2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid Sport SE. Today, after using about 1/2 tank of gas, I went to fill the tank for the first time. As soon as I put the fuel nozzle into the opening, the nozzle clicked off. This happened several times, with no gas pumped at all. Finally, I had to put absolute minimum pressure on the nozzle in order to slowly fill my tank. It took forever to pump in 7 gallons. Is this a known problem with this vehicle? And is it likely the dealer can fix it? I don't want to have to experience this problem for the next 10 years!
I own the 2020 SE Sport Hybrid also; same thing happened to me the first time I filled my car‘s tank.
After that first fill-up experience, I checked the owners manual.
I found two things in the manual that I made sure to follow subsequently:
1. After pressing the inside switch to pop open the fuel hatch, wait 15 seconds.
2. Be sure to only insert the pump to the first line on the spout.

I’ve only filled my car twice since (total of three times!! once per month), and both times I had no issues.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I own the 2020 SE Sport Hybrid also; same thing happened to me the first time I filled my car‘s tank.
1. After pressing the inside switch to pop open the fuel hatch, wait 15 seconds.

I’ve only filled my car twice since (total of three times!! once per month), and both times I had no issues.
Hope this helps.
Thank you-I will try that! Did you have to hold onto the fuel nozzle, or could you lock it?

·
Registered
813 Posts

Hope this helps.
I am sure that will be a big help to those having this problem. You would have thought that it would be important enough to warrant a dealer heads up when the car was delivered as most owners would just try and refill it in the same way as any other vehicle. :unsure:.

I suppose most dealer sales people only know the cost of the car and which side you sit in to drive it. :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer showed me this when we had a bad gas smell after fueling. Now we put in transmission in Park before shutdown.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very handy info for those with this problem...I doubt anyone would have known that... :unsure: .

·
Registered
2020 Escape
48 Posts
Interesting. According to my 2020 SEL non-hybrid manual, the 8 speed trans will automatically shift to park if left in drive when shutting off the motor.
I’ve tested this feature and it works with no issues.
But since I normally shift to park before I shutoff then motor, I will try letting it shift to park itself and try to refuel.

I’ll post back what happens. But at the rate this thing sips fuel, it will be at least a week before I’ll refuel.

Update: still not time for a fill up. Standby for an update. Maybe by the weekend.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
48 Posts
Update. Finally filled up today. Left the trans in drive when I shut off the vehicle. It shifted itself in to park. I filled the tank from 1/2 to full with no issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Filled up my vehicle today for first time since early April.
No problems; was able to use the fuel pump lock—I cleaned a couple of windows while the tank filled.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts