending on the problem. It goes on and on. It’s the same with the 3rd gen. Escape. Every year the manufacturer makes little changes that we don’t see on the outside.

As far as part numbers, they are constantly changing. The part has a base number, but all the other numbers and letters can refer to the other details like the color. The spider like assembly might end in a “B” when the vehicle first hits the market, but a month down the road it might end in a “F”. This is merely a different production run. Usually parts websites will say “discontinued “ and replaced by such and such part number. Sometimes it’s just an updated part number but sometimes the part has been improved or changed somehow.

The reason the thread was called a nightmare was only for folks with AWD. To replace the emissions components in the rear of the vehicle you would have to drop the complete rear end. The rear differential, axles and suspension. A very expensive repair.

The good news is that you have FWD, so you can reach up in there and replace the components yourself without removing the rear end It should not take more than an hour.

Here is a picture from my 2013 showing the rear emissions components tucked way up in there next to the gas tank.

Rear Emissions.jpg

Reactions: Vader101 and murcod

·
Registered
11 Posts
The info on your vehicle is vital for an accurate answer. I’m going to give you a simple example. Let’s say you ask a computer repair person to fix your computer. Don’t you think they would need to know if your running windows vista, or windows 10? What build of windows 10. What chipset, or graphics card or motherboard, depending on the problem. It goes on and on. It’s the same with the 3rd gen. Escape. Every year the manufacturer makes little changes that we don’t see on the outside.

As far as part numbers, they are constantly changing. The part has a base number, but all the other numbers and letters can refer to the other details like the color. The spider like assembly might end in a “B” when the vehicle first hits the market, but a month down the road it might end in a “F”. This is merely a different production run. Usually parts websites will say “discontinued “ and replaced by such and such part number. Sometimes it’s just an updated part number but sometimes the part has been improved or changed somehow.

The reason the thread was called a nightmare was only for folks with AWD. To replace the emissions components in the rear of the vehicle you would have to drop the complete rear end. The rear differential, axles and suspension. A very expensive repair.

The good news is that you have FWD, so you can reach up in there and replace the components yourself without removing the rear end It should not take more than an hour.

Here is a picture from my 2013 showing the rear emissions components tucked way up in there next to the gas tank.
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. Sounds like the next best step would be replacing the vapor canister and/or vapor canister purge solenoid. Looking at this emissions diagram (specific for the 2014 Escape SE with 1.6L engine and FWD), there appear to be two canister options and I'm not sure which is the best bet to try first. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

vapor canister 1 (part FG9Z9D653M): https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/FG9Z9D653M.html
vapor canister 2 (part CU5Z9D653J): https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CU5Z9D653J.html
vapor canister purge solenoid (part CU5Z9F945A): https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CU5Z9F945A.html

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #147

·
Registered
1 Posts
If yours is stumbling right after you fill up that is good, in a way. That might just be your purge valve. If it’s stumbling all the time that’s bad.
If it's "stumbling" right after fueling that means it's likely the valve close to the intake?
If it's "stumbling" right after fueling that means it's likely the valve close to the intake that's bad?

141 - 148 of 148 Posts