2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to swap 2013-16 head or taillights with 2017-19 ones? I love my '16 and with only 33k miles on it I don't want to trade it in just yet. There are, however, a few things I wish I had. I got it used a year and a half ago and it's an se model with SYNC 1. I plan on swapping sync 3 in down the road but that's a more expensive change I would rather not make right now. The headlights are probably my best option at the moment and aside from going aftermarket, I'd like to know my options. I think titanium models have different lights pre-facelift, but what I would really like is a set of post-facelift headlights. The taillights aren't as big of a deal to me but would be nice. They seem to be roughly the same shape but I don't have a 2017 to park next to in order to compare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I doubt anyone has, as that would involve swapping the front bumper (potentially having to modify or swap the bumper support, and may obscure airflow to the intercooler and radiator), as well as the fenders and hood. And the tail light swap won't work either. The shapes are totally different. Tint them maybe?

My recommendation is to find a set of aftermarket headlights off eBay. I have a set that I just adore, they have that cool DRL stroke to them, but there are several sets to choose from. Also be sure to search for "Kuga" headlights to widen your search.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This has been discussed before. It’s remains ridiculous now as much as it was back then. The front and rear sheet metal was changed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,432 Posts
I'd be thinking it would make the Sync 1 to 3 swap look very cheap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Now that parts are starting to find there way into salvage yards, it actually wouldn't necessarily be that expensive or difficult to source the parts needed. But it would require a lot of parts.

For the front, it would require at the minimum the full bumper including grilles and foglights, hood, and of course the headlights in question. Possibly some under body stuff as well but most items should be plug and play to a certain point since it was only a face lift between the two models.

For the rear, it looks as though it would be slightly simpler only requiring the hatch along with the taillights since the bumpers look identical.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also the 2017+ , IN MY OPINION, look like ass compared to the 3rd gens.

Reactions: Built1.6

·
Super Moderator
2,432 Posts
Now that parts are starting to find there way into salvage yards, it actually wouldn't necessarily be that expensive or difficult to source the parts needed.
The problem is most accident damaged vehicles suffer front end damage. Salvage yards would know they can charge premium prices for those parts.

They seem to have used a new plastic trim on the hatch to accommodate the new light shape. (But it's unlikely to be that easy.... Edit: looking again the metal is different around the number plate area.)

The rear bumper/ bar looks possibly the same?

(They're both Aussie models above. The body is the same though AFAIK.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
^^That's why I mentioned it would require the hatch too. But now that you posted the picture, I can see a different line under the taillight on the bumper too, so it would require swapping the rear bumper as well.

And your right on the crash damage. Prices will continue to fall, but for 17 + model years, salvage yards will still probably be asking a premium.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Have you met the mustang crowd? Body panel swaps and complete overhauls for the sake of appearance is acceptable if not almost normal for those that like a certain year front/rear end.......... It's all about whether or not you want to invest the time and $$.

·
Super Moderator
2,432 Posts
I can see a different line under the taillight on the bumper too
Yes, I missed that section. I was concentrating on where the tailgate and rear 1/4 panel match up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts