2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 with 42,445 started having engine problems when water was getting into cylinders. Took it to service and they replaced the engine with a short block. This was on Jan 24 2020.

On March 5, 2020 I took it back for an oil leak. It was determined that the leak was caused by Turbo Tube O-ring rolled and was dripping. Mileage 43430.

Returned car on May, 18 2020 for oil leak again. Mileage 44341. They found the front crank seal was leaking and replaced. Also a new oil pump, because as written in service report "Check oil pump for leak. Replace oil pump, gasket, crank seal, and crank bolt due to I damaged the oil pump bracket for the crankshaft sensor during torque of the crankshaft pulley bolt"..
I realize I still have 16000 miles and 2 years left on warranty.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this many problems with the 2017 2.5 engine Turbo charged?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has had this many problems with the 2017 2.5 engine Turbo charged?
Well, there's the problem right there! The 2.5 liter engine is normally aspirated, non-turbo in other words.

I assume you meant 1.5L EcoBoost I-4, and many on this forum have experienced coolant leaking into the cylinders with that engine, and had it replaced with either a short block or long block.
The nature of your ongoing problems with the short block sound to me like shop and/or tech error; I could be wrong. A short block is just that: "short" of the cylinder head and its internals, and much of the ancillary components (oil pan, timing cover, heads, belt driven components, etc) to make it a functional engine. The rest of the parts come from the original vehicle or ordered through the Parts Dept. The crankshaft seal should have been replaced and installed in your original timing cover. Either it wasn't replaced when your timing cover went on the short block, or it was defective or damaged when installed. The other parts you mention all are either new replacement or came from your original engine. Given the description from the work order you gave, the tech(s) who worked on your car were either inexperienced or careless or both, IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 with 42,445 started having engine problems when water was getting into cylinders. Took it to service and they replaced the engine with a short block. This was on Jan 24 2020.

On March 5, 2020 I took it back for an oil leak. It was determined that the leak was caused by Turbo Tube O-ring rolled and was dripping. Mileage 43430.

Returned car on May, 18 2020 for oil leak again. Mileage 44341. They found the front crank seal was leaking and replaced. Also a new oil pump, because as written in service report "Check oil pump for leak. Replace oil pump, gasket, crank seal, and crank bolt due to I damaged the oil pump bracket for the crankshaft sensor during torque of the crankshaft pulley bolt"..
I realize I still have 16000 miles and 2 years left on warranty.

I had the motor replace less than a year ago due to the coolant issue. They told me today I need a new motor AGAIN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, there's the problem right there! The 2.5 liter engine is normally aspirated, non-turbo in other words.
View attachment 76949
I assume you meant 1.5L EcoBoost I-4, and many on this forum have experienced coolant leaking into the cylinders with that engine, and had it replaced with either a short block or long block.
The nature of your ongoing problems with the short block sound to me like shop and/or tech error; I could be wrong. A short block is just that: "short" of the cylinder head and its internals, and much of the ancillary components (oil pan, timing cover, heads, belt driven components, etc) to make it a functional engine. The rest of the parts come from the original vehicle or ordered through the Parts Dept. The crankshaft seal should have been replaced and installed in your original timing cover. Either it wasn't replaced when your timing cover went on the short block, or it was defective or damaged when installed. The other parts you mention all are either new replacement or came from your original engine. Given the description from the work order you gave, the tech(s) who worked on your car were either inexperienced or careless or both, IMHO
You are correct it was a typo on the engine. It is a 1.5 Turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts