2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2016 Escape Titanium Ecoboost 4wd 2.0.
Last I was driving up a sustained incline. It was already steep. We were only three in the vehicle and no more. All of a sudden the engine power has decreased and it has shut down. Would almost no longer come up to the mountain. I tried to change to S but nothing worked. He stayed in 2nd gear and could not be switched to 1st gear. Actually, something like this should not happen! Since drive whole buses fully loaded up without problems. Does anyone here have a guess what the reason could be?

Regards Manuel

·
Registered
Escape 2014 SE AWD 2.0L turbo with lots of options
145 Posts
Last I was driving up a sustained incline. It was already steep. We were only three in the vehicle and no more. All of a sudden the engine power has decreased and it has shut down. Would almost no longer come up to the mountain. I tried to change to S but nothing worked. He stayed in 2nd gear and could not be switched to 1st gear. Actually, something like this should not happen! Since drive whole buses fully loaded up without problems. Does anyone here have a guess what the reason could be?

Regards Manuel
That doesn’t sound good unless you were still moving. Did the engine actually stalled? I actually drove in four inches of snow hauling a trailer today and at some point I had to switch to S mode too because the AWD was trying to apply traction control, probably in second speed. It should not stall but you will definitely not go forward anymore. The S mode did the trick and you should be able to get it on first gear if you’re going less than 10 mph (not sure exactly at which speed it will enable you to switch to first, I have to check that). In my opinion, you would only use 1st gear when you come to a complete stop and need to climb a strong slope.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I verified today at what speed it is possible to shift down to 1st on my Escape 2014 2.0 engine and I was successful at 25 mph although I don’t recommend it as the engine revs up to over 4,000 rpm. I usually won’t use it unless I’m very close to a complete stop when driving in hills.

I didn’t have enough ice and snow on the road to test the traction control on 1st speed on hills in my neighbourhood. I’ll try this weekend as we’re due for more snow.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like your car went into limp mode to protect itself or the transmission is on the way out. Have the car read for codes and get it diagnosed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As I said I would do, here’s the result of my testing on harsh conditions.

We had a few snow squalls 400 miles away from Buffalo (near Ottawa, enough to get the leftovers), so plenty of snow to test traction control. On Sport mode in first gear, traction control engaged in a steep hill. However, since I have winter tires with metal studs, traction control only engaged for a second and I was on my way. A few days ago, I was pulling a 1,000 pounds trailer in another steep incline in 4 inches of snow, At first, I just engaged slowly and I got kind of stuck because I didn’t accelerate fast enough before hitting the hill. Traction control engaged and despite that I was still stuck. I stopped insisting after a few seconds. I had to go in reverse to the bottom of the hill (about 30 feet distance) and I hit the pedal harder in Sport mode and it went through it easily that second time (it probably would have done the same in normal mode).

So, should you get stuck and still keep the gas pedal down, at some point, I have the feeling that something would overheat or disengage, I’m not sure (limp mode?). Definitely something not to try (and i didn’t nor insisted). If traction control doesn’t pull you out of trouble in a a few seconds, don’t insist and try something else.

Hope your gears are OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Regards Manuel
My 2013 2.o has done that a couple times. I was going up a road that was paved but a steep incline. The weather was very hot that day and I was driving it rather hard. All of a sudden, loss of power however the display read that the temperature was rising and it killed the power ( boost ) until it cooled down. It is amazing what little power a normally aspirated engine produces. Anyone that grew up in the 70"s or 80"s can appreciate a 4 cylinder with boost

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2013 2.o has done that a couple times. I was going up a road that was paved but a steep incline. The weather was very hot that day and I was driving it rather hard. All of a sudden, loss of power however the display read that the temperature was rising and it killed the power ( boost ) until it cooled down. It is amazing what little power a normally aspirated engine produces. Anyone that grew up in the 70"s or 80"s can appreciate a 4 cylinder with boost
This situation sounds like heat soak. The factory intercooler on the 2.0 is terrible. Once you get into sustained boost it fails to cool quickly. Intake charge temps rise quickly resulting in a big loss of power.
This is why the Focus ST folk upgrade the intercooler first and foremost. Usually for a SUV doing normal driving it isn't a big issue. But when you push it, it will quickly be noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts