2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a used 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L. I"m liking the car so far, but one thing that has been bothering me is the feel of the steering. I understand that it's an electric power steering system vs hydraulic which is new to me. The issue I have is how soft (for lack of a better word) the steering feels at low speed. Any bump or variation in the road causes the steering wheel to wander to one side or the other. I constantly feel like I need to recenter the steering wheel on any bump, slope or rut. It feels like it won't pull back to center on its own. This only happens at lower speeds, like under 40kmh (~25mph). At higher speeds, it feels stiff and normal. Most cars I've driven feel much stiffer at a low speed and pull to center evenly at all speeds. I don't know if this is a problem with the steering or just how the escape feels. the car was safetied and realigned at purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a used 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L. I"m liking the car so far, but one thing that has been bothering me is the feel of the steering. I understand that it's an electric power steering system vs hydraulic which is new to me. The issue I have is how soft (for lack of a better word) the steering feels at low speed. Any bump or variation in the road causes the steering wheel to wander to one side or the other. I constantly feel like I need to recenter the steering wheel on any bump, slope or rut. It feels like it won't pull back to center on its own. This only happens at lower speeds, like under 40kmh (~25mph). At higher speeds, it feels stiff and normal. Most cars I've driven feel much stiffer at a low speed and pull to center evenly at all speeds. I don't know if this is a problem with the steering or just how the escape feels. the car was safetied and realigned at purchase.
I never have experienced anything like you descibe for my 2013, 2016, or 2018 Escapes. How many miles? Have you checked the alignment and wheel balance?
Aslo, consider placing your vehilcle information in your signature line. Helps us help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 55,000 miles. The alignment was checked and corrected during the safety check. Not sure about the wheel balance, but the car doesn't vibrate or pull in a specific direction.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do you have technology package that has a lane keeping feature? If not, take it to a dealer and have them review the system. I might need a reset or re-centering. Who did the alignment?

Communication Number: SSM 46259, Date: 2016-12-12 Category: 010000 STEERING Summary: 2017 ESCAPES EQUIPPED WITH 301A TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE HAVE THE LANE KEEPING SYSTEM FEATURE. IF A CUSTOMER HAS A STEERING PULL OR VEHICLE DRIFT CONCERN AND THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE LANE KEEPING SYSTEM, ENSURE THAT THE CUSTOMER IS AWARE

Read more at: 2017 Ford Escape Technical Service Bulletins
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership did the alignment.

The car does have lane-keeping. I've turned it off the lane keep and I notice a slight improvement, but it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the Bulletin, this seems very promising. I'm going to definitely have them look at it now.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
The dealership did the alignment.

The car does have lane-keeping. I've turned it off the lane keep and I notice a slight improvement, but it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the Bulletin, this seems very promising. I'm going to definitely have them look at it now.
hope this works for you. You might consider adding trim level to the signature too. Can shorten time for reader to give a salient suggestion. I will be updating mine just because of what I learned from your post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have technology package that has a lane keeping feature? If not, take it to a dealer and have them review the system. I might need a reset or re-centering. Who did the alignment?

Communication Number: SSM 46259, Date: 2016-12-12 Category: 010000 STEERING Summary: 2017 ESCAPES EQUIPPED WITH 301A TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE HAVE THE LANE KEEPING SYSTEM FEATURE. IF A CUSTOMER HAS A STEERING PULL OR VEHICLE DRIFT CONCERN AND THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE LANE KEEPING SYSTEM, ENSURE THAT THE CUSTOMER IS AWARE

Read more at: 2017 Ford Escape Technical Service Bulletins
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
I dug deeper into this Bulletin and it just appears to be a notification to inform the customer how the lane keep assist works if they complain about pulling or drifting.
2017 FORD ESCAPE SUV AWD

Regardless, I will be setting up an appointment to have them look at it. I do have lane keep, but I turned it off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dug deeper into this Bulletin and it just appears to be a notification to inform the customer how the lane keep assist works if they complain about pulling or drifting.
2017 FORD ESCAPE SUV AWD

Regardless, I will be setting up an appointment to have them look at it. I do have lane keep, but I turned it off.
Maybe this has been done, but check tire pressures. Even if the TPMS isn't showing a fault, there may be a tire low enough to affect handling. I've never noticed any wandering on my FE, but I keep the lane keeping off most of the time during the winter, as on some roads where there is a narrow strip of unplowed snow or snowplow wake in the lane the steering wheel will buzz. IMHO, a lot of these driver assist features are not ready for primetime.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Perhaps get a second opinion on your wheel alignment being correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires are all inflated. I can get a second opinion on wheel alignment but I don't think it's that. This feels more like the electronic power steering is influencing the steering not the wheels. I'll be taking it in for Ford this week hopefully.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I seem to recall some early versions of the Escape (2008+) had a EPS update to get rid of some strange behavior that was coming from their newly introduced systems.

While I can't find anything or the newer 2013+ escapes, it wouldn't hurt to make certain that the dealer updates your software/firmware to the latest/greatest if there is one.

Personally I despise the lane keep assist on ANY vehicle. Whether it's an alert or an electronic compensation that physically "Corrects" the vehicle. It's just annoying.

They are not always accurate and sometimes they are counter to my objective. My objective being that when there is a dingle-berry in my blind spot that speeds up/slows down with me and maintains their dingle-berry status despite my best attempt at lulling them out of my shadow; I tend to hug the the side of my lane or drive braille in my lane on the side that's closest to said dingle-berry in an effort to get them to realize I may "inadvertently" coast into their lane so they speed up/slow down to get away from being in my blind spot. Usually works...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I brought it to the dealer and had two different people look at it, test drove two different Escapes (2017 and 2018) and wasn't able to convince them that mine is significantly worse than the ones we compared it to. There are also no TSB's on the power steering. I suppose Ford Escapes just don't drive the way I'm used to. I'm used to the steering wheel staying still when hitting bumps or ruts, which Escape does not. Drive down a bumpy road at 15-20mph and you'll see the steering bounce back and forth. I'm disappointed, but it's my wife's car and it doesn't seem to bother her as much as it bothers me so c'est la vie.

I came to a stoplight the other day in her car and I guess there was a slight dip in the road, the steering wheel moved just as I stopped and stayed at a 20deg angle... not cool ¯\(ツ)/¯.

Anyway, thanks all for your input!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I brought it to the dealer and had two different people look at it, test drove two different Escapes (2017 and 2018) and wasn't able to convince them that mine is significantly worse than the ones we compared it to. There are also no TSB's on the power steering. I suppose Ford Escapes just don't drive the way I'm used to. I'm used to the steering wheel staying still when hitting bumps or ruts, which Escape does not. Drive down a bumpy road at 15-20mph and you'll see the steering bounce back and forth. I'm disappointed, but it's my wife's car and it doesn't seem to bother her as much as it bothers me so c'est la vie.

I came to a stoplight the other day in her car and I guess there was a slight dip in the road, the steering wheel moved just as I stopped and stayed at a 20deg angle... not cool ¯\(ツ)/¯.

What vehicles are you comparing the Escape to? The Escape steering is fairly sensitive and always has been going back to my 2010. I have/had 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2018 models. Never experienced anything as you describe. Also your "rough roads" are located where? Perhaps there is a clue in all that???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What vehicles are you comparing the Escape to? The Escape steering is fairly sensitive and always has been going back to my 2010. I have/had 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2018 models. Never experienced anything as you describe. Also your "rough roads" are located where? Perhaps there is a clue in all that???
I'm comparing to my current Honda Accord and my previous Ford-150's. The roads I'm referring to are in southern Ontario Greater Toronto and Hamilton area. All maintained roads with your typical potholes, cracks and road snakes. Some worse than others naturally.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I'm comparing to my current Honda Accord and my previous Ford-150's. The roads I'm referring to are in southern Ontario Greater Toronto and Hamilton area. All maintained roads with your typical potholes, cracks and road snakes. Some worse than others naturally.
Baffled. Last suggestion is to have a friend who drives an Escape drive yours over same roads and get his opinion of any difference. Other than the snow, my roads likely similar to yours. I live in Houston area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have your identical vehicle, and have no problems. I live in Hamilton PM me if you like.
George

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I'm used to the steering wheel staying still when hitting bumps or ruts, which Escape does not. Drive down a bumpy road at 15-20mph and you'll see the steering bounce back and forth.
I haven't got lane keep assist, the steering in mine is fairly "dead" for feeling and feedback. The only time I have had any meaningful feedback (steering wheel reacting to bumps etc.) was straight after I'd lowered the suspension. That had thrown the alignment out and it returned to the normal (for electric assisted steering) lack of feel and feedback after a wheel alignment.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Did the steering wheel move when the auto-stop-start engaged? I have had that happen and it is disturbing that the steering wheel jerks when the Auto-Stop-start kicks the engine off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did the steering wheel move when the auto-stop-start engaged? I have had that happen and it is disturbing that the steering wheel jerks when the Auto-Stop-start kicks the engine off.
Auto-stop doesn't seem to have any specific impact on steering. It does have it's own issue in which it sometimes asks me to shift into Park and restart the engine. There is a TSB and reprogramming available for this but at my own expense.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Auto-stop doesn't seem to have any specific impact on steering. It does have it's own issue in which it sometimes asks me to shift into Park and restart the engine. There is a TSB and reprogramming available for this but at my own expense.
I had the TSB taken care of last year, so far so good in that regard. We've only had a couple days with low temps in the teens (F), and I haven't had the "Shift to Park, restart message, so that seems to have fixed that problem.
Others have commented on the steering wheel jerking when the Auto-Stop-Start shuts the engine off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts