2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid Sport SE. Today, after using about 1/2 tank of gas, I went to fill the tank for the first time. As soon as I put the fuel nozzle into the opening, the nozzle clicked off. This happened several times, with no gas pumped at all. Finally, I had to put absolute minimum pressure on the nozzle in order to slowly fill my tank. It took forever to pump in 7 gallons. Is this a known problem with this vehicle? And is it likely the dealer can fix it? I don't want to have to experience this problem for the next 10 years!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have the capless system, with a funnel in the trunk? It's a 2-stage flap. It sounds like the second flap didn't open.
Congrats on your choice!
Frank

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid Sport SE. Today, after using about 1/2 tank of gas, I went to fill the tank for the first time. As soon as I put the fuel nozzle into the opening, the nozzle clicked off. This happened several times, with no gas pumped at all. Finally, I had to put absolute minimum pressure on the nozzle in order to slowly fill my tank. It took forever to pump in 7 gallons. Is this a known problem with this vehicle? And is it likely the dealer can fix it? I don't want to have to have to experience this problem for the next 10 years!
Have you tired a different pump or station? I’ve had this happen at some pumps where I had to pull the nozzle part way out to fill without it clicking off. Some pumps seem more sensitive than other. Not sure if this is the reason this occurred for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frank, my sticker says "Easy Fuel Capless Filler". It's anything but easy! I don't know if there's a funnel in the trunk or not. I had test-driven both the Toyota RAV4 and this Escape, and one of the reasons I didn't buy the Toyota was because there were numerous reports online from people who couldn't fill their fuel tanks. So if this car has the same problem and it can't be fixed I'm going to be very upset!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tired a different pump or station? I’ve had this happen at some pumps where I had to pull the nozzle part way out to fill without it clicking off. Some pumps seem more sensitive than other. Not sure if this is the reason this occurred for you.
No, this was my first fill-up. I will try a different station next time. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
903 Posts
No, this was my first fill-up. I will try a different station next time. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
+ 1 on pulling the pump nozzle back towards you a bit because often the sensor or whatever detects a slight bend in the pipe to the tank and mistakes it for fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Please check back and let us know if you've solved your issue. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, please check back. This Escape is the same as the C-Max it replaced. Never had an issue... but reading replies, I perhaps misunderstood. Clicking off is a pump issue; the prop was missing in NYS for many years, so my mind went elsewhere.
Frank

·
Registered
72 Posts
Never had any problem. 4200 miles, 6 complete fill-ups and 3 partials.
Using the California gas pumps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve experienced this, while on a limited basis, with multiple vehicles depending on the pump(s). It happens. Usually a minor adjustment to the angle and/or depth of the nozel does the trick. I don’t think it is an issue with the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove my car today until the gas tank was about 1/3 empty, and then went to a different gas station. I was able to fill my tank in a normal manner! I was so relieved. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. I had never experienced a problem like this with other cars. My last car was a 2011 Fusion Hybrid which only had 3 problems in the 9 years I've had it, and which has 246,000 miles on it and still drives like a new car. So I guess I've been spoiled!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Costco's newest filler nozzles require you to basically seat it all the way against the capless filler. There's no way to leave it hanging anymore. However, I've experienced this off/on for my Fords as far back as 2000. The key is to rotate the nozzle. On my 2007 Mustang, I had to fill it with the nozzle upside down for the first few years. Then it fixed itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem is that if you put the nozzle in all the way it causes the gas to back lash and the nozzle has a very sensitive switch that will trigger it to cut off. In other words the gas nozzle thinks the tank is full. Just back the nozzle out of the tank about half an inch and it won't do that. It's the design of the nozzle and the sensor in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frank, my sticker says "Easy Fuel Capless Filler". It's anything but easy! I don't know if there's a funnel in the trunk or not. I had test-driven both the Toyota RAV4 and this Escape, and one of the reasons I didn't buy the Toyota was because there were numerous reports online from people who couldn't fill their fuel tanks. So if this car has the same problem and it can't be fixed I'm going to be very upset!
Good luck. I bought my 2013 Escape SEL 2 years ago and while I have had no real mechanical problems I dread needing to put fuel into it with an emergency gas tank. The previous owner lost the filler nozzle. It also had in excess of 15 recalls on it. It's great except for the constant "ENGINE FAULT - SERVICE NOW" message that started 2 weeks after I bought it and that NO ONE can fix. Runs fine just the message. Make Ford fix it! It's not normal

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid Sport SE. Today, after using about 1/2 tank of gas, I went to fill the tank for the first time. As soon as I put the fuel nozzle into the opening, the nozzle clicked off. This happened several times, with no gas pumped at all. Finally, I had to put absolute minimum pressure on the nozzle in order to slowly fill my tank. It took forever to pump in 7 gallons. Is this a known problem with this vehicle? And is it likely the dealer can fix it? I don't want to have to experience this problem for the next 10 years!
Was any body else pumping gas at the time you where getting gas. I bet 3/4 the pumps were empty. With not that many people pumping gas the the gas nozzle pressure is higher causing the filler tube to fill to quickly and causing the pump to cut off. My best guest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was any body else pumping gas at the time you where getting gas. I bet 3/4 the pumps were empty. With not that many people pumping gas the the gas nozzle pressure is higher causing the filler tube to fill to quickly and causing the pump to cut off. My best guest
I don't remember if anyone else was pumping gas at the time. I took possession of my car about 10 days ago, and 3 days later the whole dealership closed due to the coronovirus pandemic in my area of Michigan, so I have no idea when I can take it in to be fixed. Bad timing to get a new car, but at least I was able to get it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was your engine shut off?
I tried filling my 2004 Focus with the engine idling, but it has a solenoid valve in the vent line that stays closed when the engine is running. It would cut the nozzle off every couple seconds.
I shut the engine off and it filled normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good question. I had only had the car a few days, and I'm not used to a car in which you don't have to take the key out to turn it off; so I guess it's possible I left it on. I hope that was it! I'll make sure to do that in the future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts