2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone had to do a full replacement of the PTU (I guess also referred to as the PTO)?

I smelled some oil burning while driving and my local mechanic said it's a leak from the PTU and it'll need to be replaced, along with axel seals and whatever else, looking at about $2,500.00. I declined and may take it to a specialty transmission shop.

Other threads in the forum cite Ford saying this is not a maintenance part, but some folks change the PTU oil around 30k miles.

If I don't do this repair, I assume there are other issues that I'll soon be dealing with?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said it wasn't serviceable, like because it's busted it would require a full replacement. Not defending it, not really sure what to make of that.

I can drive the car and everything right now, just still smells like it's burning a small amount of oil usually after driving at high speeds and then coming to a stop light

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
43 Posts
They said it wasn't serviceable, like because it's busted it would require a full replacement. Not defending it, not really sure what to make of that.

I can drive the car and everything right now, just still smells like it's burning a small amount of oil usually after driving at high speeds and then coming to a stop light
Not all PTU's are the same and I don't know much about the one in our escapes, but I can tell you that Ford replaced all the seals and fluid on the PTU in my Taurus SHO for $350. I would try taking it to another dealership and checking with them first. Oftentimes dealers just want you to replace things instead of rebuild because it's more money in their pockets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all PTU's are the same and I don't know much about the one in our escapes, but I can tell you that Ford replaced all the seals and fluid on the PTU in my Taurus SHO for $350. I would try taking it to another dealership and checking with them first. Oftentimes dealers just want you to replace things instead of rebuild because it's more money in their pockets.
Thanks, this was a local shop and not a dealer. I called the dealer to price out parts and they said that the PTU can't be fixed, it's usually a full replacement if it goes bad (not sure if that includes seal replacement or not though).

I think I'll try the dealer first just to see what they say, they may have a different take on what needs to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,256 Posts
Have a look on Tasca parts to see what they show is available in the way of seals etc. www.tascaparts.com

Reactions: GRIF3

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

i guess my question was based on that it seems like they didnt open it up to see damaged gears or clutches or whatnot, just that they observed a leaking seal.
so I wondered if the problem was literally just a leaking seal, which is servicible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I asked about replacing PTU fluid at 32,000 when Ford flushed our transmission. There is only 18 ounces of fluid in the PTU. He said they only go bad when fluid leaks out, or there is internal leakage of trans fluid into the PTU that requires gear oil. I'm skeptical and will look for an independent shop...especially when they won't even check the fluid level.

·
Registered
'18 Titanium AWD
5 Posts
'18 2.0 AWD ... I get my PTU and transmission serviced at the same time, every 30k miles. My local transmission shop was also able to change the fluid in the rear differential this last time, even though the rear diff is very difficult to service (search YouTube for a rear diff video). I'll probably continue with trans & PTU servicing every 30k; & rear diff every 60k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I was surprised at the amount of info on replacing the PTU fluid on youtube but it is not indicated in any maintenance from Ford. I guess you learn the hard way.

I think I will try a specialty transmission shop next, or possibly the dealer. Will update this thread as I learn more because I could not find a ton of information about this scenario.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts